Ken Dorsey The New OC???

Advertisement
Dorsey was a great college QB. End of story. Saying otherwise is laughable and provably wrong (as evidenced by this thread).

As a pro, he didn't have the arm strength nor mobility to make it...plain & simple.

However, the reason why he made it as a pro for so long was because of his mind. He was used as a tutor, a player/coach, and was helpful in making a gameplan with the offensive coaching staffs in San Fran and Cleveland. Even after his playing career was over, NFL minds in Carolina thought highly enough of his football knowledge to bring him in as a scout.

Now--the key stop on Dorsey's resume that makes me feel like he could be an OC somewhere today is his last stop as a player: with the Toronto Argonauts in 2010. There, he was on the QB depth chart behind Cleo Lemon and Dalton Bell as the 3rd String Emergency QB, but he wasn't much more than a coach. Toronto is where he started trying to put together his own playbook to prepare for a future gig as an OC. The Toronto Sun did a short but nice article on Dorsey, seen here: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/10/26/15841351.html

So, while he doesn't have the tangible resume that the other names we've all thrown out there have, Dorsey's been preparing to become an OC for a few years now.

Miami has pumped out tons of elite level pro players, many of which Dorsey played with. Lots of them are still in the league playing at a super-high level, and a few will be playing for championships starting today, and for the Lombardi Trophy in 2 weeks. However--I would argue that other than maybe Ed Reed, no better football mind came out of Coral Gables during Ken Dorsey's time as a Hurricane.

Given that--I wouldn't be opposed to Dorsey being our OC, even though it would be his first gig. Sure, there would be bumps in the road where he'd have to learn--but I'd rather him learn on the job with us than against us.

Also--look at the success that former contemporaries of Dorsey's at the QB spot have found in today's CFB coaching ranks:

1) Josh Heupel at Oklahoma. He had a stint as a GA with OU, then a TE Coach at Zona, and then back at OU as a QB Coach, until he was made Co-OC in 2010. Heupel is the playcaller, Jay Norvell is the designer.

2) Major Applewhite at Texas. He was a GA at Texas for a couple of years, then coached QB's at Syracuse. He got an OC gig at Rice, and then the next year was at Alabama in the same position. He came back to Texas in 2008 and is now Co-OC and QB's coach. He doesn't call the plays, Darrell Wyatt does--but Applewhite designs the playbook.

3) Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. His playing career ended in 2007, and he became an Offensive Assistant with Houston shortly after. In just 2 years doing that, he was named Co-OC and QB coach in 2010. When Kevin Sumlin and his staff came from Houston to Texas A&M, Kingsbury was named OC/QB Coach, and has been given credit for Johnny Manziel's development as a QB. Texas Tech was smart enough to bring him aboard as HC when Tuberville left for Cincy.

Also--look at the success that former contemporaries of Dorsey's at the QB spot have found in today's CFB coaching ranks:

1) Josh Heupel at Oklahoma. He had a stint as a GA with OU, then a TE Coach at Zona, and then back at OU as a QB Coach, until he was made Co-OC in 2010. Heupel is the playcaller, Jay Norvell is the designer.

2) Major Applewhite at Texas. He was a GA at Texas for a couple of years, then coached QB's at Syracuse. He got an OC gig at Rice, and then the next year was at Alabama in the same position. He came back to Texas in 2008 and is now Co-OC and QB's coach. He doesn't call the plays, Darrell Wyatt does--but Applewhite designs the playbook.

3) Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. His playing career ended in 2007, and he became an Offensive Assistant with Houston shortly after. In just 2 years doing that, he was named Co-OC and QB coach in 2010. When Kevin Sumlin and his staff came from Houston to Texas A&M, Kingsbury was named OC/QB Coach, and has been given credit for Johnny Manziel's development as a QB. Texas Tech was smart enough to bring him aboard as HC when Tuberville left for Cincy.

Those 3 guys you mention all had stellar careers playing college football.
Just like Dorsey.
And all 3 of them started at the bottom of the college football coaching ladder, working their way up
at different programs under different coaches.
Yet you think it is a good idea for Dorsey to simply walk in as an OC at a big-time program like UM?
You contradicted yourself, but at least on your last post you illustrated why all coaches need to
cut their teeth at the entry level of coaching before becoming a senior-level type of coach.
On-the-job training for coordinators does not at UM.
We should know this by now.

Advertisement
Medley...the reason why I am OK with Dorsey being OC for us right now is that Dorsey basically replaced the college experience that those guys have with experience in the pros. By all accounts, Dorsey was a professional QB until 2011...but basically was a player/coach for most of his pro career. That's experience that may as well be comparable to the resumes of the guys I just posted.

IMO, he has "cut his teeth", just in a different way than guys like Heupel and Co.

Wow, so in one thread we have a poster who says Cristobal should be the OC because he ran a prostyle offense at FIU and not the "spread oopdy scoop crap". Even though if anybody ever just by mistake flipped it to a FIU game by mistake knew they ran a hurryup spread offense and went as far as to hire a chip kelly disciple from NH to implement said offense. Now in this thread we have a new poster saying Dorsey wasnt what fans think because he was drafted late in the draft. Not for what he did on the field for the canes but just for his draft prospect in the NFL. Yikes...

I know its great the the site is growing but now it seems it is flooded with truly clueless people. Not even trolls, lol...

FIU didn't utilize a rushing QB which is what I meant referencing the oopdy scoop and still ran the ball far more than the []_[] even if they were in the hurry up. Also the spread is a good offense to run when you lack talent/size on the offensive line. Whose to say that would be his approach at Miami. Also my endorsement of Cristobal was mostly because former o-linemen tend to like a strong run game.

Kingsbury, Applewhite and Heupal all had Qb coach or co-OC/QB jobs before they were made offensive coordinators.

So tebow was great to huh? Did more then dorsey so he was great

If you don't think Tebow and Dorsey were great college quarterbacks then there is really no point arguing. Tebow won a heisman and Dorsey should have. They were the leaders of two of the best teams in their respective eras.

Advertisement
I really think UM fans give Dorsey more credit then he deserves as a being a "great" QB .... Yall forget the guys he played with at WR,TE and RB were the best in CB and then in the pros ... He was good but he played with some MONSTERS

Shut the **** up.

You can live that Manteo life all you want to the truth hurts lol you mad bro lol

Negged. Dorsey was a great College QB. Dude was 38-2 in his career and was robbed of a second national title.

This. and he honestly got robbed of one in 2000 too. FSU got to go even though we beat them and they chenged the BCS after because of it. We would've stomped OU. FSU only managed a safety.

Dorsey may have been the most cerebral of all the Cane QB's. This is why people like myself think he would make a great coach here one day. Not because of his record or his arm or whatever.

Dorsey was the last QB we had that could come up to the line on his own, and audible to the right play if needed. Sure, we audible some now, but the entire offense just looks over to the coaches for the audible. The QB doesn't do it himself like in the pros.

You should also remember Dorsey on the sidelines getting in people's faces and motivating the team. Another good quality for a coach.

I do agree that he should be a position coach or something 1st.

Kosar and Walsh were pretty **** cerebral as well.

Lmao you guys are hillarious only Miami fans call Dorsey great yes he was a smart QB but he played with some unbelievable talent.... And to the Gator comment im at every home game last yr and this coming year sec. G443 seats 19-23 if you still feel any way by the time season starts most of you dont go to the games and havent been to a game since dorsey played .... Just stating my opinion if you dont like it dont read it

Last edited:
Lmao you guys are hillarious only Miami fans call Dorsey great yes he was a smart QB but he played with some unbelievable talent.... And to the Gator comment im at every home game last yr and this coming year sec. G443 seats 19-23 if you still feel any way by the time season starts most of you dont go to the games and havent been to a game since dorsey played .... Just stating my opinion if you dont like it dont read it
You've brought nothing to this thread, you have no points and nothing you have said makes sense.

Its got nothing to do with liking it or not. Its that your opinion is pretty dumb, and we have to help you realize it.

Dorsey had great players is your ONLY argument. That's stupid.

Back it up with something other than that, and maybe your opinion won't look so dumb.

Advertisement
All the posters thinking its dumb but your still responding to it, havent brought anything to the post but had something to say to my replies .... The truth of the matter is thats how i feel and if you dont like, understand. Or think that it makes sense why reply to it? Just ignore me.... Have you heard one recruit ever mentation Dorseys name when they talk about great players that made them want to come to the U..... Ill wait while you try to make up something

****No need to start name calling:neonu:-USNAVYCANE****

Last edited by a moderator:
All the posters thinking its dumb but your still responding to it, havent brought anything to the post but had something to say to my replies .... The truth of the matter is thats how i feel and if you dont like, understand. Or think that it makes sense why reply to it? Just ignore me.... Have you heard one recruit ever mentation Dorseys name when they talk about great players that made them want to come to the U..... Ill wait while you try to make up something

****No need to start name calling:neonu:****

And so it begins...

Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^GAYTURD MOLE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Advertisement
Back