King and QB recruiting

Lamar Jackson has the measurements to be a QB or WR at 6'2".... King is 5'10"... I hate to say it but he is going to be hard pressed to play QB in the NFL unless he is a legit Heisman contender. It's not his QB play thats going to hinder him, its his size. He will have to light it up like Russell Wilson.
Or kyler murray and i think drew brees is barely 6ft!

Advertisement
I love King, but I don't know that he's the third-best NFL draft prospect at the QB position.

It's not just about performance. It's about the fact that every year, some guy(s) at 6'3" will create a drooling frenzy when walking into the combine.
He's not the third best. At least not to most. I said at best he's the third best draft prospect after Lawrence and Fields. As in, his ceiling is after those two.

He's not the third best. At least not to most. I said at best he's the third best draft prospect after Lawrence and Fields. As in, his ceiling is after those two.

Gotcha, my bad.

Yeah, I think we can make a strong case for him staying.

The only time a shorter QB gets any sort of credit from NFL types, it is by piling up a mountain of stats.

Let King put up huge numbers in 2020 AND 2021, without being injured, and it certainly strengthens his case.

Great discussion. Maybe we hit the portal again. I was just hoping he would stay one more year with the ruling and maybe he will, maybe he won’t. We will see. I’ll enjoy this year

Advertisement
Kyler Murray recently got drafted #1 overall with poor measurables. But the guy can do things that only a select few others can do.

Do I think King will be the #1 pick? No. Do I think King has a chance in the NFL? Yes.

That throw to Mike Harley on the run is why I think he'll get drafted in the league. I don't know if it will be a high pick, but he'll get a shot. There's enough tape of him doing amazing things that only a select few people can do in this world. I think he'll go declare no matter what after this year.

For sh*ts and giggles, here's how Murray and King's 2018 seasons compared:

Kyler Murray - 2018 College Football Season
Height:
5'10 (he's actually 5'9)
Weight: 207 lbs
Passing Yards: 4,361
Passing TD: 42
Int: 7
Rushing Yards: 1,0001
Rushing TD: 12

D'Eriq King - 2018 College Football Season
Height:
5'11
Weight: 202 lbs
Passing Yards: 2,982
Passing TD: 36
Int: 6
Rushing Yards: 674
Rushing TD: 14

King will measure shorter than Murray. One thing you failed to mention was that Murray is an elite athlete. King is not.

King might get drafted but he's a 6th-7th round type, imo. Let's see how he does this year but he's at best a 5th round pick.

King will measure shorter than Murray. One thing you failed to mention was that Murray is an elite athlete. King is not.

King might get drafted but he's a 6th-7th round type, imo. Let's see how he does this year but he's at best a 5th round pick.
I mean I very clearly said he's not a #1 pick and I'm not sure how high he'll get picked, just that I think he'll have a chance at getting picked lol.

Advertisement
Just stop, King is going to have a special season and get drafted. May not be 1st round (although possible), more likely 3rd or 4th.

We are going to be fine with TVD and a portal QB next year

Possible first rounder? OK...

Yeah, our best possible outcome would be to keep King, NOT take a portal QB, and then sign a HS QB who decommits from another school due to that school's poor performance and/or firing of a coach.

Gives us another year of King as a starter AND more depth for the future.

Advertisement
parks and recreation television GIF
ACTUALLY

Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson both have a lot more arm talent than King.

King is a stud college QB, but I don’t think he has the throwing velocity or consistency to be a starting QB or high draft pick.

I could see him being taken in the mid to late rounds and hang around as a backup for awhile

Advertisement
Its not like he needs to be a first rounder to make an NFL roster.

This is true too. Though it certainly helps, for QBs especially. Most teams don't have a lot of patience for rookie QBs to whom they have not paid a large signing bonus.

The comparisons to Murray are natural, but I think Murray is easily a much better passer than King. That can change by year end, but at this point Murray is a better QB than King.

Agree, but Murray was the #1 overall pick. King can fall short of that and still do well.

If I’m a team like Arizona, I use one of my picks on King and use him as a slash player.

Advertisement
Back