Kevin Steele DC (how to round out staff)

Advertisement
Aazaar Abdul Rahim was an analyst with him and Mario at Bama in 2014. Obvious name to watch

Jules Montinar was a GA under him at Bama in 2013. Currently at temple and coached CB at Florida in 2021

Lance Thompson was at Alabama both years. Currently at FAU but another old school LB coach with a long SEC resumé

Rodney Garner is Steele’s best friend in the coaching ranks. Doubt he’s one to watch for though with Salave’a already here

Raymond was his CB coach at LSU in 2015

Marcus Woodson, currently at FSU, was under him as a CB coach for 3 years

Wesley McGriff, Crime Dog, was also a DB coach at Auburn while he was there

Other than those overlaps there’s not many more I see us pursuing. I’d say Thompson and Abdul Rahim are the only ones with a chance to be on our staff

Azaar please and hire an elite safeties coach

It looks like he’s making just above $400k from what I see so we should be able to entice to come here. He would be great.

Safeties everyone saying Monroe has 12 titles now so maybe we can get Heyward to be S/OLB coach? And Steele stays ILB/DC?

Advertisement
Get rid of the name and I tell you we got a coordinator who was a Broyles finalist twice in the last five years, a P5 coordinator who had a top ten defense 4/5 years in his last stop, and has a good track record with linebacker play and people would be foaming at the mouth

Advertisement
Kevin Steele will likely coach the ILBs (hoping Wes, Chase, Steed).
Big Joe the front 3.

Seems to me we need an EDGE/ST coach
a CBs coach and a S coach.
Thought it was gonna be 4/3 mostly but multiple. No troll. Honest question.

Azaar and Nick Monroe
All for some combo of Abdul Rahim, Nick Monroe, Keith Heyward, or Rod Chance

A few others that have rumored to be moving on or would have a good reason to:
Jahmile Addae at UGA
Steve Clinkscale at Michigan
Travis Fisher at Nebraska
Chevis Jackson at Kansas

Plenty of smaller school options out there too that aren’t household names yet:

Arkansas just hired Dominique Bowman from Marshall. He’s gonna be a good one and Cory Peoples at Georgia State are the 2 off the top of my head

Why wouldn’t he coach lb ? That’s what he’s coached his entire career and played. Maybe hire a strikers coach
I think strikers is dead abd I’m not saying he doesn’t have any input on linebackers but i think we hire a position coach for every position like bama does

Advertisement

Jahmile Addae at UGA
Chevis Jackson at Kansas

Arkansas just hired Dominique Bowman from Marshall. He’s gonna be a good one and Cory Peoples at Georgia State are the 2 off the top of my head

AAR would be a good fit since he was at bama with Steele and Mario.

It's all about how you look at it. These were the options in my head from jump.

Big name DC = expensive inexperienced staff behind elite coach and recruiter.

Up and coming coach = Either Co DC or experience to elite assistants that can recruit but will habitually be poached.

Older Veteran with one last cosching stint in him = cheaper wealth of experience little single positional value. Over see everything motivate discipline. Grab a hungry successor with little name recognition with a system. Mix recruiters with young hungry coaches allow DC to coach the coaches. You have your coach in waiting as well coaches who grow with the program and stay longer.

The last was always the best scenario to me. With a homerun being Muschamp but I can see Steele loving up player and chewing coaches out which could be a bad thing. Also yes Muschamp is still only 50. For the nitpickers yes not exactly out to pasture. I got that but I doubt he is ever a HC again which is just as good as out to pasture.
I want what John Chavis established for LSU. Would be my template for what Miami needs. I think it's better long term not only on the field but off keeping coaches and also recruiting keeping players home.

Thoughts.

Any chance we look at Jimmy Lake to coach DB’s? He’s got another set of corners getting first round looks in the upcoming draft

Advertisement
Why wouldn’t he coach lb ? That’s what he’s coached his entire career and played. Maybe hire a strikers coach
I think they’re saying that because at Auburn they had Twill coach LB and he wasn’t specifically responsible for a position. I’m guessing maybe because recruiting responsibilities?? Idk. In a ideal world, I think he coaches LB and grab an edge coach. Every top team in cfb has an edge/OLB coach besides Ohio State.

Jahmile Addae at UGA
Chevis Jackson at Kansas

AAR has been my first choice for DB's (yes, even over T-Rob) since the report came out that he was being interviewed. My family is all BC grads/fans and he's been a big part of their recruiting resurgence since he got hired there.

If not, I'd make a run at Clinkscale, especially if Harbaugh is leaving.

Any chance we look at Jimmy Lake to coach DB’s? He’s got another set of corners getting first round looks in the upcoming draft
Jimmy insulted Oregon before their rivalry game and got fired for physically handling his own player. Not the best resume for a new hire here.

Advertisement
Back