Keshawn Lawrence latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean get played? They recruited the best prospects and didn’t land them. That doesn’t mean they got played just means they aren’t elite recruiters. And what was Banda supposed to do not accept the commitments from Williams and Tennison?
He was supposed to hold onto both and not let them slip away like every elite DB that talks to them.

Advertisement
Except battle wasn't higher on the board than smith
OK.

Yet he ends up at Baga and we fought off Kentucky for Smith.

Seems legit...

Doesn't really matter as Battle is a FS and Smith is a SS/Box Safety/Striker

Since that class, the list of his and Rumph's misses takes a huge **** on the list of the guys that we have landed.

Isn't that true of basically every staff in the country that isn't Baga, UGHEY, Clempson, O$U, and maybe l$u? If you are pretty much any other P5 school in the country targeting top tier, blue chip talent, you will inevitably miss on some elite 5*s and 4*s, and wind up "settling" for other 4*s and some 3*s.

2018:
We settled on Bethel after whiffing on Josh Jobe, Tyson Campbell, Patrick Surtain Jr (never a real shot IMO) and Asante Samuel.

Blades was always coming b/c he is a legacy, but didn't even start his Sr year in HS behind a guy (Samuels) we slow played like idiots thinking we had others locked up.

We also took one less DB than we wanted in addition to settling for Bethel b/c we were hard after closing up with Jobe and Campbell to add to Hall, Frierson, Blades and Ivey.

2019:

We 100% settled for Tecory Couch(tiny) and Keontra Smith(no ball skills) as both got their offers after our better options started falling through.

We settled for Bubba Bolden (yes even though he is a stud) b/c we knew we weren't getting $tevenson who was at the top of the board for the whole class.

Nobody knew about Christian Williams till super late in the cycle when L$U was almost full but would still take him and Baga only wanted him as a EE, so Rumph got lucky as **** and landed his highest rated recruit yet.

Yes we have some good DBs on this roster, but don't act like we didn't want many others ahead of these guys and just whiffed and moved onto the next guy down our list.

It happens to every coaching staff, just happens to these two a little more than others b/c they aren't good recruiters.

So should I stop following the Canes now broke b/c I don't keep my orange and green glasses on at all times, blinding me to reality?
If we settled on all the players and the coaches suck then why do you continue to root for the Canes if they are such a disappointment do yourself a favor and go root for Bama or Clemson!

OK.

Yet he ends up at Baga and we fought off Kentucky for Smith.

Seems legit...

Doesn't really matter as Battle is a FS and Smith is a SS/Box Safety/Striker
Unless you just started following recruiting right now I understand but if not you are lost. We were pursuing smith way longer and harder than battle. We didn't push for battle till almost the end of the cycle after smith was already committed

Advertisement
2018:
We settled on Bethel after whiffing on Josh Jobe, Tyson Campbell, Patrick Surtain Jr (never a real shot IMO) and Asante Samuel.

Blades was always coming b/c he is a legacy, but didn't even start his Sr year in HS behind a guy (Samuels) we slow played like idiots thinking we had others locked up.

We also took one less DB than we wanted in addition to settling for Bethel b/c we were hard after closing up with Jobe and Campbell to add to Hall, Frierson, Blades and Ivey.

2019:

We 100% settled for Tecory Couch(tiny) and Keontra Smith(no ball skills) as both got their offers after our better options started falling through.

We settled for Bubba Bolden (yes even though he is a stud) b/c we knew we weren't getting $tevenson who was at the top of the board for the whole class.

Nobody knew about Christian Williams till super late in the cycle when L$U was almost full but would still take him and Baga only wanted him as a EE, so Rumph got lucky as **** and landed his highest rated recruit yet.

Yes we have some good DBs on this roster, but don't act like we didn't want many others ahead of these guys and just whiffed and moved onto the next guy down our list.

It happens to every coaching staff, just happens to these two a little more than others b/c they aren't good recruiters.

So should I stop following the Canes now broke b/c I don't keep my orange and green glasses on at all times, blinding me to reality?
The blades not starting at STA had nothing to do with football. It’s been said many times on this board.

If we settled on all the players and the coaches suck then why do you continue to root for the Canes if they are such a disappointment do yourself a favor and go root for Bama or Clemson!
**** I didn't know broke had a second screen name in here...

I guess the bottom of that post was directed at your sunshine pumping non reality accepting *** too.

Who is more of a Canes Fan?

The fan that doesn't want to accept mediocrity and points it out, or the one who always has their orange and green glasses on saying everything we do is the best and every recruit we get no matter what is the best and if you think differently you aren't a Cane and should go follow another team...

The answer is none, we are all die hard Canes on here (other than the few trolls) who want to discuss our favorite team and recruiting.

It would be a pretty boring place if we all thought the same and had nothing to discuss.

Some people just star ***** their way through recruiting and constitute not getting every elite player as a loss. Will we loss some? Yes. Will we start getting more with better production on the field? Yes. Was the defense the main issue for being 7-6 in 2018? **** no. Fixing the offense should be the primary concern, especially recruiting and development of the OL. Missing on kids from last year or previous years is irrelevant.

If Jordan Battle is as pro-Miami from jump street as Duke Johnson, does Keontra Smith get an offer? Fair question.

If the answer is no, then yes, Miami settled with Smith. And like you said, that's not a bad thing. Smith may very well wind up being better. But every staff has a board. And if you miss out on a higher kid and get a lower kid on that board, you settled. Really not a debate.

This is pretty accurate and I'm not sure how people can honestly argue it. The truth is, there aren't many (if any) staffs in the country that get their top picks at every position every year. Most staffs are settling to some degree.

When settling means missing on a safety ranked No. 43 overall and hitting on an athletic safety ranked No. 188 overall, that's fine (and probably still better than how most staffs are "settling"). But when settling means missing on the No. 1 OT in the country (Neal) and, then missing on so many others that you end up replacing him with the No. 70 OT (ElGammal) in the country, that's a problem. Yeah, maybe the player you settled on ends up surprising everybody, but relying on that to happen is not a recipe for success.

Advertisement
Listen, out of all of these names that you listed that you said played the Canes, only a handful will turn out to be any good. Many of those guys (like Jobe) are going to be straight busts. Several of the players that you feel the Canes settled for are going to turn out to be solid players. Is our recruiting elite, nope. Is it awful, nope. Hopefully a couple solid seasons under Manny and we will be able to change that.

Advertisement
Unless you just started following recruiting right now I understand but if not you are lost. We were pursuing smith way longer and harder than battle. We didn't push for battle till almost the end of the cycle after smith was already committed
I guess you don't remember us going hard after Battle before he originally committed to O$U before the season I believe.

After that we stopped focusing on him then later in the cycle (when you seem to think we went after him) he flipped to Baga and we weren't even a thought in his recruitment.

It is true that we didn't prioritize Battle until late spring / early summer b/c we thought we were sitting pretty for $tevenson, then all the UbaGA talk started getting hot and we put more focus on Battle.

We were also after Gant before Battle I believe.

Those guys were all looked at as FSs, and Smith is a SS who played LB in HS and had 1 or no INTs if I remember correctly his Jr season but over 100 tackles.

Advertisement
2018:

2019:

You are completely wrong. They didn't settle for bethel. They wanted him in the class regardless if the other guys came or not. They didn't want samuel because he is 5'8 and slow. They were recruiting couch the entire time even after he commited to michigan. And if you call smith a settle then i will settle for high school all-americans everday.

Going to the portal means you missed.

I haven't read through this thread and have no clue what else was said. but as it relates to Bolden, he was not a panic last minute grab. they were on him long before the misses. he was part of the plan regardless of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back