Lane Kiffin with a little levity and hard truth

Advertisement
A lot of teams are becoming farm teams because of both the portal and NIL. Kiffin has lost a lot of players to the portal, I wonder if they went for NIL money?

Ppl don’t listen man. Lol. I tried to warn ppl when the news broke out. I wasn’t guessing, I talked to ppl in the know about this. Basically it was said once the NCAA got defeated by the Supreme Court, they were scared af to even touch it. So basically CFB was going to become MLB where The Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers can sign whoever they want, and then there’s the rest.

I said in one of the threads, everything needs checks & balances. Yeah kids need to get paid, but the purpose of the NIL is not what we’re seeing today. Ed O sued b/c it dawned on him that EA Sports NCAA Basketball had his image on their cover & he received nothing. UCLA was selling his jerseys, signed memorabilia, & he made nothing. The NCAA tourney would have posters hanging in the rafters of past MOPs for the tourney & he received nothing. That’s why he sued. That’s the purpose, not this Wild, Wild West chit where boosters can openly pay outlandishly for players.

Just like there’s rules & regulations around NFL FA, coaching moves, & salaries, there needs to be rules & regulations around Coaching Moves, The Portal, & NIL. I stand by that, or we’ll see less & less perceived parity, & more roster turnover every year.
I follow European football. Their leagues are a lot closer to college football today. No salary cap, big money clubs rotate title wins between basically 4 clubs, and everyone else tries to avoid relegation.

We will always be “mid table strugglers,” at best, in an uncapped world.

A lot of teams are becoming farm teams because of both the portal and NIL. Kiffin has lost a lot of players to the portal, I wonder if they went for NIL money?
I agree. One thing everyone should think about, Americans don’t watch farm teams in any other sport so how long will this keep up?

Advertisement
I follow European football. Their leagues are a lot closer to college football today. No salary cap, big money clubs rotate title wins between basically 4 clubs, and everyone else tries to avoid relegation.

I wonder if eventually some smart school will start implementing a “money ball” approach.

Advertisement

Yep! Exactly bro!

Advertisement
Ppl don’t listen man. Lol. I tried to warn ppl when the news broke out. I wasn’t guessing, I talked to ppl in the know about this. Basically it was said once the NCAA got defeated by the Supreme Court, they were scared af to even touch it. So basically CFB was going to become MLB where The Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers can sign whoever they want, and then there’s the rest.

I said in one of the threads, everything needs checks & balances. Yeah kids need to get paid, but the purpose of the NIL is not what we’re seeing today. Ed O sued b/c it dawned on him that EA Sports NCAA Basketball had his image on their cover & he received nothing. UCLA was selling his jerseys, signed memorabilia, & he made nothing. The NCAA tourney would have posters hanging in the rafters of past MOPs for the tourney & he received nothing. That’s why he sued. That’s the purpose, not this Wild, Wild West chit where boosters can openly pay outlandishly for players.

Just like there’s rules & regulations around NFL FA, coaching moves, & salaries, there needs to be rules & regulations around Coaching Moves, The Portal, & NIL. I stand by that, or we’ll see less & less perceived parity, & more roster turnover every year.
Yeah, I really don’t get how people think this took the cuffs off Miami and now we can compete. Ruiz was always around…had he wanted to he could have swung Kids money in a bag. Maybe a few folks are now onboard because of legality, but the advantage the big schools have is still there. And maybe it’s increased. People hate the ncaa…for good reason, but if they don’t somehow cap this mess, we’ll get left behind. Again.

Although I agree with you, the fact is the NCAA is no long in control. Its the conferences, more to the point the SEC. They are the ones that have to setup rules for their members around NIL deals, and at this point they don't seem to have an apatite nor care to lift a finger. For the SEC it only means they own college football and the more super teams they can grow, the more the "National Championship" will simply be a SEC playoff. To me the interesting part is how long will the TV public keep tuning into a all SEC or SEC dominated National Championship series. TV money goes away and the TV contracts start to dry up then schools will start to take notice. Right now its monopoly money for UGA, UT, TAMU, UA with big boosters pouring money into the programs. When will it end, who knows. But Program cost have to hit a wall eventually. Coaches are making 10m now and NIL player deals of 25m. Whats next 30mill for head coach, another 20m for assistances, 75 mil for program cost (outside of on field coaches and NIL), and 60 mil for NIL? Somewhere along the lines it will hit a wall. Money is not endless
The conferences don’t have much incentive to put a stop to this. Everybody is looking at the guy behind and thinking “if we cap the money, that guy will catch up to me”. Everybody is looking at it as the advantage they have, not the advantage somebody else has over them. And forget the sec ever supporting limits, what would they gain?

This is an interesting time because boosters and teams like the Aggies are going to push all the chips in and have 25mil “Nil salary cap” for their classes… will be an interesting thing to see if it pays off for them or it blows up in their face and these kids transfer out and the Aggies keep spinning their 8win wheels…..

Something to watch for sure

Advertisement
A lot of people said the same about Kirby and JImbo has much more money.
I'm going to take a slightly contrarian view here.

I've watched Saban's body language and words these past few months whenever NIL comes up.

I think he's scared. I think he knows Alabama and Auburn just don't have the market and alumni base to compete long-term with CFB teams that have both. Clemson's fúcked too in a non-capped D1P5 world.

You know who might slowly creep back into conversations? SMU.

Ironic quotes about being disadvantaged from a guy whose been at an advantage his whole life.

Not in favor of taking away or capping bread from the labor force. And it isn’t paying the players until the $$$ comes from the school pockets which won’t happen.

Top recruits are getting money, not all of them are league bound. Good for them to get some $$$ on the front end. Of course lane doesn’t care what the average 3* recruit is or isn’t getting

That luxury tax joke was mad funny though lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back