Kul out at Bama

Clemson beat them in every area of that game - across the entire D & O.

Pretty much. Although I thought Baga ran the ball fairly well.

Clem$on played an aggressive D focused on taking away the short passing game and using their pass rush to try to take away the deep ball, which worked fairly well. We saw that with Baga's first TD of the game when they were able to find Jeudy singled against a completely overmatched safety for a deep TD.

Baga just wasn't able to make enough of those plays before Tigger got to them with their pass rush. At the end of the day, the matchup of the game really was Clem$on's OL and receivers against Baga's D. Baga just could not stop Clem$on. As a result, Baga's offense became predictable as they fell behind and it was a feast for Tigger D.

Conclusion: For me at least, the positional matchup that most influenced the outcome of that game was Tigger OL vs. Baga DL.

Advertisement
Simpson got beat out by Kuligowski for two prospects in this cycle. Now, we may get one back on the rebound, but our top two DL prospects on the board went to Miami.

I am cool with Simpson so far, but people are vastly overrating him.

I like that we are really, desperately, trying to build up depth at the position and still looking to add two more DT...a Grad Transfer and a freshman...these are things I've been pounding the table for, for years...so its nice to see us landing this position in numbers. With that said, our class lacks high end prospects in a world where high end savage interior linemen are necessary. Simpson will need to really coach up the group we have.

Agreed with everything you said.

As for the bolded part, this is what fans of a team do. We overrated Kul until we lost him, now we hate him. It's called being a fan.

Actually, it's called being human. There are all kinds of biases that we put into our evaluations of things, people, and systems. I'm listening to a fascinating Michael Lewis book right now called "The Undoing Project" about a couple of Isreali psychologists who won a Nobel for Economics by showing how people systematically make poor judgments in our perceptions of what's important and what is valuable. It kind of builds on "Money Ball". One of the topics discussed in the book is Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets and how he kind of pioneered bringing Money Ball to the NBA. I highly recommend. It's entertaining and extremely illuminating.

Kool is a good DL coach, everyone relax. He was a weird fit for Bama’s 3-4

This.

It was a poor hire and a poor decision by both.

Yes, Saban makes them.

Likewise, Kul saw Bama and said, "Yes, please."

I don't have everyone who moves on from UM.

Kul came here and got our DL to play with aggressiveness and speed again.

Some guys even flourished.

Can I ask why everyone loves Simpson so much? When people say he’s a better recruiter, which recruits are we referring to?

I like him because he appears to be a good teacher who helps the players we have play better on the field.

I think arguing that coaches are or aren't good recruiters is like arguing that the egg HAS to come before the chicken, even though we all know that there can't be an egg unless there was a chicken first to lay the egg.

The point being, a coach that maximizes and improves the ability of his players, and is working for a dynamic and winning organization, will become a good recruiter if he is willing to put in the effort, time, and humility to do it.

I don't care for "ace recruiters" who bring in kids because of whatever shady things are done behind the scenes or because they are buddy buddy with the kids, if those kids don't end up playing like studs on Saturdays and going on to getting drafted highly in the NFL.

Simpson puts out a solid to great product on Saturday. We win 12 games and Simpson has kids getting drafted and playing on Sundays, I bet you he'll get more than his fair share in that recruiting cycle.

Pretty much. Although I thought Baga ran the ball fairly well.

Clem$on played an aggressive D focused on taking away the short passing game and using their pass rush to try to take away the deep ball, which worked fairly well. We saw that with Baga's first TD of the game when they were able to find Jeudy singled against a completely overmatched safety for a deep TD.

Baga just wasn't able to make enough of those plays before Tigger got to them with their pass rush. At the end of the day, the matchup of the game really was Clem$on's OL and receivers against Baga's D. Baga just could not stop Clem$on. As a result, Baga's offense became predictable as they fell behind and it was a feast for Tigger D.

Conclusion: For me at least, the positional matchup that most influenced the outcome of that game was Tigger OL vs. Baga DL.

I totally agree. I've seen people say Bama should have chosen to run the ball more. Well, they still would have lost because almost every time Clemson needed to make a play offensively they did. Bama doubled them up on time of possession in the first half and was still down by double digits at the half.

Advertisement
Simpson got beat out by Kuligowski for two prospects in this cycle. Now, we may get one back on the rebound, but our top two DL prospects on the board went to Miami.

I like that we are really, desperately, trying to build up depth at the position and still looking to add two more DT...a Grad Transfer and a freshman...these are things I've been pounding the table for, for years...so its nice to see us landing this position in numbers. With that said, our class lacks high end prospects in a world where high end savage interior linemen are necessary. Simpson will need to really coach up the group we have.

This is how I’ve seen it too. Kul got some elite guys last year in Silvera and Rousseau so I’m wondering why people are saying Simpson is such a better recruiter.

I like him because he appears to be a good teacher who helps the players we have play better on the field.

I think arguing that coaches are or aren't good recruiters is like arguing that the egg HAS to come before the chicken, even though we all know that there can't be an egg unless there was a chicken first to lay the egg.

The point being, a coach that maximizes and improves the ability of his players, and is working for a dynamic and winning organization, will become a good recruiter if he is willing to put in the effort, time, and humility to do it.

I don't care for "ace recruiters" who bring in kids because of whatever shady things are done behind the scenes or because they are buddy buddy with the kids, if those kids don't end up playing like studs on Saturdays and going on to getting drafted highly in the NFL.

Simpson puts out a solid to great product on Saturday. We win 12 games and Simpson has kids getting drafted and playing on Sundays, I bet you he'll get more than his fair share in that recruiting cycle.

The DL was mostly upperclassmen last year and I think just about anyone would’ve looked good coaching a DL of Willis, Jackson and Garvin. I’d like to see how the DL plays in 2019 and what kind of recruits we sign in 2020.

Advertisement
Jesus, the bitterness on here is disgusting. Now Kool is overrated?
Alabama was ranked #1 in the country at creating pressure while only rushing 4.
And his resume from Mizzou speaks for itself.

Same MF's that call Kool overrated are the same dopes that wanna suck Rumph's pee-pee because Adrian Colbert played 3 downs in the NFL. (at a position that Rumph doesn't even coach lol)

It's all the same **** our fans said when we lost Stoutland. You guys get in your feelings every time we lose a coach or recruit, and all of a sudden they're overrated.

You dudes are a weird breed.

And LOL @ Simpson being an upgrade. Based on fvckin' WHAT exactly? He had the benefit of coaching a man-amongst-boys in Willis, an upperclassman Joe Jackson and a potential 1st day pick in Garvin. And his unit got pushed around like little children versus Wisconsin.

Because numbers matter too. Kul signed like 7 DL in three classes.

For all these numbers, do you truthfully see any of these guys starting in the next few years? I don't see any of them being close to Rousseau, Garvin, Ford or Silvera, but maybe one of them will step up. Glad we have warm bodies for the 2nd half against Bethune Cookman tho.

Jesus, the bitterness on here is disgusting. Now Kool is overrated?
Alabama was ranked #1 in the country at creating pressure while only rushing 4.
And his resume from Mizzou speaks for itself.

Same MF's that call Kool overrated are the same dopes that wanna suck Rumph's pee-pee because Adrian Colbert played 3 downs in the NFL. (at a position that Rumph doesn't even coach lol)

It's all the same **** our fans said when we lost Stoutland. You guys get in your feelings every time we lose a coach or recruit, and all of a sudden they're overrated.

You dudes are a weird breed.

And LOL @ Simpson being an upgrade. Based on fvckin' WHAT exactly? He had the benefit of coaching a man-amongst-boys in Willis, an upperclassman Joe Jackson and a potential 1st day pick in Garvin. And his unit got pushed around like little children versus Wisconsin.

that team quit in the bowl. it was beyond obvious

Advertisement
Agreed with everything you said.

As for the bolded part, this is what fans of a team do. We overrated Kul until we lost him, now we hate him. It's called being a fan.

Actually, it's called being human. There are all kinds of biases that we put into our evaluations of things, people, and systems. I'm listening to a fascinating Michael Lewis book right now called "The Undoing Project" about a couple of Isreali psychologists who won a Nobel for Economics by showing how people systematically make poor judgments in our perceptions of what's important and what is valuable. It kind of builds on "Money Ball". One of the topics discussed in the book is Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets and how he kind of pioneered bringing Money Ball to the NBA. I highly recommend. It's entertaining and extremely illuminating.
I think what people are rating Simpson on is the performance of his unit, not his recruiting skills.

Advertisement

Kul is the reason we are trying to get as many bodies as possible in the DLine. The numbers arent right

Coker treatment
Yea.. an elite guy will make eveybody look better, no arguing that point, so I see what you’re saying. The bowl game wasn’t pretty with Willis not there, but I didn’t really see anybody underperform throughout the season to a degree I’d be concerned about. Did you?

Mr Franchise, Dr Legend...whatever you would like to be called. I have to say this. The other thread was blocked for whatever reason. Weakness? Tackiness? Lack of grit? I can’t say. What I can say is thank you for your years of intelligent wit and comedic prose. You have given so much laughter over the years and your defense of tdub might have reached an all time high this evening. Those who don’t understand it are lacking somehow. Bill Shakespeare himself would be remiss not to at least bow to his knees and deliver the royal gumjob. Great work again. It’s appreciated more than you know.
Thank you, my long time dear friend. It was an unfortunate lock of that thread for certain, brother. They killed some great gentlemanly discourse.

Advertisement
Back