Kobe Baynes, 2020 OG from Jacksonville

Advertisement
Offensive line is the hardest position group to recruit, develop, and evaluate.

I think this year the coaches expected buy in from guys like Walker, Dumervil, etc... and tried taking 3-5 well known guys with feet. It didn’t work. The troubling part to me is the backup plans seem to have fallen off as well. I don’t see them scrambling for an unheralded Zion Nelson late, I see them scrambling in every direction late.

I’d have more confidence in their offensive line recruiting if the staff was visiting and offering (not letting commit) dozens of tall light athletic projects (2-3 years of development needed) months ago. With them supposedly dropping 1 of their only 3 recruits the current trend is ugly.

They appear to have taken their shot early at guys who project to play early and everyone wants. That might have worked if this team didn’t have 4 losses today or didn’t take most of the season to find an offensive identity and get the offensive line playing acceptable.

does this kid have any legit interest in us? he is a take all day!
I checked his twitter and someone responded “Now the decision is easy bro”.
If it’s someone he knows it seems like he’s been waiting on the offer.
It may also be just a UM fan.
I just found the “now” comment interesting.

Quality offer if he can keep his weight down. His highlights showed he's pretty good at both run and pass blocking. I agree with the others who say he his feet aren't fast enough to be a tackle. But he could make a solid guard. ... Happy we offered. But, tbh, I don't see why Barry didn't just take Love.

p.s., can we please focus on tackles now? We can't roll with 15 OGs/Cs.

Quality offer if he can keep his weight down. His highlights showed he's pretty good at both run and pass blocking. I agree with the others who say he his feet aren't fast enough to be a tackle. But he could make a solid guard. ... Happy we offered. But, tbh, I don't see why Barry didn't just take Love.

I say we lean in and just start five 6'1" linemen. What could go wrong?

Advertisement

We have 2 tackles committed who are 6'6 and 6'7. Probably will look for one more tackle or swing guy and then one true interior guy.

There’s a lot of people on this board who needs a tutorial in recruiting. I have no problem with Miami actually evaluating off of tape. Senior tape. They’ve been on these kids.

Film looks very good but i thought Clevland Reeds film looked great also and he never was was a factor before going into the portal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That “someone” is Jason Blissett

1DFD3AA2-C102-420D-B64B-2E4C99975DE3.gif

Look man, recruiting aint easy... Offer to soon and you get a bunch of bullchit recruits that don't pan out in their senior year or others that take the bait to later leave for what they perceive to be a better offer. Happens all the time. Others say, offer every freaking 5 star because we got nothing to lose, which doesn't work either because if the recruit doesn't have a genuine interest in Miami, he aint coming... Then you have to deal with all the incentives (wink, wink) being throw around by the boosters of these big schools to coaches, admins, family members, etc. The $$$ is crazy. Ideally, the kid would have attended a camp over the summer and a game during the year. Now with that being said, crying over spilt milk is silly. If the kid has interest, he will visit.

Yes recruiting ain't easy but the point was that just cuz someone points out deficiencies in our staff doesn't mean we're bashing for no reason.

If there's one position group we need to get right this year, it's the OL. We should have been on top of this position group from the get go and shouldn't be late to offer good talent. We have like a billion scholarships to give since we're so far under our number so take a few extra on OL. I understand we can't get them all but in the summer we realized Tommy Kennedy was a trash transfer and the rest of the guys weren't developing the way we thought they would have.

Still time to turn things around but Manny's got be on his A-game this class.

Advertisement
We have 2 tackles committed who are 6'6 and 6'7. Probably will look for one more tackle or swing guy and then one true interior guy.

Washington is definitely a tackle. Rivers may end up inside. That’s not a knock on him. I’m just not sure he can handle top end rush ends at his projected size. Anyway, we need more tackles, preferably turn key from Juco or another P5 program. Other than Nelson and El Gammal, who on roster is a true OT?

Advertisement
Back