Kids Now Opting Out Of Playing High School Football?

Not sure how I feel about this. I get college athletes doing this to preserve their potential payday with the NFL, but a high school athlete playing football?! Weird. I hope this doesn't become a normal thing among the blue chip recruits. Senior seasons are vital to monitor recruit development and prioritizing recruits.
As long as they aren’t opting out of College Football and play for Miami I’m good with whatever

Advertisement
I don't know what's worse, that the kid is doing this or that people seem to be ok with it.

They were probably half a dozen kids in the first round of the NFL draft who opted out last year. Doesn’t affect him one iota

This doesn't mean anything.

Schools can still remove players for not putting in the work to overcome their performance or injury. Even if the school felt like they didn't have grounds for this, they can still remove the player from the team, which eliminates his chance of athletic success. Other sports often increase or decrease the amount of scholarship a player gets based on performance.
They're bound to your scholarship, feeding you, housing you, and in the ACC I'm pretty **** sure still providing academic support even if you retire because of injury. You can't quit, you have to medically retire. But as we saw with Phillips, you can medically un-retire and pop right back up and become a 1st round draft pick again.

Advertisement
If you already have 2 years plus of good tape at a position like RB I totally get sitting out in HS. They will run you to death if you’re the best player.
Players that love the game and enjoy competing don't sit out. To me it is a flag.

Those blessed with talent, think of themselves first (whether right or wrong), or just don't care or aren't committed sit out. If I was a friend on that team I would be out finding better friends because that guy will leave you in a second if it suits him first.

There isn't an 'I' in Team is a bunch of crap nowadays and for some to think that is a good thing? Let me guess those same people will then talk about the 'community'... Whatever happed to 'live for today' and there are no guarantees in life so enjoy the moment?

It was a very selfish move by a selfish family. I for one hope some hard working kid comes in and keeps this kid on the bench so we can then see this team player in the portal.

As long as they aren’t opting out of College Football and play for Miami I’m good with whatever
If the kid is already opting out of HS when he doesn't have much to lose, what makes you think he won't opt out in the future when he'll have more to lose by playing ball?

They're bound to your scholarship, feeding you, housing you, and in the ACC I'm pretty **** sure still providing academic support even if you retire because of injury. You can't quit, you have to medically retire. But as we saw with Phillips, you can medically un-retire and pop right back up and become a 1st round draft pick again.
You resign your scholarship every year.

Advertisement

Not sure how I feel about this. I get college athletes doing this to preserve their potential payday with the NFL, but a high school athlete playing football?! Weird. I hope this doesn't become a normal thing among the blue chip recruits. Senior seasons are vital to monitor recruit development and prioritizing recruits.
247 comments imply it wasn’t a business decision but an issue between him and his hs coach or coaches

247 comments imply it wasn’t a business decision but an issue between him and his hs coach or coaches
Didn't read the comments, only read the article. If it's really due to conflict with coaching, why not transfer to another area school? Seems but childish and petty but then again he is a child. 🤷🏾‍♂️

You resign your scholarship every year.
Didn’t you read what I sent you? It cannot be canceled from a renewal for injury. All non renewed scholarships are up for appeal. Also medical DQs don’t count against #s so why cancel it anyway?

You aren’t even allowed to sign amything until nsd. And your loi isn’t binding - you still have to get admitted to the school. You’re just highlighting why this type of decision is really risky.
Yeah just like players aren’t suppose to get paid but they do bro I’m sure he got some reassurance lol and even if Texas falls thru he can still go somewhere skipping his senior szn

Advertisement
Yeah just like players aren’t suppose to get paid but they do bro I’m sure he got some reassurance lol and even if Texas falls thru he can still go somewhere skipping his senior szn
First of all, no athletic department is going to have a signed LOI before permitted dates. That would be a lack of institutional control offense.

Secondly, you previously said he needed something certain. If now you mean it’s enough that he gets a non-binding sure, trust me wink, then I guess he’s taking his chances.

First of all, no athletic department is going to have a signed LOI before permitted dates. That would be a lack of institutional control offense.

Secondly, you previously said he needed something certain. If now you mean it’s enough that he gets a non-binding sure, trust me wink, then I guess he’s taking his chances.
Yes i get that part so i won’t argue that but I’m sure he got a nice bag to be sitting out or something worth sitting out your senior yr

Yes i get that part so i won’t argue that but I’m sure he got a nice bag to be sitting out or something worth sitting out your senior yr
Why would someone pay him to sit out? More likely, they said ‘okay.’ Not ‘please do it.’

Advertisement
I think the whole "opting out" thing is bad for the game. Whether its a bowl game, a season, anything. It shows a lack of character, and integrity. The players who do this sort of thing are spoiled babies who have not been taught to honor your commitments that you have made to others. I'm glad this wasn't a thing when I started watching football. You have made a commitment to play for your scholarship, you are part of that team. For 90% of the players on the team the last game of their senior season will be the last organized game of football in their lives - they are not good enough to go to the next level. And for a teammate to decide that game is not worth his effort is slap in the face and shows the maturity level of guys who opt out. You were given a scholarship to play football and all great things that come with it. If the player is good enough to go to the NFL in their junior year so be it. But play every game you are healthy enough to play until the year is up. If I was recruiting players to come into my system I would look around a player who opted out of a game he didn't deem import to him. But that's just me.

A bag to sit out your senior year of HS?! That doesn't make sense to me bro. By all accounts, he's a good player but by no means is he the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson. He might not even start or be a significant contributor his freshman year at Texas so why would Texas pay him to sit out?

Advertisement
Back