King Advanced Stats (from PFF)

Good question.

Quick look shows:

-26 scrambles in 180 dropbacks (25th most total scrambles). So he is significantly outpacing LY in terms of tucking and running.

-YPA was 8.9 LY, which was actually 31st HIGHEST. So again, clear regression.

-ADOT was 17.0, 12th HIGHEST in the FBS. Again, clear regression.

-NFL QB rating 100.0, 21st best in FBS.

Clear regression across all these stats.
The sample size is small and biased, but he is not the same player as he was last year. In ‘20 you could take the good with the bad and see an overall improvement from years prior. Through 2 games this year he seems borderline out of control at times and adequate at others. He has better receivers and yet is relying more on his legs. Just doesn’t make sense, and if it was anyone else I could see him getting benched at some point in the year.

Advertisement
The sample size is small and biased, but he is not the same player as he was last year. In ‘20 you could take the good with the bad and see an overall improvement from years prior. Through 2 games this year he seems borderline out of control at times and adequate at others. He has better receivers and yet is relying more on his legs. Just doesn’t make sense, and if it was anyone else I could see him getting benched at some point in the year.
At the game yesterday and some of us brought up the same thing...it seems as if he is very hesitant to stay in pocket due to fear of injury...and he is not following through on throws... he isn't using his legs on pocket throws...he has had more passes sail higher than last season

Last edited:
I think part of the issue (and yes, it was there last year) is his height - or lack thereof. He needs to be like 5 yards behind the OL to be able to see the whole field. If the opposing DL gets within 5 yards, he typically tries to get out of the pocket to look downfield or to scramble. Without a stout OL that can consistently keep a DL from getting that much penetration, I think you will continue to see these bad performances unless Lashlee starts to scheme with that in mind.

We’ll find out next season with TVD and Garcia up on deck

both have great arms… ones the game manager like king while you have the gunslinger in Garcia

I still don’t like Lashlees offense this year but maybe something to be said if we don’t have the deep ball to keep defenses scared

Advertisement
We’ll find out next season with TVD and Garcia up on deck

both have great arms… ones the game manager like king while you have the gunslinger in Garcia

I still don’t like Lashlees offense this year but maybe something to be said if we don’t have the deep ball to keep defenses scared
Garcia doesn’t have a huge arm. It’s good and can make all the throws

Advertisement
His best O lineman that’s he’s played with since Houston is being ostracized by his ****head position coach and he almost got his knee reassembled by bama in game 1 because of it. I’d be a little antsy to with an already dwindling shot at the nfl due to size.

By all accounts, he is an outstanding individual and a great leader.

But the current reality is that he’s inaccurate, consistently makes the wrong reads, and just doesn’t see the field like a good QB.
He’s the best QB Miami has had in over a decade. Where are you getting this inaccurate stuff? He’s almost a 70% passer through 2 games 1 coming against the best defense in the country. I’m not trying to say the teams perfect but why hate on D’ericq when he’s one of the best players on the team and these poor performances are not on him. Also how does he make wrong reads? Do you go to practice and know the playbook to know what his reads are?

Our receivers and Mallory are not doing him any favors either. How many times has he hit Harley square in the hands and it is dropped. Same with Mallory. He also hit Restrepo in the Bama game and it was dropped (lack of focus before hit). There are at least 6 completions in 2 games between those and probably 60+ yards. These kids need to work on their craft. Harley should be ashamed of himself as a leader and someone that figured it out last year. He is as worthless as 6 & 8 so far and is a starter.

Advertisement
Saturday was his worst game as a Cane. Short hopping throws, missing reads. Harley did drop some critical 3rd down throws, but King didn't help us a whole lot either.

I mentioned it in another thread - are all the NIL deals distracting King? He has signed a ton of them. I'm happy for him but one has to think that is taking up a decent amount of his time. Is he not preparing for games the way he used to? Not watching enough film? There could be a rust element as well but that should've been knocked off after Bama. Something just doesn't look right with him this year.

Advertisement
Great stats, OP. I don't have the benefits of the all 22s so it's hard to say but there was a number of snaps where the pocket was CLEAN, he had plenty of time and seemed to duck and run quicker than necessary. But, I didn't have the vantage of seeing whether or not all the dudes were covered or if in classic Dan Werner form, they were all running 9 routes.

I'm really curious on all those drop backs where the Oline is giving him time, are the receivers open downfield? In the App State game I kept thinking to myself (because I couldn't see downfield) that there's no way their pass defense is this good that everyone is covered.

Advertisement
Back