King and QB recruiting

CT Cane 44

Junior
We know the ruling on player eligibility next year. We see King who is very very good. My question is do you all think King bolts or comes back and could that be why we seem to be trying to fill the recruiting class with other players? The QB board besides Garcia seems to be null. And maybe no one knows what King will do. But what an advantage for Diaz and Miami if King comes back and we can take another kid to help and we have big time QB play back to back years. It also looks fake to see great QB play.

Thanks guys. Just thinking about the possibilities here.

Advertisement
He gone.
You know the drill: you play for Miami and your a late round draft pick or an UDFA, you leave anyway. Always chase the dream, (and $$$) pay no attention to reality, or all of those early entry Canes who left before you and are now working at Burger King.
I don't know if King will be a good WR in the NFL, but if he want's to be a QB in the League he should stay.

But he won't.

Advertisement
Obviously, I want him to stay as long as possible but if he continues to have a great season, coming back for another isn’t going to improve his draft stock. Unless the 2022 draft options are really weak.

Some scouts thought Lamar Jackson was a WR

Lamar Jackson has the measurements to be a QB or WR at 6'2".... King is 5'10"... I hate to say it but he is going to be hard pressed to play QB in the NFL unless he is a legit Heisman contender. It's not his QB play thats going to hinder him, its his size. He will have to light it up like Russell Wilson.

If he has a good season, King will have two years (Houston and Miami) of film at QB. So if he wants to get drafted as a QB, he gets zero incremental benefit by staying as a QB.

If he wants to stay, it's because the scouts tell him he won't go high in the draft at QB, but a year at Miami as a WR could earn him a high draft pick. I have no idea how his hands are. But we could use a WR with his phonebooth skills assuming he can catch the ball.

Either way, the odds of him returning as a QB are 0% with a good season, IMHO. We still need to go out and find a replacement QB, or we're putting the fate of the team on TVD's development.

Advertisement
Hopefully he comes back. For the sake of the team and for the sake of Miami recruiting another QB like him instead of wasting time on a kid like Garcia. If Miami wants to have a duel threat QB and run the spread then recruit those kinda players then. Regardless, We will see what this new staff is all about when they display the ability to bring in elite QB.

We know the ruling on player eligibility next year. We see King who is very very good. My question is do you all think King bolts or comes back and could that be why we seem to be trying to fill the recruiting class with other players? The QB board besides Garcia seems to be null. And maybe no one knows what King will do. But what an advantage for Diaz and Miami if King comes back and we can take another kid to help and we have big time QB play back to back years. It also looks fake to see great QB play.

Thanks guys. Just thinking about the possibilities here.

With all due respect, you are making the wrong assumptions here.

Tate is gone. If TVD supplants N'Kosi on the depth chart, and/or King sticks around for another year, then I wouldn't expect N'Kosi to stick around. We need depth. King coming back for another year doesn't fix that.

The QB board is "null" because we have sucked on offense for a long time. We've had 2 good weeks on offense (from an evidentiary standpoint). If we finish the year strong, we will be attractive to grad transfers, regular transfers, and HS decommits.

Keep recruiting. Keep recruiting QBs.

Lamar Jackson has the measurements to be a QB or WR at 6'2".... King is 5'10"... I hate to say it but he is going to be hard pressed to play QB in the NFL unless he is a legit Heisman contender. It's not his QB play thats going to hinder him, its his size. He will have to light it up like Russell Wilson.
Height isnt a big requirement like it use to be

Height isnt a big requirement like it use to be
I agree its not a big requirement but it def helps. Look back at the QBs drafted the last few years. Average QB's with good size are projected to have higher ceilings, and come off the board pretty quick.

Advertisement
The only reason King may stick around for another season is because he’s at best, the third best QB prospect on the board after Lawrence and Fields. Pretty much regardless of how well D’Eriq plays, he’s not going before either of those guys. Whereas he could possibly go #1 overall the following draft.

Kyler Murray recently got drafted #1 overall with poor measurables. But the guy can do things that only a select few others can do.

Do I think King will be the #1 pick? No. Do I think King has a chance in the NFL? Yes.

That throw to Mike Harley on the run is why I think he'll get drafted in the league. I don't know if it will be a high pick, but he'll get a shot. There's enough tape of him doing amazing things that only a select few people can do in this world. I think he'll go declare no matter what after this year.

For sh*ts and giggles, here's how Murray and King's 2018 seasons compared:

Kyler Murray - 2018 College Football Season
Height:
5'10 (he's actually 5'9)
Weight: 207 lbs
Passing Yards: 4,361
Passing TD: 42
Int: 7
Rushing Yards: 1,0001
Rushing TD: 12

D'Eriq King - 2018 College Football Season
Height:
5'11
Weight: 202 lbs
Passing Yards: 2,982
Passing TD: 36
Int: 6
Rushing Yards: 674
Rushing TD: 14

Advertisement
There are literally no other threads about this
parks and recreation television GIF

The only reason King may stick around for another season is because he’s at best, the third best QB prospect on the board after Lawrence and Fields. Pretty much regardless of how well D’Eriq plays, he’s not going before either of those guys. Whereas he could possibly go #1 overall the following draft.

I love King, but I don't know that he's the third-best NFL draft prospect at the QB position.

It's not just about performance. It's about the fact that every year, some guy(s) at 6'3" will create a drooling frenzy when walking into the combine.

Who would want to come out at the same time as Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance? All of which will probably go higher, regardless of his season because of NFL potential.

He's get lost in the pack with Jamie Newman, Sam Ehlinger, KJ Costello, Brock Purdy, etc.

I'm not saying he'll stay because of that, but unless I was certain I was going top 2 rounds, I'd seriously consider staying.

Advertisement
Back