Keontra Smith Junior Day tidbit

You should post more often.

You always bring good info to the boards.

Few things.

Elam is not a priority for them. Steele is a majorrrrrr longshot. If McIntosh does end up on defense down the line, it will be as a LB.

Sanguinetti will be a corner.

Staff really likes Stevenson as a safety but they know he could play CB if needed.

Word is they want 3 S and they have been very open to allowing Richards to play offense. Which Richards played WR at last years Paradise Camp and looked good.

They are very much interested in Gant & Battle but neither are a guarentee for Miami. Battle is much more likely and I’ve heard his father wants him at Miami.

Smith is the box safety for the class and can fill into the rover role when we go nickle. Smith is a take, you may have a different opinion but the staffs is different.

You are also comparing apples to oranges too. Some of these guys will play different roles in the defense. You need a guy capable of coming down in the box and you need that single high safety and nickel and boundary corner.

Elam(not a priority), Couch, Jaden, Steele, John Dixon & Renardo have nothing to do with Smith recruitment.

Likely scenario is 3 S and 3 CB.

Advertisement
Couch, Jaden, Spaghetti at corner.
Rique, Battle, Smiff at safety.

There may be a better corner out there than the three I listed who wants to come, and bring em on if so...., but I really want those three specific safeties.

I want McIntosh at linebacker.

I hope there's a really dynamic waterbug Bandy-replacement type corner in next year's class, I haven't seen that type yet but I'm sure there's a few out there.

Thought you literally said recently that Stevenson was a Safety?
Now you're saying CB?

Honestly Idgaf which he plays, just makes sure he's a Cane.

Not me. I dont speak on down south players much as i dont see them. I always looked at Stevenson as a big cb. He definately can play FS though as well.Hes a big kid even before coming here or entering college. But so was Tyson and Pat Jr.

I agree with 5 DBs + Richards and McIntosh.
So say we take Smiths commitment right now.
Then Stevenson, Steele, Davis, Battle, Sanguinetti, Gant, Couch, Dixon, etc all want in this class. Who are you leaving out to take Smith, or are you just planning on taking his commitment knowing full well the plan is to drop him once we get 5 of the 8 guys I just listed?

Don't hold your breath on that. Chances of that happening are infinitesimally small.

Advertisement
Couch, Jaden, Spaghetti at corner.
Rique, Battle, Smiff at safety.

There may be a better corner out there than the three I listed who wants to come, and bring em on if so...., but I really want those three specific safeties.

I want McIntosh at linebacker.

I hope there's a really dynamic waterbug Bandy-replacement type corner in next year's class, I haven't seen that type yet but I'm sure there's a few out there.
outside of landing Steele from Cali, this DB class is SICK!!! I'd even be alright with Green at corner. Think he can be really good!

I agree with your premise, but this exact thing happened with Samuel/Jobe last year.

I don't think they're making that same mistake again by turning away K. Smith and waiting to see if Steele and Gant (longshots) want in, plus we're not recruiting Elam (which is a whole nother issue). And Battle & Davis certainly aren't locks either.
I'm not sure anybody knows who is on top of our defensive back board.

So once again we have the argument of we should get someone because the guys that are higher priorities are more difficult to land.
honestly thats complete bs to me. If we get Stevenson, Battle, and Richards thats 3 safeties, is it not? Then you say McIntosh will play LB if anything, but you could say the same thing about Smith, so whats the difference? I will agree it looks like Elam isn't a priority for this staff atm, but imo thats a mistake, cause theres no way I wouldnt take him over Sanguinetti or smith or more guys tbh..

Anyways, once again I ask - out of Stevenson, Richards, Davis, Sanguinetti, Steele, Battle, Gant, Dixon, Renardo, etc, etc WHO are you kicking out for Smith. This is a super simple question none of you guys want to answer. I think the reason why is pretty obvious.

Look I'm not saying Smith should never be a take here or that I don't want him. What I'm saying has been extremely simple and clear, he is not a take over the top guys on our board. We are 8 **** months away from ESD. We have a lot of time. We should not be in any sort of rush to get Smith into this class. You can call all those DBs longshots all you want, but I think we have a good shot with all of them except maybe Steele. I think we could get Elam too.

I’ll answr this clown.

Smith is a safety. He’s one of the top 4 safeties on our board, and we’re looking to take 3 just as I predicted. Gant, battle, and Stevenson will get the other 2 spots. Richards starts at WR for us.

Advertisement
I’ll answr this clown.

Smith is a safety. He’s one of the top 4 safeties on our board, and we’re looking to take 3 just as I predicted. Gant, battle, and Stevenson will get the other 2 spots. Richards starts at WR for us.
Okay, so you're calling me a clown, but you ******* agree with what I'm saying? Lol. I haven't said Smith wasn't top 4 safeties for us.
I'm merely stating that Stevenson, Richards, Battle, and Gant were ALL better prospects (with Richards being a take as an athlete). And You say we want 3 of those guys. How is that any ******* different than what I've been saying?

Okay, so you're calling me a clown, but you ******* agree with what I'm saying? Lol. I haven't said Smith wasn't top 4 safeties for us.
I'm merely stating that Stevenson, Richards, Battle, and Gant were ALL better prospects (with Richards being a take as an athlete). And You say we want 3 of those guys. How is that any ******* different than what I've been saying?
Beacause you talking as if we gonna go 4/4 you *******. Any player thats top 5 on your board you gotta take!!!!!! If the other guys get left out its on them for not commiting but at least you secured one of the top players at that position already. Its better to get the fourth on your board and then see where the ships land than to possibly end up with none.

Beacause you talking as if we gonna go 4/4 you *******. Any player thats top 5 on your board you gotta take!!!!!! If the other guys get left out its on them for not commiting but at least you secured one of the top players at that position already. Its better to get the fourth on your board and then see where the ships land than to possibly end up with none.

Yep.

Gant and Battle are both huge longshots. Stevenson seems like we feel good about but it will still be tough, and Richards wants to play offense. If Smith wants in, it's a pretty easy decision for the coaching staff.

I think maybe you hold one spot for Steele/Stevenson, but for the other 4-5 you take whoever wants in 1st between Couch, Green, Dixon, Davis, Battle, Gant, Smith, Sanguinetti, and maybe a couple more.

The kids you hold back on allowing in are Logan, Nunn, and that caliber. It's not kids like Smith or Couch

Yep.

Gant and Battle are both huge longshots. Stevenson seems like we feel good about but it will still be tough, and Richards wants to play offense. If Smith wants in, it's a pretty easy decision for the coaching staff.

I think maybe you hold one spot for Steele/Stevenson, but for the other 4-5 you take whoever wants in 1st between Couch, Green, Dixon, Davis, Battle, Gant, Smith, Sanguinetti, and maybe a couple more.

The kids you hold back on allowing in are Logan, Nunn, and that caliber. It's not kids like Smith or Couch

Yes - and FWIW, this is pretty much what Ivins has said the staff is thinking. Could be a first come, first serve kind of thing ....

Advertisement
So once again we have the argument of we should get someone because the guys that are higher priorities are more difficult to land.
honestly thats complete bs to me. If we get Stevenson, Battle, and Richards thats 3 safeties, is it not? Then you say McIntosh will play LB if anything, but you could say the same thing about Smith, so whats the difference? I will agree it looks like Elam isn't a priority for this staff atm, but imo thats a mistake, cause theres no way I wouldnt take him over Sanguinetti or smith or more guys tbh..

Anyways, once again I ask - out of Stevenson, Richards, Davis, Sanguinetti, Steele, Battle, Gant, Dixon, Renardo, etc, etc WHO are you kicking out for Smith. This is a super simple question none of you guys want to answer. I think the reason why is pretty obvious.

Look I'm not saying Smith should never be a take here or that I don't want him. What I'm saying has been extremely simple and clear, he is not a take over the top guys on our board. We are 8 **** months away from ESD. We have a lot of time. We should not be in any sort of rush to get Smith into this class. You can call all those DBs longshots all you want, but I think we have a good shot with all of them except maybe Steele. I think we could get Elam too.
Elam is pointless to talk about because he’s just not a priority for them.

Renardo, Dixon, Jaden, Sanguinetti & Couch have nothing to do with Smith recruitment. Those guys are corners at Miami.

They are looking to take 3 S. It’s likely that it is Tyrique & Smith and the last will be between Battle & Gant and if neither come, then Nunn & Logan come into play. They have been recruiting Richards on offense lately.

I understand what you are saying to a small extent but Smith is very much Miami caliber, this is a legitimate 5’11” 200 kid who’s very athletic and runs a legit 4.5 laser as of over a month ago. If you have gripes with that, talk to banda but there is a reason why he’s a priority. He fits more than SS, they can drop him down to Sam/rover in the nickel too. Versatility.

Elam is pointless to talk about because he’s just not a priority for them.

Renardo, Dixon, Jaden, Sanguinetti & Couch have nothing to do with Smith recruitment. Those guys are corners at Miami.

They are looking to take 3 S. It’s likely that it is Tyrique & Smith and the last will be between Battle & Gant and if neither come, then Nunn & Logan come into play. They have been recruiting Richards on offense lately.

I understand what you are saying to a small extent but Smith is very much Miami caliber, this is a legitimate 5’11” 200 kid who’s very athletic and runs a legit 4.5 laser as of over a month ago. If you have gripes with that, talk to banda but there is a reason why he’s a priority. He fits more than SS, they can drop him down to Sam/rover in the nickel too. Versatility.
Okay you guys keep saying his versatility is a big positive for him...how? How is adding another LB/S hybrid a positive for us at this point in time?
I just don't get that. We are recruiting 4 ******* LBs this yr! we don't need a guy that can play LB. We need a guy that will exclusively be a DB.

So I understand that typically a guy that could drop down to LB is seen as making him versatile, and boosting his value, but that simply is not the case for us. We are in absolutely no need of hybrid S/LBs. I mean that much seems very clear, shouldn't it? Why on earth recruit a guy who is more of a hybrid S/LB over a guy that is purely just a Safety or at least a CB/S, which is needed for us much more....unless he is just a vastly superior prospect, which Smith is not.

And again for the last ******* time, I'm not saying Smith isn't Miami caliber. I'm saying he's not one of our top 6-9 prospects, so why rush him to commit. Recruit him hard, and when it gets close to October and we have a better idea of what the DB class is shaping up to be, then you push for his commitment. You don't shoot your load this early man.

but Smith isn't top 5 which I literally showed.

He's barely a top 10 db for us. Thats just the facts. Sure we may not hit on all our targets,, but thats when we should shoot for a commitment from Smith. Not before the guys ahead of him have even announced where they want to go. Thats called settling.

Advertisement
but Smith isn't top 5 which I literally showed.

He's barely a top 10 db for us. Thats just the facts. Sure we may not hit on all our targets,, but thats when we should shoot for a commitment from Smith. Not before the guys ahead of him have even announced where they want to go. Thats called settling.

What ****** lumps corners and safeties together? lol. Smith is a top 4 safety, and we're taking 3 safeties. That's all the math you need to know.

Okay you guys keep saying his versatility is a big positive for him...how? How is adding another LB/S hybrid a positive for us at this point in time?
I just don't get that. We are recruiting 4 ******* LBs this yr! we don't need a guy that can play LB. We need a guy that will exclusively be a DB.

So I understand that typically a guy that could drop down to LB is seen as making him versatile, and boosting his value, but that simply is not the case for us. We are in absolutely no need of hybrid S/LBs. I mean that much seems very clear, shouldn't it? Why on earth recruit a guy who is more of a hybrid S/LB over a guy that is purely just a Safety or at least a CB/S, which is needed for us much more....unless he is just a vastly superior prospect, which Smith is not.

And again for the last ******* time, I'm not saying Smith isn't Miami caliber. I'm saying he's not one of our top 6-9 prospects, so why rush him to commit. Recruit him hard, and when it gets close to October and we have a better idea of what the DB class is shaping up to be, then you push for his commitment. You don't shoot your load this early man.

He is not a safety/lb hybrid. Hybrid typically implies he doesn't fit squarely into either position. Smith is a 5'11, 200lb, 4.5 running, physical, athletic safety, who is also comfortable playing near the los. He's not a hybrid. He's a legit boundary safety with position flexibility. At that position, the kid is a clear take.

Advertisement
Back