King Advanced Stats (from PFF)

scrantoncane

Sophomore
I just got a subscription this year for the 1st time, and I haven't had much time to use it. So I am not great at researching. But here are a few I've found:

When King has 2.5 seconds or more in the pocket:

-He has scrambled 13 times - 3rd most of 129 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. The ony QBs that have scrambled more are Malik Cunningham (same # of dropbacks as King) and C Cordiero (90 dropbacks to King's 47). This means that even when he has time, King is tucking and running more than pretty much every FBS QB.

-His YPA is 5.7, which is 28th lowest in FBS. For context, only 2 of the QBs with lower YPA than King had more dropbacks than him (Jonah Johnson and Dylan Morris lol).

-His average depth of target (ADT) is 10.6 yards, 18th lowest in FBS.

-His NFL passer rating is 56.3, 25 worst in FBS.

Will post more when I have time to look them up. I don't mean to pile on the kid, and a lot of the blame is (rightfully?) placed on the OL, but King is contributing to the lack of pass game just as much, if not more than, the OL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I just got a subscription this year for the 1st time, and I haven't had much time to use it. So I am not great at researching. But here are a few I've found:

-He has scrambled 13 times - 3rd most of 129 QBs with at least 20 dropbacks. The ony QBs that have scrambled more are Malik Cunningham (same # of dropbacks as King) and C Cordiero (90 dropbacks to King's 47). This means that even when he has time, King is tucking and running more than pretty much every FBS QB.

-His YPA is 5.7, which is 28th lowest in FBS. For context, only 2 of the QBs with lower YPA than King had more dropbacks than him (Jonah Johnson and Dylan Morris lol).

Will post more when I have time to look them up. I don't mean to pile on the kid, but a lot of the blame is (rightfully?) placed on the OL, but King is contributing to the lack of pass game just as much, if not more than, the OL.
Thats really, really pitiful stuff.

Advertisement
What were his numbers in these categories last season? @scrantoncane
Good question.

Quick look shows:

-26 scrambles in 180 dropbacks (25th most total scrambles). So he is significantly outpacing LY in terms of tucking and running.

-YPA was 8.9 LY, which was actually 31st HIGHEST. So again, clear regression.

-ADOT was 17.0, 12th HIGHEST in the FBS. Again, clear regression.

-NFL QB rating 100.0, 21st best in FBS.

Clear regression across all these stats.

Advertisement
Good question.

Quick look shows:

-26 scrambles in 180 dropbacks (25th most total scrambles). So he is significantly outpacing LY in terms of tucking and running.

We better hope he's just rusty from not being able to fully practice for a long time. It's not our of the realm of possibility.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We better hope he's just rusty from not being able to fully practice for a long time. It's not our of the realm of possibility.
Watching the Bama game, I thought he was rightfully shook because of how many times he almost got killed. Scaife, in particular, was such a huge liability and you had Will Anderson coming off the edge. I can't blame him for thinking the pocket would collapse.

Last night I just don't get it. Only 3 balls travelled 20+ yards in the air? Why are we not taking more shots against lesser athletes? Let our guys go make a play... look what happened when K. Smith got a shot.

King not going through his progressions was glaring to me watching it live. The inability to work the middle of the field always stands out, but definitely did last night. Everything is horizontal, and poorly schemed at that. There were forced balls,. He doesn't look like the same QB as LY.

Will post more when I have time to look them up. I don't mean to pile on the kid, and a lot of the blame is (rightfully?) placed on the OL, but King is contributing to the lack of pass game just as much, if not more than, the OL.
Yes. King clearly hasn’t been in a rhythm passing. He’s been the opposite of trigger happy. Which shouldn’t really be a surprise. As long as he doesn’t get the TO bug as a OC I think u weather the storm up until conference play..hopefully the pass game gets rolling these next 2 weeks

Oh for ****sake just watch the offense vs Ok St. in the bowl game. Before and after King goes down. It’s night and day, time to face reality with King. He ain’t it, and he will cost us games this year. Not trying to bash him, but I’m stating truth, he’s not a QB. Garcia is the best QB on the roster and the whole team knows it.

Good question.

Quick look shows:

It's not good but it's also a very small sample size, with one of the games against the best defense in the country. More worrisome is that he's coming off a major injury, so maybe he's more quick to run instead of hanging in the pocket. What is Michigan state's defense look like? Do they have a good pass rush?

Advertisement
Back