King Advanced Stats (from PFF)

Lets start with our offense living on the inside zone read... That may be the play that King executes the WORST!! Next it really seems like he forgot how to throw the football, he seems to throw one good pass and then totally misses by a mile on the next throw. I am very worried for the rest of the season!!!!

Advertisement
The sample size is small and biased, but he is not the same player as he was last year. In ‘20 you could take the good with the bad and see an overall improvement from years prior. Through 2 games this year he seems borderline out of control at times and adequate at others. He has better receivers and yet is relying more on his legs. Just doesn’t make sense, and if it was anyone else I could see him getting benched at some point in the year.
Spot on. small sample size but our WR are a lot better this year. You can see it. Smith looks like an all ACC guy and there is speed with Harley and Rambo. Mallory is annoying, he's soft. Maybe Lashlee isn't scheming guys open, its hard to tell on TV. But King needs to vastly improve his passing or every game is going to be a roller coaster. King seems to be feeling pressure when its not there and then rolling into it or taking off too early.

From posters who have been at the games and get a better view than on TV it seems like we have guys open that King is missing. Wonder at what point TVD gets some snaps? They rave about his arm being a cannon and if it means stretching the defense to help our crappy running game it might be the difference in Manny keeping his job for next year.

He's put up excellent passing numbers every year of his career, including last year. He didn't just forget how to play, he's just rusty and clearly not fully confident on the field yet. He blew his knee out 8 months ago. This was the reason I was so deflated after the bowl game last year, it wasn't just that game it was the fact that watching him on that field holding his knee, the air was already being let out of the 2021 season.

Our best hope is that we can somehow get a win this week, next week is finally our first scrimmage (zero excuses here, the team has sucked, period...but has anyone in the country played a tougher opening 2 games?), then you get UVA on a Thursday. Somehow, someway you gotta get through those 3 games at 3-0, and the UNC game is over a month away. His knee and confidence should get better and better daily, if we can scrape our way through Saturday, maybe by mid-October he can look more like himself.

I think part of the issue (and yes, it was there last year) is his height - or lack thereof. He needs to be like 5 yards behind the OL to be able to see the whole field. If the opposing DL gets within 5 yards, he typically tries to get out of the pocket to look downfield or to scramble. Without a stout OL that can consistently keep a DL from getting that much penetration, I think you will continue to see these bad performances unless Lashlee starts to scheme with that in mind.
THIS

Advertisement
Go look at the stats for both & the precipitous drop the following season. Yes, King has a better completion %, but I’m talking bout late game success, putting up solid stats.
It’s still early and dude is coming off a serious injury. If this shît continues then we have a problem. And rosier was áss from the jump

It’s still early and dude is coming off a serious injury. If this shît continues then we have a problem. And rosier was áss from the jump

Didn’t Rosier put up the most total yards from a QB in our history in 2017?

Two observations 1) in theory our offensive line should be better or the same as last year 2) our WRs are much better than last year.

Which leads me to believe King isn't healthy or confident. He needs to start being more aggressive. He's coming off a major knee surgery and the sample size is small this year but I'm definitely getting concerned.

Advertisement
Good question.

Quick look shows:

-26 scrambles in 180 dropbacks (25th most total scrambles). So he is significantly outpacing LY in terms of tucking and running.

-YPA was 8.9 LY, which was actually 31st HIGHEST. So again, clear regression.

-ADOT was 17.0, 12th HIGHEST in the FBS. Again, clear regression.

-NFL QB rating 100.0, 21st best in FBS.

Clear regression across all these stats.
Could it be mental after coming back from his injury so fast to get stomped by the number 1 team? He wont be awful all season, but the regression is scary.

He’s the best QB Miami has had in over a decade. Where are you getting this inaccurate stuff? He’s almost a 70% passer through 2 games 1 coming against the best defense in the country. I’m not trying to say the teams perfect but why hate on D’ericq when he’s one of the best players on the team and these poor performances are not on him. Also how does he make wrong reads? Do you go to practice and know the playbook to know what his reads are?
No, I didn’t go to practice. It looked like most of the team didn’t go to practice, either.

Advertisement
I just got a subscription this year for the 1st time, and I haven't had much time to use it. So I am not great at researching. But here are a few I've found:

When King has 2.5 seconds or more in the pocket:

-He has scrambled 13 times - 3rd most of 129 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. The ony QBs that have scrambled more are Malik Cunningham (same # of dropbacks as King) and C Cordiero (90 dropbacks to King's 47). This means that even when he has time, King is tucking and running more than pretty much every FBS QB.

-His YPA is 5.7, which is 28th lowest in FBS. For context, only 2 of the QBs with lower YPA than King had more dropbacks than him (Jonah Johnson and Dylan Morris lol).

-His average depth of target (ADT) is 10.6 yards, 18th lowest in FBS.

-His NFL passer rating is 56.3, 25 worst in FBS.

Will post more when I have time to look them up. I don't mean to pile on the kid, and a lot of the blame is (rightfully?) placed on the OL, but King is contributing to the lack of pass game just as much, if not more than, the OL.
King is also the only P5 qb to play Bama. Let this play out a couple of weeks then revisit.

All I want is someone held accountable for the labeling of “superstar “ he received. We are stuck with him for another year regardless.

Advertisement
200.gif

Guy was a star player in the AAC but he's an athlete playing QB and was recruited to Houston as such

I mentioned it in another thread - are all the NIL deals distracting King? He has signed a ton of them. I'm happy for him but one has to think that is taking up a decent amount of his time. Is he not preparing for games the way he used to? Not watching enough film? There could be a rust element as well but that should've been knocked off after Bama. Something just doesn't look right with him this year.
He’s the same player he’s always been. This is how he’s always looked to me. You guys for whatever reason hyped him up to be something he’s not

I mentioned it in another thread - are all the NIL deals distracting King? He has signed a ton of them. I'm happy for him but one has to think that is taking up a decent amount of his time. Is he not preparing for games the way he used to? Not watching enough film? There could be a rust element as well but that should've been knocked off after Bama. Something just doesn't look right with him this year.
You're a pretty crappy porster but this takes crappy takes to another level

Advertisement
Back