Lane Kiffin with a little levity and hard truth

Advertisement

Do you think Saban and Jimbo actually believe this? Like they have been living this lie for so long that they actually are convinced they have never paid a player or family to go there before NIL deals? It’s actually incredible.

Advertisement
in response to kiffin it seems

U know the problem w/ liars? They can’t keep their lies str8.

Fisher from December 16, 2021:

“NIL has been going on for a long time,” Fisher said. “It just hasn’t been above board. Now it is, and I think it does affect things. Because other people don’t have the advantages they used to have and how they did things and the way they did things.”

I remember when my ex wife used to not allow me to finish a sentence or become hella defensive before I could finish a thought, I immediately knew she was lying. That’s what liars do; they sound so adamant, convincing, appalled, etc, but can’t keep a lie str8. C’mon Jimbo, do better blood.

College football is going to eventually split into "NFL minor league" and The Ivy League Model. The pros will pay for their rosters and may impose caps or "taxes". The Ivys will hold open try outs for 100% walk-ons. If you are a fan of Harvard or Vandy you will be happy to win your conference and to beat your rival. If you are USC it is College Super Bowl or bust......................

I don't see why that would make a difference. Didn't Jimbo already beat Saban in the regular season?
yet Jimbo went 4-4 in the conference and his win was by a whooping 3 points, finished 5th in the 7 team SEC West and lost the final game to the 7th rated West team (LSU) to end the season. Had top talent at FSU and left them in horrible shape.

Advertisement
These coaches whine so much. I never hear them complaining about how big schools can afford to pay coaches more and hire more staff than small schools🤔 fairness only comes into play when it's about player compensation.

Never liked it from day one. What good "helping Miami" if it ruins college football?
I said this ruling would open a huge can of worms and it did. Not even sure if it is good to dangle this much money in front of HS kids.

Advertisement
As long as every state has the same guidelines I’m fine with the players getting paid. With us and usc back on the scene they can pay 60 mill a year and it still won’t guarantee a natty.

Ppl don’t listen man. Lol. I tried to warn ppl when the news broke out. I wasn’t guessing, I talked to ppl in the know about this. Basically it was said once the NCAA got defeated by the Supreme Court, they were scared af to even touch it. So basically CFB was going to become MLB where The Yankees, Mets, and Dodgers can sign whoever they want, and then there’s the rest.

I said in one of the threads, everything needs checks & balances. Yeah kids need to get paid, but the purpose of the NIL is not what we’re seeing today. Ed O sued b/c it dawned on him that EA Sports NCAA Basketball had his image on their cover & he received nothing. UCLA was selling his jerseys, signed memorabilia, & he made nothing. The NCAA tourney would have posters hanging in the rafters of past MOPs for the tourney & he received nothing. That’s why he sued. That’s the purpose, not this Wild, Wild West chit where boosters can openly pay outlandishly for players.

Just like there’s rules & regulations around NFL FA, coaching moves, & salaries, there needs to be rules & regulations around Coaching Moves, The Portal, & NIL. I stand by that, or we’ll see less & less perceived parity, & more roster turnover every year.
You are correct on all points, but I will always blame the NC2A for not being open minded and creating a payment system. Had this happened 20, 10, even 5 years ago I think there would have been much less of a push by players for NIL. But the combo of, ‘you aren’t paying me a dime, you are making billions off TV, ticket sales, the coaches making 5-10 million, AND you are using my NIL to make money which you won’t share’, became too much and the lawsuits commenced.

I ahve said over and over again, like you, that NIL is the opening of Pandora’s box. And there is no control on it, potentially ever, because it is a Supreme Court decision. Even if the schools and NC2A finally get their heads out of their collective asses and create an actual payment system, players will always sue for, and win lawsuits involving the use of the player’s NIL. Basically, even if players are paid $1000/week or month, the players can always make more off the NIL.

You are correct on all points, but I will always blame the NC2A for not being open minded and creating a payment system. Had this happened 20, 10, even 5 years ago I think there would have been much less of a push by players for NIL. But the combo of, ‘you aren’t paying me a dime, you are making billions off TV, ticket sales, the coaches making 5-10 million, AND you are using my NIL to make money which you won’t share’, became too much and the lawsuits commenced.

I ahve said over and over again, like you, that NIL is the opening of Pandora’s box. And there is no control on it, potentially ever, because it is a Supreme Court decision. Even if the schools and NC2A finally get their heads out of their collective asses and create an actual payment system, players will always sue for, and win lawsuits involving the use of the player’s NIL. Basically, even if players are paid $1000/week or month, the players can always make more off the NIL.

Bingo; this could’ve been avoided yrs ago. One of my friends graduated w/ Charles O’Bannon & they r still tight. We were talking about this, I wanna say maybe 6 yrs ago. Ed’s beef was, how is that EA Sports is making $, The NCAA is making $, UCLA is making $, Reebok is making $, yet he ain’t seen a red cent?

The NCAA was offered several opportunities to mitigate this, & each time they fought against it, hiding behind the guise of amateurism. TV contracts kept increasing, coaching salaries kept increasing, buildings kept going up as school’s kept benefiting from athletics.

But now, w/ no regulation + politics getting involved, I knew this NIL was going to be a mess. There’s nothing structured behind it, and Senators in various states pushing for this are from The South. Lol. Of course they are b/c they r fans, too. Now, after seeing this unintended consequence, politicians r trying to impose taxes on these deals, where I read one politician is proposing to allow kids to “earn” a tax-free education or taxed education. Lol

None of this had to go this route, IF the NCAA would’ve been fwd thinkers & came up w/ parameters around players being paid, and had it put in to their regulations. Now? The language is ambiguous (and everyone knows how I feel about contractual & bylaw ambiguities), and these NILs structures r varied from state to state. That’s a problem when u’re a member of a “supposed” structured organization.

Advertisement
Although I agree with you, the fact is the NCAA is no long in control. Its the conferences, more to the point the SEC. They are the ones that have to setup rules for their members around NIL deals, and at this point they don't seem to have an apatite nor care to lift a finger. For the SEC it only means they own college football and the more super teams they can grow, the more the "National Championship" will simply be a SEC playoff. To me the interesting part is how long will the TV public keep tuning into a all SEC or SEC dominated National Championship series. TV money goes away and the TV contracts start to dry up then schools will start to take notice. Right now its monopoly money for UGA, UT, TAMU, UA with big boosters pouring money into the programs. When will it end, who knows. But Program cost have to hit a wall eventually. Coaches are making 10m now and NIL player deals of 25m. Whats next 30mill for head coach, another 20m for assistances, 75 mil for program cost (outside of on field coaches and NIL), and 60 mil for NIL? Somewhere along the lines it will hit a wall. Money is not endless
Money is not endless???? Sure it is
Do you observe what our govt does????😂

Advertisement
Back