Kevin Steele DC (how to round out staff)

Advertisement
He’s only going to be DC according to Twitter, i think we should look to NFL for position coaches who don’t mind recruiting
You know... I wouldnt want him as the DC... but Todd Orlando is widely respected in the coaching world. Georgia picked his brain big time for their defense. If we got him for Edge purposes and Special Teams, I could get behind that.

Advertisement
I guess I’m in the minority by saying I was excited about the news Steele is going to be DC. You’re Talking about a guy with a plethora of experience who coached at the biggest programs in the country. He will bring toughness and physicality back to the D. Also, does anyone else find it strange that this was announced the day before signing day? Almost like Mario wanted to put this in Shemar’s head before he makes his decision.

Yeah I don’t understand the Steele reserves. (😏) He had a top 20 defense with Auburn in the hardest division in football. Only because Auburns staff was dissolved and he took a year off (probably a well paid year off) kept him from being a top name out there.

If you’re going to comment about a bowl game at Clemson before they were even Clemson over ten years ago, don’t.

Advertisement

Keeping an open mind, but this (to me) is "you better be right about this Mario..." type of hire.

Disappointing to say the least, but maybe lemonade from lemons is possible.

Keeping an open mind, but this (to me) is "you better be right about this Mario..." type of hire.

I mean your working with an article from a decade ago about one awful game. Yeah it got him fired but he’s had multiple top 10 defenses at Auburn since then. Steele is a top 10 DC in the country but since he’s old he’s not a flashy name.

Advertisement
I'd give him a call, yes. But he rejected a Co-DC job with the Gators, so, thats something to monitor.
Yeah I think it’s a long shot but if he doesn’t get a job at the NFL level (despite the bad season some Vikings fans actually want to retain him) then not sure he’s going to have too many other options.

Could be one of the perks of being patient, ending up with a guy like that. But yeah I think you’re right, low probability.

Can’t wait to see who we get at CB.

I always said from the minute Mario was hired, his coordinators have to be top notch.

Mario isn’t the best game day coach. He is a recruiter, motivator and extremely structured but lacks the X&O’s of some of the other elite coaches.

This is step 1. Now we need to lock in a top OC and we are set for 2022.

Advertisement
Aazaar Abdul Rahim was an analyst with him and Mario at Bama in 2014. Obvious name to watch

Jules Montinar was a GA under him at Bama in 2013. Currently at temple and coached CB at Florida in 2021

Lance Thompson was at Alabama both years. Currently at FAU but another old school LB coach with a long SEC resumé

Rodney Garner is Steele’s best friend in the coaching ranks. Doubt he’s one to watch for though with Salave’a already here

Raymond was his CB coach at LSU in 2015

Marcus Woodson, currently at FSU, was under him as a CB coach for 3 years

Wesley McGriff, Crime Dog, was also a DB coach at Auburn while he was there

Other than those overlaps there’s not many more I see us pursuing. I’d say Thompson and Abdul Rahim are the only ones with a chance to be on our staff

The defense struggled that whole year, but they were also very young, losing a very veteran heavy group in 2010. I know, that does not mean they get a pass for allowing 70 points in a bowl game, and I am very skeptical as well, but hey we're in now

The defense struggled that whole year, but they were also very young, losing a very veteran heavy group in 2010. I know, that does not mean they get a pass for allowing 70 points in a bowl game, and I am very skeptical as well, but hey we're in now
They were also top 12 both 2009 and 2010 before that year. If Dabo couldn’t get Venables he never would have fired Steele.

Why focus on that ancient history when much more recently he was highly successful, with multiple top 10 defenses, in the SEC. Even named a Broyles Award finalist in 2017 and semifinalist in 2019.

Advertisement
Back