Kevin Steele DC (how to round out staff)

Advertisement
The defense struggled that whole year, but they were also very young, losing a very veteran heavy group in 2010. I know, that does not mean they get a pass for allowing 70 points in a bowl game, and I am very skeptical as well, but hey we're in now
I don't get why you would worry yourself with the outliers. The 2 years before that, Clemson D was solid. And his last DC stint that was several years was extremely successful. What is the point of looking for 1 or 2 outliers? That's like saying you were concerned about Michael Jordan in 1996 because he was swept by the Celtics in the first round of the 1985 playoffs.

Advertisement
Kevin Steele will likely coach the ILBs (hoping Wes, Chase, Steed).
Big Joe the front 3.

Seems to me we need an EDGE/ST coach
a CBs coach and a S coach.
Kevin Steele is absolute stellar hire. I watched him punish Joe Burrow and the best offense in college football history. He held them to 23 points which no one got close to stopping that team the entire year!

Get rid of the name and I tell you we got a coordinator who was a Broyles finalist twice in the last five years, a P5 coordinator who had a top ten defense 4/5 years in his last stop, and has a good track record with linebacker play and people would be foaming at the mouth

Or keep the name and the football guys will be even more excited.

I don't get why you would worry yourself with the outliers. The 2 years before that, Clemson D was solid. And his last DC stint that was several years was extremely successful. What is the point of looking for 1 or 2 outliers? That's like saying you were concerned about Michael Jordan in 1996 because he was swept by the Celtics in the first round of the 1985 playoffs.
Well, that was pretty much the point I was trying to make. The defense was very solid, those prior years. Also, at that time Dabo was still trying to figure out how to win and sustain. He had already let go of some of his bad habits, and was working on solidifying his staff.

I wasn't necessarily knocking the defense for that one performance...but at the end of the day it was not acceptable.

Make Fran Brown say no.
I don't get all the hype with this guy and keep seeing his name everywhere. A Jersey guy who has basically coached at Temple and Rutgers for his entire career. We have the money to do way better than this guy.

Advertisement
I guess I’m in the minority by saying I was excited about the news Steele is going to be DC. You’re Talking about a guy with a plethora of experience who coached at the biggest programs in the country. He will bring toughness and physicality back to the D. Also, does anyone else find it strange that this was announced the day before signing day? Almost like Mario wanted to put this in Shemar’s head before he makes his decision.
I think its a great hire

Why focus on that ancient history when much more recently he was highly successful, with multiple top 10 defenses, in the SEC. Even named a Broyles Award finalist in 2017 and semifinalist in 2019.
It would not fit their agenda to be positive about anything.

I guess I’m in the minority by saying I was excited about the news Steele is going to be DC. You’re Talking about a guy with a plethora of experience who coached at the biggest programs in the country. He will bring toughness and physicality back to the D. Also, does anyone else find it strange that this was announced the day before signing day? Almost like Mario wanted to put this in Shemar’s head before he makes his decision.
You’re not in the minority at all but some of the most vocal people yesterday were the ones that just like to be miserable or stir the pot

It was a great hire

All for some combo of Abdul Rahim, Nick Monroe, Keith Heyward, or Rod Chance

A few others that have rumored to be moving on or would have a good reason to:
Jahmile Addae at UGA
Steve Clinkscale at Michigan
Travis Fisher at Nebraska
Chevis Jackson at Kansas

Plenty of smaller school options out there too that aren’t household names yet:

Arkansas just hired Dominique Bowman from Marshall. He’s gonna be a good one and Cory Peoples at Georgia State are the 2 off the top of my head
Is Addae an elite recruiter or was he a product of the UGA environment?

Advertisement
Aazaar Abdul Rahim was an analyst with him and Mario at Bama in 2014. Obvious name to watch

Jules Montinar was a GA under him at Bama in 2013. Currently at temple and coached CB at Florida in 2021

Lance Thompson was at Alabama both years. Currently at FAU but another old school LB coach with a long SEC resumé

Rodney Garner is Steele’s best friend in the coaching ranks. Doubt he’s one to watch for though with Salave’a already here

Raymond was his CB coach at LSU in 2015

Marcus Woodson, currently at FSU, was under him as a CB coach for 3 years

Wesley McGriff, Crime Dog, was also a DB coach at Auburn while he was there

Other than those overlaps there’s not many more I see us pursuing. I’d say Thompson and Abdul Rahim are the only ones with a chance to be on our staff
McGriff? There’s a name from the past

Randy actually made a few good hires when he got here I think he was one of them

Aazaar Abdul Rahim was an analyst with him and Mario at Bama in 2014. Obvious name to watch

Jules Montinar was a GA under him at Bama in 2013. Currently at temple and coached CB at Florida in 2021

Lance Thompson was at Alabama both years. Currently at FAU but another old school LB coach with a long SEC resumé

Rodney Garner is Steele’s best friend in the coaching ranks. Doubt he’s one to watch for though with Salave’a already here

Raymond was his CB coach at LSU in 2015

Marcus Woodson, currently at FSU, was under him as a CB coach for 3 years

Wesley McGriff, Crime Dog, was also a DB coach at Auburn while he was there

Other than those overlaps there’s not many more I see us pursuing. I’d say Thompson and Abdul Rahim are the only ones with a chance to be on our staff

Not sure what Crime Dog's contract is, but CO-DC at UM is a better gig than Co-Dc at Louisville. Unless something changed that I don't know about, Steele thinks HIGHLY of McGriff. Hopefully, Mario/Steele reach out to gauge his interest.

I don't get all the hype with this guy and keep seeing his name everywhere. A Jersey guy who has basically coached at Temple and Rutgers for his entire career. We have the money to do way better than this guy.
He was the final 2 to get the temple HC job after being nothing more than a co-DC and DB coach.

Schiano does nothing rave about him. Rhule does nothing but rave about him. He’s the best recruiter in Jersey in the country. 2nd to no one. If he was at OSU or Michigan he’d pull anyone he wanted from there. He’s the highest paid assistant coach in Rutgers program history for a reason.

Advertisement
I truly don’t get why this fan base like to dig up old chit that’s no longer relevant.

“We don’t want Mario, b/c look at what he did at FIU!”

“We don’t want Steele b/c of that one bowl game from 2011-12.”

Can we talk about chit that matters, like what have u done for me lately, vs. finding clips from YouTube that’s of low quality b/c it’s over a decade ago?

Get rid of the name and I tell you we got a coordinator who was a Broyles finalist twice in the last five years, a P5 coordinator who had a top ten defense 4/5 years in his last stop, and has a good track record with linebacker play and people would be foaming at the mouth
Preach Christina Aguilera GIF

I truly don’t get why this fan base like to dig up old chit that’s no longer relevant.

“We don’t want Mario, b/c look at what he did at FIU!”

“We don’t want Steele b/c of that one bowl game from 2011-12.”

Can we talk about chit that matters, like what have u done for me lately, vs. finding clips from YouTube that’s of low quality b/c it’s over a decade ago?
I'm starting to accept that there's a large base of people on here that use this place to take out all of life's frustrations. Nothing will make them happy regarding Cane's football beyond 15-0 with all blowouts.

To not see the difference in having Mario and a guy like Kevin Steele as our DC vs what we've been doing for the last 15-20 years is wild. I'm ready for a program lead by legit football men. I'm no longer concerned going into big games. This is only good.

Advertisement
Back