Keith Heckendorf....1st OC Rumor to Surface..

Struggles in the red zone and on third down can be a micro, individual season problem. For all we know Arkansas State had the worst OL in the country, a horrible QB, and the OC worked a miracle just to get them to the third down conversion rate posted above.

What I care about is offensive philosophy and what does he do on a down to down basis to implement that concept. Because that’s going to take care of micro, individual season problems over the long haul.

Well we DO KNOW that THEY did NOT have the worst OL in the country since we owned that distinguished honor. I do agree with your post though.

Advertisement
Yes and plays fast. Pace and space , everything we’ve wanted.
giphy.gif

Bro, I would take the offense I saw Art Briles run at Baylor 1000% over the garbage I saw this year from Enos. What people also miss is some OCs have a feel for the game (Mullen) and others have none (Enos). That is an intangible that is more playcalling than scheme

So true , this gets lost. People get caught up in schemes and plays but feel for the game , in game adjustments and teaching said scheme is the key.

Making it very easy to run and understand.

Honestly I think that’s what Brady has done so well, I watched some of his route concepts today and it wasn’t anything mind blowing. He just put burrow in space and simplified the game , then let his talent take over.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So true , this gets lost. People get caught up in schemes and plays but feel for the fame , in game adjustments and teaching said scheme is the key.

Making it very easy to run and understand.

Honestly I think that’s what Brady has done so well, I watched some of his route concepts today and isn’t wasn’t nothing mind blowing. He just put burrow in space and simplified the game , then let his talent take over.
Agreed. And he isn’t afraid to make contested throws - trusting the receiver.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bro, I would take the offense I saw Art Briles run at Baylor 1000% over the garbage I saw this year from Enos. What people also miss is some OCs have a feel for the game (Mullen) and others have none (Enos). That is an intangible that is more playcalling than scheme

I get that and i would as well.

I'm just saying that something was created and then others improved upon it. If the old Briles system was so good on its own, Baby Briles would have lit up the scoreboard at FSU. Things are new and shiny, then people copy, then people come up with ways to stop it or at least slow it down. It's a boom or bust type system. When things are going well you can put up serious points. When things go poorly, you can have multiple 3-and-out situation taking 35-45 seconds off the clock and your winded D back on the field. It's very QB/WR based like Wazzu but more verticals and less dink and dunk.

It has some real nice concepts but it's limited overall compared to newer spread types like what LSU is running, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson, UCF, Memphis, etc.

I don't think the point is that he will be the guy. I think the point is that Miami realizes we need a guy who runs a scheme that puts points on the board and he seems to do that. I don't think this is the only guy Manny is looking at. But if he is looking at guys like this then he is making the right move in doing so - an up and coming OC that realizes spacing and a spread offense is the key to offensive success.

Advertisement
Back