Kelly Bryant is transferring from Clemson.....

Advertisement
I honestly don't understand why he would transfer. He must know by now he is not an NFL QB. What is 1 more season starting going to do for him? No team in the hunt for a NC are gonna take him. Best case scenario would be he wins an AAC title or he leads some middle of the road P5 team to 8 or 9 wins. Is that really more important for him to do in his last year of football than being the back up (starter again if Lawrence gets hurt) with all the guys he's played since a freshman and try to win a NC?

Clearly he is just doing this bc his feelings are hurt.

But this helps us, so thats good

I honestly don't understand why he would transfer. He must know by now he is not an NFL QB. What is 1 more season starting going to do for him? No team in the hunt for a NC are gonna take him. Best case scenario would be he wins an AAC title or he leads some middle of the road P5 team to 8 or 9 wins. Is that really more important for him to do in his last year of football than being the back up (starter again if Lawrence gets hurt) with all the guys he's played since a freshman and try to win a NC?

Clearly he is just doing this bc his feelings are hurt.

But this helps us, so thats good

He may just want to compete.

Going pro or not I would not want to sit around all season especially is it was my last year. I would think not going pro is more motivation to play the last year even if it is not for powerhouse team. Its all he's got left.

No one wants to sit on the bench. He knows he can play somewhere and it would be better playing than sitting.

Most players aren't going pro and just want to play.

This is interesting.

I'm sure he'll find his way to a starting QB job at a quality place.

Don't think we'll be looking at him, but you never know.

Advertisement
Dabo better hope Lawrence doesn't get hurt or this will be bad for him. He could have kept rotating themin games.....Bryant was a senior anyway and would be gone after this season. If Bryant was stinking it up or making dumb mistakes than I see a change but he's played well

The third string kid looked really good too , pretty sure he had a decent rating.

Let’s be real, that offense is a qb friendly offense. It makes most kids look good.

I don’t blame the kid. Dabo did him favor making the decision now, assuming that was his intent. they are not Canes so I don’t care about any of them but you could argue the kid deserved to keep job until the lost it. This can come back to bite coaches. Your 5* true freshman will watch that four game thing and might leave if they don’t start by then.

Lots of quality D1 teams out there that don't have the Nation's #1 HS QB recruit on the roster. Bryant obviously feels like he'd have a better shot competing for a starting role on one of those programs than against Lawrence. I tend to agree with that. Dabo knows that all he had to do was delay this decision for one more game to block Bryant's immediate eligibility, but he didn't. He did what he thought was best for his program while also allowing room for Kelly to make the best decision for himself. Pretty classy move considering the risk he has to know he's taking should Lawrence get injured.

He will find a team.
The question is will he finish out his College career playing, or will he be looking to impress in order to get his chance in the NFL..
Only Bryant knows......we are all guessing.

Advertisement
The real ****-move would have been for Dabo to wait until Bryant could no longer red shirt and then announce Lawrence as the starter. He did it like this on purpose to give Kelly Bryant a chance to play one more season somewhere else.

The real ****-move would have been for Dabo to wait until Bryant could no longer red shirt and then announce Lawrence as the starter. He did it like this on purpose to give Kelly Bryant a chance to play one more season somewhere else.
He's played in 4 games this season. One more snap and his college career would have been done. The only thing classless here was Bryant claiming he didn't get a fair opportunity.

Easy to complete 66% of your passes when you are throwing short passes. Bryant isn't a good passer especially downfield and thats why they went with lawrence. He threw only 13 tds last year and had 8 picks.

THIS. Bryant is a game manager. He will not put the team on this back and win games. Lawrence on the other hand is a difference maker. As long as he stays healthy and continues to progress, he's going to be a **** good one.

Tough call to make, but Dabo made the right call. With Bryant, they win the Coastal. With Lawrence, they've got a legitimate chance at a rematch with Bama.

Advertisement
I know Bryant is better than Malware but the situations are similar. Richt knows what Rosier can and cannot do. Rosier is not going to improve. Richt is not going to call plays he has no confidence in. Hopefully he can open up the playbook, as long as he's willing to accept some mistakes from Perry. Rosier is at least an experienced backup should Perry implode against better competition than FIU, or if Perry is injured.

Clemson is a Top 5, CFP playoff-calibar program with either Bryant or Lawrence at QB. The Tigers' remaining schedule is a joke. Maybe South Carolina gives them a game. Lawrence will have nearly a season's experience going into the ACCCG, probably against The U, and potentially the CFP. Dabo's biggest gamble is if Lawrence is injured.

I dont think that Dabo named Lawrence the starter this week with the 4 game redshirt rule in mind. If Dabo thought Bryant would announce his transfer, he probably would have waited till next week to do this.

THIS. Bryant is a game manager. He will not put the team on this back and win games. Lawrence on the other hand is a difference maker. As long as he stays healthy and continues to progress, he's going to be a **** good one.

Tough call to make, but Dabo made the right call. With Bryant, they win the Coastal. With Lawrence, they've got a legitimate chance at a rematch with Bama.
Did you watch the TExas A&M game?

Advertisement
There’s some pretty bad QBs out there. I think not only could he start somewhere, he could start P5.

Think about this: Speight, who was worse for MI than Malik, got a shot as a starter after transferring ...
SPeight is what 6'6? Rosier is 5'11 on a good day, not a lot of teams want 5'11 qbs who cant throw outside the pocket

To all the folks knocking Bryant, and suggesting he wasn't a key cog to Clemson winning last year ... Y'all, clearly, were not on the CFP committee last year.

Because, according to the committee, the only reason Clemson wasn't undefeated was because Bryant was hurt in the Syracuse game.

That doesn't sound like a guy who was inconsequential to the team's success, IMO.

To all the folks knocking Bryant, and suggesting he wasn't a key cog to Clemson winning last year ... Y'all, clearly, were not on the CFP committee last year.

Because, according to the committee, the only reason Clemson wasn't undefeated was because Bryant was hurt in the Syracuse game.

That doesn't sound like a guy who was inconsequential to the team's success, IMO.

He also threw for 124 yards with 2 picks against Bama when it counted most.

Did you watch the TExas A&M game?

I'm not saying he's not good. My 'game-manager' comment was incorrect. He's a decent passer and a good runner. ****, he torched us last year. &hit, I wish we had him!

That said, have you seen Lawrence throw the pill? Kid is the goods, bro. He opens up their offense - a lot. It's a gamble, but it's hard to justify leaving Lawrence on the bench.

Now I hope Dabo is completely wrong. As in &hit the bed horribly wrong. I hope Lawrence has the Freshman jitters the rest of the season and we pound his ***.

Advertisement
Back