Kids Now Opting Out Of Playing High School Football?

He didn't carry the ball 40 times per game. He carried it 20.66 times per game.
23 touches / game counting KR and receptions as a junior. He's proven plenty and Texas is on board with it. I'm assuming they know something we don't about his HS program

Advertisement
Texas must really be all in on him...if for whatever reason Texas doesn't want him anymore his options may be really limited with no senior tape. I can't see this being a common thing but who knows.
The irony is that even with sitting out......on his first carry in a College game with College contact, he could get hurt or injured and there goes the game plan......
There are no guarantees and as many old Canes can attest play hard, play often, and get ready to step up.......not duck out....on your Senior HS year.

I understand this for collegiate athletes, but HS athletes?

I have a buddy who is a Ph.D in exercise physiology, author, etc. He said that many ACL issues are overuse injuries and that it is college and especially pro practice schedules that cause that injury to happen. I remember him telling me that you don't see it as often in HS athletes b/c the practices are not as frequent/grueling as collegiate/pro standards. So, although we do see it, it's a small[er] risk comparatively speaking.

So, yeah, maybe these kids save a little wear and tear or a bad injury, but they risk not putting on any senior tape and being overtaken by a hotter recruit and then you're left with limited tape.

Not sure how I feel about this. I get college athletes doing this to preserve their potential payday with the NFL, but a high school athlete playing football?! Weird. I hope this doesn't become a normal thing among the blue chip recruits. Senior seasons are vital to monitor recruit development and prioritizing recruits.
Our boy set such a fine example of me first, me only.

This just means that he is going to opt out of at least one year with Texas and maybe two. I don't know the situation but if he doesn't want to ball out with his teammate then I wouldn't want to recruit him.
I think you have to take this on a case by case basis. Depending on the situation and background that ultimately led to the decision I'll be more understanding and compromising. If a player is coming off a serious injury, or wants to focus on academics, and wants to use their senior season to do so I can't fault them for it. But if the kid voluntarily opts out I'll definitely have some concerns.

Advertisement
I understand this for collegiate athletes, but HS athletes?

I have a buddy who is a Ph.D in exercise physiology, author, etc. He said that many ACL issues are overuse injuries and that it is college and especially pro practice schedules that cause that injury to happen. I remember him telling me that you don't see it as often in HS athletes b/c the practices are not as frequent/grueling as collegiate/pro standards. So, although we do see it, it's a small[er] risk comparatively speaking.

So, yeah, maybe these kids save a little wear and tear or a bad injury, but they risk not putting on any senior tape and being overtaken by a hotter recruit and then you're left with limited tape.
Informative post.

The irony is that even with sitting out......on his first carry in a College game with College contact, he could get hurt or injured and there goes the game plan......
There are no guarantees and as many old Canes can attest play hard, play often, and get ready to step up.......not duck out....on your Senior HS year.
He would be covered for his scholarship, treatment, etc though. Path to a free degree LOCKED IN. Can’t say that if he’s injured bc some JV scout guy rolls him up in practice.

It's ******* lame as ****. There is no other way to say it. I don't care what the reasoning is, if you're a player you want to play. Not just for you, but your teammates as well. I wouldn't let my kid do that, he'd know better.

Not sure how I feel about this. I get college athletes doing this to preserve their potential payday with the NFL, but a high school athlete playing football?! Weird. I hope this doesn't become a normal thing among the blue chip recruits. Senior seasons are vital to monitor recruit development and prioritizing recruits.
This is exactly what will happen now that athletes can profit from themselves in college…you guys wanted it, and now the prima donnas will be insufferable

Advertisement
or he might be playing early at texas im sure he did this knowing his scholarship was good, no way kids do this without knowing but i'd still have to sign something i need that 100% guaranteed that my scholarship will be honored. I dont agree but hey he gave his back up a shot also and some other guys time to shine.
He doesn't know his playing time at UT and no coach is going to promise a HS junior RB playing time. There is no document that UT can have him sign that doesn't become public. This isn't Reggie Bush we are talking about. He is currently between 31 and 48 in overall rankings but that will change without him playing.

I don't blame any highly touted, recruited tailback for not choosing to be abused for no good reason knowing full well they have a scholarship waiting for them on the other side. UT doesn't have a problem with this, so I don't either. Sorry, but this "Team" crap old fogies like to trot out never gets said when a guy blows out his knee, and offers DISAPPEAR. I'm willing to bet that this young man's teammates understand WHY he's sitting out, and there's a good chance he'll still be involved with the team.

Say what you want about youngsters today, but they aren't the fools previous generations of athletes were. They understand that their body is their future, and they should limit wear and tear, because a lot of coaches don't give a ****. A classic example of this was the show "Friday Night Tykes" , where you had underqualified coaches running a unique talent into the ground, not giving a **** about possible long term implications. High School coaches are just as bad, many don't give a **** about the kids future.

If I'm a college coach, and I am really sold on a RB recruit and they are going to enroll early, and this was an option, I wouldn't have a problem with it. There are few positions in which this is a legitimate option, RB and QB are really the only two I can think of.

Scholarships are year to year so no it isn't locked in.
Most major schools are treating scholarships as 4 years now, provided you are making sufficient academic progress and aren't doing anything off the field that is beyond the pale.

Advertisement
Most major schools are treating scholarships as 4 years now, provided you are making sufficient academic progress and aren't doing anything off the field that is beyond the pale.
At least in football, schools don't push players off the team that are putting in the work. They also are not revoking scholarship offers for highly recruited players.

I don't blame any highly touted, recruited tailback for not choosing to be abused for no good reason knowing full well they have a scholarship waiting for them on the other side. UT doesn't have a problem with this, so I don't either. Sorry, but this "Team" crap old fogies like to trot out never gets said when a guy blows out his knee, and offers DISAPPEAR. I'm willing to bet that this young man's teammates understand WHY he's sitting out, and there's a good chance he'll still be involved with the team.

Say what you want about youngsters today, but they aren't the fools previous generations of athletes were. They understand that their body is their future, and they should limit wear and tear, because a lot of coaches don't give a ****. A classic example of this was the show "Friday Night Tykes" , where you had underqualified coaches running a unique talent into the ground, not giving a **** about possible long term implications. High School coaches are just as bad, many don't give a **** about the kids future.

If I'm a college coach, and I am really sold on a RB recruit and they are going to enroll early, and this was an option, I wouldn't have a problem with it. There are few positions in which this is a legitimate option, RB and QB are really the only two I can think of.
You really don't know what UT has a problem with. The school can't comment on him and even if they could they wouldn't publicly bash a recruits decision. UT wouldn't encourage this unless there was a very unique situation. This would destroy their relationship with high school coaches.

You really don't know what UT has a problem with. The school can't comment on him and even if they could they wouldn't publicly bash a recruits decision. UT wouldn't encourage this unless there was a very unique situation. This would destroy their relationship with high school coaches.
Texas is in a position where HS coaches WORK FOR THEM, not the other way around. Keep in mind, Texas boosters can put political pressure on any HS coach if they want, especially if they start trying to ***** the University.

I find it hard to believe that this young man would do this, WITHOUT talking to the school he's committed to. They can't publicly comment, but it doesn't take a genius to see that someone signed off on this.

Advertisement
Texas is in a position where HS coaches WORK FOR THEM, not the other way around. Keep in mind, Texas boosters can put political pressure on any HS coach if they want, especially if they start trying to ***** the University.

I find it hard to believe that this young man would do this, WITHOUT talking to the school he's committed to. They can't publicly comment, but it doesn't take a genius to see that someone signed off on this.
You have it wrong my friend. Just go ask Charlie Strong. The head coach at UT works for Texas High School coaches. That really goes for any coach in any state but especially Texas. High school coaches have what UT wants, players. UT boosters aren't messing with Texas high school football.

What don't exactly know why this kid is sitting out. Perhaps he has an injury or medical condition that isn't being disclosed? Perhaps he has academic issues (seems unlikely). Perhaps he has some serious family issues?

The article is one sided and from the players point of view, but this quote is telling:

"Sources I spoke with close to the matter tell me that the decision was made by Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff before moving forward. Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

So according to the article the decision was made by "Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff". It goes on to say that "Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

This doesn't look like UT asked him to do this and by not going into detail on what caused the decision it tells us that something else is going on. Of course this quote could be a lie, so who knows.

You have it wrong my friend. Just go ask Charlie Strong. The head coach at UT works for Texas High School coaches. That really goes for any coach in any state but especially Texas. High school coaches have what UT wants, players. UT boosters aren't messing with Texas high school football.

What don't exactly know why this kid is sitting out. Perhaps he has an injury or medical condition that isn't being disclosed? Perhaps he has academic issues (seems unlikely). Perhaps he has some serious family issues?

The article is one sided and from the players point of view, but this quote is telling:

"Sources I spoke with close to the matter tell me that the decision was made by Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff before moving forward. Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

So according to the article the decision was made by "Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff". It goes on to say that "Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

This doesn't look like UT asked him to do this and by not going into detail on what caused the decision it tells us that something else is going on. Of course this quote could be a lie, so who knows.
Charlie Strong lost the BOOSTERS. They didn't like him. If he had been able to get the boosters in line, he wouldn't have had problems with HS coaches. You forget, the boosters at UT hold a ton of political power, in fact, many of the bigger ones **** near own school districts, through their political donations.

Take it from someone that actually grew up in the scene there and saw it first hand. Even if a coach decided they didn't want to work with UT, the boosters could EASILY get around them and still get to a kid. That's the reach of a highly connected, highly motivated group.

Advertisement
Back