King is a below average thrower, and we can’t beat good teams with him as a passer

Advertisement
King is a very good leader, he’s experienced and he can do a lot with his feet, but he handicaps us because he can’t throw the ball against good teams. At best he’s mediocre, but if we’re being honest, he’s a below average passer. On top of that, the guy is “maybe” 5’9”, and because of his miniature stature he can’t see over the line and/or the throwing lanes.

King is a good teammate, good person and a good leader, but he is stunting the teams growth and there is no way we’re beating Bama, UNC or any other good team with him under center. It’s not going to happen. And now we’re talking about putting a 75% King out there this season? His strength is running, not throwing.

We need to start Van Dyke and get Garcia some snaps every game. King was a great stop gap option for 2020, but let’s be realistic. A non throwing, 75% King will hurt us far more than he will help us in 2021.
Some people don't deserve nice things..... You, you are some people. SMH

Respect your opinion, but if you know any of the Cane receivers ask them privately who they believe is the best QB on the team?
I can ask Joe Williams and his son about it, if you want. His son can ask some of Miamis receivers, I am sure about that.

Apart from that, this thread is just so stupid. People want to start freshman QBs over a senior, because the freshman QBs showed IN A SPRING GAME that they have enough arm strength to cover all routes. Again, IN A SPRING GAME, where coverage was vanilla, pass rush was limited because the QB cant be hit and plays were called off prematurely because Garcia took too long to make a decision.

And for the people who wonder why he doesnt get insulted as much as you all did when you said this: CIS is like a High School cafeteria with loads of drama in it. A lot of fights where food gets thrown around because of a simple misunderstanding. However, in this case, A) the food has run out and B) people are tired of discussing nonsense.

32F273A4-F136-4968-80AA-E24B6B08B52C.gif

Advertisement
King didn’t actually have anyone to throw to that ran pass patterns and could catch except TE the rest stunk for lack of a better word.

This year King lays claim to his throne

GOCANES
Great point. Below average WR play and an average oline and this dude wants to start a freshmen that hasn’t played live snaps at this level yet against BAMA LOL

King is a good teammate, good person and a good leader, but he is stunting the teams growth and there is no way we’re beating Bama, UNC or any other good team with him under center. It’s not going to happen. And now we’re talking about putting a 75% King out there this season? His strength is running, not throwing.

We need to start Van Dyke and get Garcia some snaps every game. King was a great stop gap option for 2020, but let’s be realistic. A non throwing, 75% King will hurt us far more than he will help us in 2021.
King is a very good leader, he’s experienced and he can do a lot with his feet, but he handicaps us because he can’t throw the ball against good teams. At best he’s mediocre, but if we’re being honest, he’s a below average passer. On top of that, the guy is “maybe” 5’9”, and because of his miniature stature he can’t see over the line and/or the throwing lanes.

We should get garcia and tvd snaps in the games when the games clearly over, not every game. I’d take King with his legs at 50% over starting a rs freshman in his first game against a Saban defense that’s stacked talent wise. Kings a 6 year sr with intangibles you’re not giving himself enough credit for.

kings going to start anyways so done with this 🧵

I actually agree with the premise of this post. I disagree about our ability to beat teams like UNC with King. We absolutely should be able to beat teams like UNC with King, but you are right, we have no shot at beating teams like Bama with King (not that we had any shot anyway).

Lashlee's play calling with King in the game was frustrating as **** many times throughout the season, and I think it was largely due to King's limitations. Lashlee's play calling was much different (in a good way) when Perry came in the game after King got hurt.
When you cant pick up third and one it does not matter who the QB is !!

Advertisement
And he accomplished this despite the fact we had the most dropped passes in the ACC. Imagine how good he will be with some receivers who can actually catch the football.
This: he had not one but two Lance Leggets as two of his main offensive weapons, his actual best pass catcher injured a chunk of the season, and a below average offensive line and still had the numbers he did.

The offense didn't open up. The offense was getting going on the drive that King got hurt. If Clark doesn't get called for holding the score is 21-14 with about 4 minutes to go. Instead King gets hurt and we settle for a FG. Cam Harris broke off a long TD run in the third and just like the offense has done all year Lashlee set up shot plays by forcing plays that he probably knew weren't going to work based on our OL. Perry's longest throw of the game was a 4th and 2 where he faked a QB run and Mallory slipped behind a safety or LB peaking in the backfield. Stuff we'd done all year. It worked because on the previous down Lashlee called an actual QB run play that got stuffed. The same as it had in the first half with King. Mallory got tackled inside the 5. 1st and goal was a wildcat play with Cam Harris that got us down to the 2. The next play same formation but Perry was back in at QB, he faked a run and lobbed one to Jordan who made a one-handed catch. More deception. Not because of Perry's ability to throw and open up the offense.

Just look at this throw by Perry. He probably cost Brevin a TD because of how poorly he threw it and you think that Perry entering the game as a thrower opened up the offense? This drive ended in a FG

Lets go to later in the game on the final drive. 3rd and long and Perry throws a ball behind Jordan on a slant. If he hits him in stride Jordan has a chance to break a tackle and gets a first a down and maybe more. King made a throw similar to this to Harley to beat NC State

But sure the offense opened up because a thrower was inserted.

All I saw was Wiggins drop.

UNC lost to Jordan Travis, That UVA QB, and Ian Book.

Advertisement
There's no way he's 100 percent by the first game. Physically he may be, but mentally his injury is going to be in his head, wondering if he can make this cut or that cut.

I don't like suggesting that an injury can be a positive, but even in practice I expect him to be tentative running at first even though he'll be in a red vest. So he'll be working even more on throwing because of it I would guess.

Bama is 100 percent going to leave their corners on an island and shut down anything we throw at them on the ground. They'll stack the box and with a returning King, we better hope we can get guys open and work a short passing game.

Unless King is gimpy as ****, there's no way I put a first time starter in. It's still a scary prospect that this is King's first game back. Saban will want to embarrass us, which is his norm for anyone. What better selling point to the elites they will recruit down here than a thrashing of us.

I don't know how he's gonna come back from his injury but last years King is good enough for an 11-1 record this coming year. You're kidding yourself if you think King is the reason Miami can't beat elite teams. Just simply changing to Garcia or TVD doesn't change that. The only suck part with King is that he's missed two springs now with Lash and the offense.

Advertisement
Why did the offense open up when Perry came in the bowl game? Because king is not a thrower. Plain and simple.
Shall we talk
Too short to see the throwing lanes? What does that mean?
All the **** time. Us old heads remember. I'm not making it up. But believe what you want. It's actually not hard to imagine. His arm strength was meh.. He had zero mobility.. Is it really that hard to imagine some people foolishly thought we would be better off with a note athletic, stronger armed QB?
Yo bro.. Ole head here. Started going to the OB to watch the Canes play since the early 70's. Been plugged into Cane message boards since dial up. I'm not saying some moron didn't call for KD to be benched on a message board. I'm just saying I never heard any bench KD chatter, ever! Not saying it didn't happen but I never read it or heard it. Dude was literally as close to being undeafeated while he was our QB. I've seen people be critical of him after he was gone but not while he was dropping L's on almost every team he played.

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Back