Keontra Smith Junior Day tidbit

Did I say he can't be a good safety? No. I said "He isn't a pure safety". Idk if you watched his highlight tape, but he's basically a ******* LB. Sorry but hybrid S/LBs are not high priorities in my eyes. Out of those players I listed WHO EXACTLY is he a take over?
I'll list them again for you:
1. Stevenson
2. Chris Steele
3. Jaden Davis
4. Jordan Battle
5. Kaiir Elam
6. Brendan Gant
7. Josh Sanguinetti
8. Te'Corey Couch
And of course Richards and McIntosh have a spot.

We will take 5-6 DBs (not including Richards or McIntosh who very well could play safety). How many of those guys are you passing up to take Smith? Thats the ******* question dude. we have no DBs committed right now, and there are 8 months till ESD in December. Plus we are already taking 4 LBs. There is plenty of time to make a move for a Hybrid S/LB, but he should not be the highest priortity right now. Obviously recruit him, but no way in **** he's a take over any of those 10 guys I listed.
I actually think that his ability to also play linebacker adds value to his game. Would love to take a guy with flexibility to his game. Steele and Gant are long shots. Elam seems like a longshot right now also. Davis will be a battle and no one knows if Stevenson is even a lock at this point. If Smith wants to jump on board now you take it before its too late. Also Battle has been leaning OSU. Cant wait arround for these kids and miss out on other prospects every year dude hasta cuando?

Advertisement
Did I say he can't be a good safety? No. I said "He isn't a pure safety". Idk if you watched his highlight tape, but he's basically a ******* LB. Sorry but hybrid S/LBs are not high priorities in my eyes. Out of those players I listed WHO EXACTLY is he a take over?
I'll list them again for you:
1. Stevenson
2. Chris Steele
3. Jaden Davis
4. Jordan Battle
5. Kaiir Elam
6. Brendan Gant
7. Josh Sanguinetti
8. Te'Corey Couch

We will take 5-6 DBs (not including Richards or McIntosh who very well could play safety). How many of those guys are you passing up to take Smith? Thats the ******* question dude. we have no DBs committed right now, and there are 8 months till ESD in December. Plus we are already taking 4 LBs. There is plenty of time to make a move for a Hybrid S/LB, but he should not be the highest priortity right now. Obviously recruit him, but no way in **** he's a take over any of those 10 guys I listed.

I agree with your premise, but this exact thing happened with Samuel/Jobe last year.

I don't think they're making that same mistake again by turning away K. Smith and waiting to see if Steele and Gant (longshots) want in, plus we're not recruiting Elam (which is a whole nother issue). And Battle & Davis certainly aren't locks either.

I agree with your premise, but this exact thing happened with Samuel/Jobe last year.

I don't think they're making that same mistake again by turning away K. Smith and waiting to see if Steele and Gant (longshots) want in, plus we're not recruiting Elam (which is a whole nother issue). And Battle & Davis certainly aren't locks either.
No it didn't. Samuel should have been a for sure take the entire time. Then he was independently evaluated to be a take same way Nigel Bethel was.

but even if this example was accurate, I would still say we don't need to ******* commit to Smith 8 months ahead of time. When it gets closer to October, then you guys may have a valid point. But thats the entire thing, we have no idea right now how this DB class will be shaping up for at least a couple months. There is absolutely no reason to reach on Smith right now. Sorry but he's ******* committed to Kentucky. And eventually we may view him as a for sure take. But right now there just is no rush.

I actually think that his ability to also play linebacker adds value to his game. Would love to take a guy with flexibility to his game. Steele and Gant are long shots. Elam seems like a longshot right now also. Davis will be a battle and no one knows if Stevenson is even a lock at this point. If Smith wants to jump on board now you take it before its too late. Also Battle has been leaning OSU. Cant wait arround for these kids and miss out on other prospects every year dude hasta cuando?

I agree, I actually think he has some roquan smith type of plays in his hudl tape.

The problem with this is Asante Jr should have been a take the entire time. Keontra Smith isn't even a pure S. He's a hybrid S/LB. And we're already taking 4 LBs this class. Plus we have Frierson and Blades who potentially could move to Safety in the future.
The top safeties imo are Battle, Richards, and Gant. Stevenson also if you don't count him as a Corner. Those 4 are all takes. Three of them haven't picked a school yet. I absolutely would want to get a sense of how this DB class will play out before accepting a commitment from Smith. December is ******* 8 months away dude - if he's even going to sign early. We have plenty of time.
I've said this but:
1. Stevenson
2. Chris Steele
4. Jaden Davis
5. Jordan Battle
6. Kaiir Elam
7. Brendan Gant
8. Josh Sanguinetti
9. Te'Corey Couch

So imo you take the highest 5-6 AND Richards and McIntosh and thats our DB class. Im sure I missed a couple guys, but the point is Keonta Smith as a hybrid shouldn't be one of our top priorities.

If only it were so easy. You realize Steel, Elam, and Gant are long shots? And we're not the favorite for Davis or Battle. Stevenson is going to be a battle supreme. Sanguinetti we're probably 50/50 with Stanford. It's possible that we get none of the guys on your list.

I like Smith alot as one of the safeties. Stevenson I like (obviously) whether it's as a CB or S. Hopefully add Dixon as a CB and maybe Sanguinetti and one more. If we're fortunate enough to get Richards, he may very well end up on offense. If we get McIntosh, I think RB or LB is more likely than S.

Advertisement
If only it were so easy. You realize Steel, Elam, and Gant are long shots? And we're not the favorite for Davis or Battle. Stevenson is going to be a battle supreme. Sanguinetti we're probably 50/50 with Stanford. It's possible that we get none of the guys on your list.

I like Smith alot as one of the safeties. Stevenson I like (obviously) whether it's as a CB or S. Hopefully add Dixon as a CB and maybe Sanguinetti and one more. If we're fortunate enough to get Richards, he may very well end up on offense. If we get McIntosh, I think RB or LB is more likely than S.
So you're idea is to not even try to recruit those guys and to just go with the lesser talent 8 months ahead of ESD and 10 months ahead of NSD?
Like come on, we don't even have one ******* DB commit yet. I really don't get why everyone is in such a rush to add like the 10th (or later) best DB we're targeting.

So you're idea is to not even try to recruit those guys and to just go with the lesser talent 8 months ahead of ESD and 10 months ahead of NSD?
Like come on, we don't even have one ******* DB commit yet. I really don't get why everyone is in such a rush to add like the 10th (or later) best DB we're targeting.

Where did I say that? Getting Smith doesn't stop us from recruiting the other guys. We're probably looking to sign about 5 DBs.

It's still baffling how you consider Smith a "lesser talent", just because you think he's a hybrid player. That literally makes no sense, as having the ability to line up in multiple spots only adds value.

You seem to have a very personal hatred for the kid, I don't get it. Again he's a 4*, top-200 player who is one of the best pound for pound athletes in South Florida. How is a kid like that not a take in a class that could have 27-28 players?

Advertisement
It's still baffling how you consider Smith a "lesser talent", just because you think he's a hybrid player. That literally makes no sense, as having the ability to line up in multiple spots only adds value.

You seem to have a very personal hatred for the kid, I don't get it. Again he's a 4*, top-200 player who is one of the best pound for pound athletes in South Florida. How is a kid like that not a take in a class that could have 27-28 players?
I absolutely do not see the increased value in a guy that is a hybrid S/LB when we are already bringing in 4 ******* Lbs in this class. sorry but I want a ******* pure S. I'm not concerned AT ALL what Smith can provide as a LB. I'm concerned with what he provides as a Safety prospect. And in that regard he doesn't crack the top 3 of Richards, Battle, or Gant. And I'd still take McIntosh who could be a safety in the future, or switching Frierson, Blades, or even having Stevenson play there.

I don't at all have a personal hatred for him, and you implying that is pretty retarded. I'm pointing out what you're failing to comprehend -theres at least 10 DBs I've named that should be prioritized over him. You still have yet to disagree with that. So I suppose you either think we shouldn't recruit the better players because they might not pick us, or just get Smiths commitment, then kick him out of the class at a later date.

Either way, I think you're just completely wrong about this situation. This is simple give me your order of DBs in this class. If you have Smith in your top 5-6, then we can just agree to disagree that you think Smith is a better player than I do. If you don't have Smith as a top 6 DB, Idk why the **** you're even arguing with me, because it would mean I'm right.

Where did I say that? Getting Smith doesn't stop us from recruiting the other guys. We're probably looking to sign about 5 DBs.
I agree with 5 DBs + Richards and McIntosh.
So say we take Smiths commitment right now.
Then Stevenson, Steele, Davis, Battle, Sanguinetti, Gant, Couch, Dixon, etc all want in this class. Who are you leaving out to take Smith, or are you just planning on taking his commitment knowing full well the plan is to drop him once we get 5 of the 8 guys I just listed?

The staff's safety board I heard is K. Smith, T. Stevenson, and B. Gant. They would take all 3 if possible.

Advertisement
Few things.

Elam is not a priority for them. Steele is a majorrrrrr longshot. If McIntosh does end up on defense down the line, it will be as a LB.

Sanguinetti will be a corner.

Staff really likes Stevenson as a safety but they know he could play CB if needed.

Word is they want 3 S and they have been very open to allowing Richards to play offense. Which Richards played WR at last years Paradise Camp and looked good.

They are very much interested in Gant & Battle but neither are a guarentee for Miami. Battle is much more likely and I’ve heard his father wants him at Miami.

Smith is the box safety for the class and can fill into the rover role when we go nickle. Smith is a take, you may have a different opinion but the staffs is different.

You are also comparing apples to oranges too. Some of these guys will play different roles in the defense. You need a guy capable of coming down in the box and you need that single high safety and nickel and boundary corner.

Elam(not a priority), Couch, Jaden, Steele, John Dixon & Renardo have nothing to do with Smith recruitment.

Likely scenario is 3 S and 3 CB.

I see you’re also putting down Smith for his commitment to Kentucky. He committed there because a whole bunch of Chaminade kids are going there and have committed there. He has legitimate offers from other P5 schools.

With that logic we shouldn’t have taken Jarren Williams?

Few things.

Elam is not a priority for them. Steele is a majorrrrrr longshot. If McIntosh does end up on defense down the line, it will be as a LB.

Staff really likes Stevenson as a safety but they know he could play CB if needed.

Word is they want 3 S and they have been very open to allowing Richards to play offense. Which Richards played WR at last years Paradise Camp and looked good.

They are very much interested in Gant & Battle but neither are a guarentee for Miami. Battle is much more likely and I’ve heard his father wants him at Miami.

Smith is the box safety for the class and can fill into the rover role when we go nickle. Smith is a take, you may have a different opinion but the staffs is different.

You are also comparing apples to oranges too. Some of these guys will play different roles in the defense. You need a guy capable of coming down in the box and you need that single high safety and nickel and boundary corner.

Elam(not a priority), Couch, Jaden, Steele, John Dixon & Renardo have nothing to do with Smith recruitment.

Few things.

Elam(not a priority), Couch, Jaden, Steele, John Dixon & Renardo have nothing to do with

Sounds about right to me. I’d like to see us take 7 total if possible

Advertisement
I absolutely do not see the increased value in a guy that is a hybrid S/LB when we are already bringing in 4 ******* Lbs in this class. sorry but I want a ******* pure S. I'm not concerned AT ALL what Smith can provide as a LB. I'm concerned with what he provides as a Safety prospect. And in that regard he doesn't crack the top 3 of Richards, Battle, or Gant. And I'd still take McIntosh who could be a safety in the future, or switching Frierson, Blades, or even having Stevenson play there.

I don't at all have a personal hatred for him, and you implying that is pretty RETARDED . I'm pointing out what you're failing to comprehend -theres at least 10 DBs I've named that should be prioritized over him. You still have yet to disagree with that. So I suppose you either think we shouldn't recruit the better players because they might not pick us, or just get Smiths commitment, then kick him out of the class at a later date.

Either way, I think you're just completely wrong about this situation. This is simple give me your order of DBs in this class. If you have Smith in your top 5-6, then we can just agree to disagree that you think Smith is a better player than I do. If you don't have Smith as a top 6 DB, Idk why the **** you're even arguing with me, because it would mean I'm right.

Come on dude, using the word RETARDED, is as offensive as ni&&er. I could offer countless other labels for you that would suffice in this scenario. I do agree with you however.

Few things.

So once again we have the argument of we should get someone because the guys that are higher priorities are more difficult to land.
honestly thats complete bs to me. If we get Stevenson, Battle, and Richards thats 3 safeties, is it not? Then you say McIntosh will play LB if anything, but you could say the same thing about Smith, so whats the difference? I will agree it looks like Elam isn't a priority for this staff atm, but imo thats a mistake, cause theres no way I wouldnt take him over Sanguinetti or smith or more guys tbh..

Anyways, once again I ask - out of Stevenson, Richards, Davis, Sanguinetti, Steele, Battle, Gant, Dixon, Renardo, etc, etc WHO are you kicking out for Smith. This is a super simple question none of you guys want to answer. I think the reason why is pretty obvious.

Look I'm not saying Smith should never be a take here or that I don't want him. What I'm saying has been extremely simple and clear, he is not a take over the top guys on our board. We are 8 **** months away from ESD. We have a lot of time. We should not be in any sort of rush to get Smith into this class. You can call all those DBs longshots all you want, but I think we have a good shot with all of them except maybe Steele. I think we could get Elam too.

Cali,respectfully, you're too worked up about this. Geo was pretty clear that Smith is a take because his role will be different than the other DBs you list. We also have QBs and DTs that are higher up on our list than Smith, but what does that have to do with his position? Don't dig in so much. You're a smart guy. The coaches know what they're doing in terms of talent evaluation, and they like Smith for the box safety / rover role, which Diaz needs for his style of defense.

Advertisement
Back