Kids Now Opting Out Of Playing High School Football?

Charlie Strong lost the BOOSTERS. They didn't like him. If he had been able to get the boosters in line, he wouldn't have had problems with HS coaches. You forget, the boosters at UT hold a ton of political power, in fact, many of the bigger ones **** near own school districts, through their political donations.

Take it from someone that actually grew up in the scene there and saw it first hand. Even if a coach decided they didn't want to work with UT, the boosters could EASILY get around them and still get to a kid. That's the reach of a highly connected, highly motivated group.
Strong lost the HS coaches before he lost the boosters. No college, even UT, can **** on high school coaches and asking a player to sit out for no reason is ****ting on HS coaches. Boosters don't hate HS football.

We just might have to disagree on this one.

Advertisement
This just means that he is going to opt out of at least one year with Texas and maybe two. I don't know the situation but if he doesn't want to ball out with his teammate then I wouldn't want to recruit him.
Yup, especially if he’s gone to that school his whole life and played ball with a lot of his teammates their whole lives. I’m sure a lot of his teammates were looking forward to a great year with a stud D1 RB on the team for their last go around.

only thing different if the kid has been a traveler his whole life... like south Florida kids who seem to jump high schools every season.

Real team player. I dont care what position you play.....not playing competitive ball for a year??? Is he going to do this for year and hopes his skills and instincts get better

Training Mascot GIF by Crash Bandicoot

Advertisement
Who knows, you may soon even start seeing schools encouraging under the radar kids to skip their senior season so they don't get into a recruiting battle with other big schools. They can even possibly convince the school to allow him to practice, even getting reps, and work out with the team on campus. Only difference is not playing on GameDay.

Of course this won't fly for most recruits/colleges, but i could see a school ike Ole Miss be successful with this with a local recruit.

It will probably cost them less to convince an under the radar recruit and school to skip a season then it will to have to outbid Bama or Georgia
That won’t happen. ‘Offers’ aren’t binding on anyone. Kids skip their year at their peril. At least top rated kids will have alternatives. An under-rated kid who did this could wind up in D2. Big programs bail on kids all the time. No one would even notice them doing that to an ‘under the d\radar’ kid.

or he might be playing early at texas im sure he did this knowing his scholarship was good, no way kids do this without knowing but i'd still have to sign something i need that 100% guaranteed that my scholarship will be honored. I dont agree but hey he gave his back up a shot also and some other guys time to shine.
You aren’t even allowed to sign amything until nsd. And your loi isn’t binding - you still have to get admitted to the school. You’re just highlighting why this type of decision is really risky.

You have it wrong my friend. Just go ask Charlie Strong. The head coach at UT works for Texas High School coaches. That really goes for any coach in any state but especially Texas. High school coaches have what UT wants, players. UT boosters aren't messing with Texas high school football.

What don't exactly know why this kid is sitting out. Perhaps he has an injury or medical condition that isn't being disclosed? Perhaps he has academic issues (seems unlikely). Perhaps he has some serious family issues?

The article is one sided and from the players point of view, but this quote is telling:

"Sources I spoke with close to the matter tell me that the decision was made by Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff before moving forward. Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

So according to the article the decision was made by "Blue and his family and clearly communicated to the Texas coaching staff". It goes on to say that "Those same sources declined to go into detail into what caused the decision."

This doesn't look like UT asked him to do this and by not going into detail on what caused the decision it tells us that something else is going on. Of course this quote could be a lie, so who knows.
Beat me to it.

Also, Texas isn’t in the recruiting position some think it is, even if it _should be_. Now Jimbo is picking Texas through, Oklahoma does, Houston, Baylor, Tx Tech take kids. Alabama takes some. Some go West Coast. The idea that the University of Texas is in some unassailable recruiting position isn’t right.

Advertisement
Charlie Strong lost the BOOSTERS. They didn't like him. If he had been able to get the boosters in line, he wouldn't have had problems with HS coaches. You forget, the boosters at UT hold a ton of political power, in fact, many of the bigger ones **** near own school districts, through their political donations.

Take it from someone that actually grew up in the scene there and saw it first hand. Even if a coach decided they didn't want to work with UT, the boosters could EASILY get around them and still get to a kid. That's the reach of a highly connected, highly motivated group.
There’s a big difference between getting to a kid to encourage him to play ball at UT, and getting to a kid to encourage him to sit out his Hs Sr. Season.

Advertisement
It's his life and like he will have to do till death, make decisions he feels best for him. I'm one who whole heartedly believes in the freedom of legal choices granted to all, but some believe they are the only ones with the rights of freedom, liberty and pursuit of happiness.
Are we crossing the Delaware again? Let's go!

Or were you watching Independence Day? Either way...Touching

The article said “Dem same sauces declined too go into detail into what caused the decision “

Sew knowbody nose why this young mang decided knot two play football this hear Fall. But his family is down wit it. Texas is giggy wit it. And Canedog is cool wit it.

The kidd may have a reason that all ore moist of us would agree wit.
👁 bet the reason isn’t just that this young mang all of a sudden decided two become a self centered diva.

...he's back with the ebonics stick... @Cribby gonna have to bust you out again

If you already have 2 years plus of good tape at a position like RB I totally get sitting out in HS. They will run you to death if you’re the best player.

Advertisement
Couple of red flags in that he is self centered and a me first kid. Second, how much do you love the game if you are willing to watch your friends play it? Ok, one more and that is the family won't change so his first multi-TD game I could see him all of a sudden take a pass on the bowl or balance of the season to "prepare for the draft".

I am glad Texas is taking that risk.

Everyone is correct in that some blast him for being a me first less than team player while others say go grab your dough and don't get hurt. Kids and the game have changed which is why it is such a heart warming story when you see players actually do things FOR the team and not themselves. We are like what? That is old school.

With that attitude though I wonder how many of his teammates are really unhappy he isn't playing? I know the backup RB is probably pretty excited.

This doesn't mean anything.

Schools can still remove players for not putting in the work to overcome their performance or injury. Even if the school felt like they didn't have grounds for this, they can still remove the player from the team, which eliminates his chance of athletic success. Other sports often increase or decrease the amount of scholarship a player gets based on performance.

I hope you guys all wore your swimsuits because we're balls deep in that slippery slope we talked about when the first player opted out of the bowl game because "he has nothing to prove" and "didn't want to risk injury". Fast forward a couple of years and we have HS kids opting out of Senior years because they are done putting things on tape???

What's next? Pop Warner kids opting out? (yeah yeah, I know but c'mon)
I laughed when I read this because I was already thinking that if I sat out my last year of football at North Dade Optimist maybe I could have amounted to something. I think the hits from Northside and Scott Lake took their toll and we didn't have insurance policies back in the day.

I ended up walking on at Georgia. Well, I mean like walking to classes and stuff.

Advertisement
Back