Keith Heckendorf....1st OC Rumor to Surface..

Advertisement
Because they didn't plan to. Silverfield was named head coach like 2 weeks ago

Seems like a poor plan. You got Silverfield excited about the possibility and players calling for him to be HC, only for another staff member to take over after? Those are the types of decisions that cause conflict amongst staff/friends (if they are).

Jesu Christo at having to go to Arky State to get a guy. This isn't Manny potentially hiring some up and comer.This is Manny potentially again showing us the result of hiring a head coach with no network of legit contacts and now also having been exposed as a poor man's bullsh!t artist in his obviously limited communication and sales skills.

It's all really adding up to as why this guy was/is always a mediocre recruiter.

Not comparing Diaz to Gundy but Gundy been coaching for like 20+ years, and is a well regarded offensive mind. He got a guy from Princeton to be his OC.

Where the guy comes from is not necessarily that important or reaching out to little known guys not indicative of how many names on your contact list.

Just find a competent guy that knows what **** he is doing.

I know one thing our passing attack will be thru the roof and our running backs would eat too with the added space

If he hire heckenfag it’s over. Dude notoriously hates to recruit

Looks like he struck out on every big name QB he recruited in 2014 and signed Nathan Elliott (3*, beat out Ark St, Army and Navy) and 3* Anthony Ratliff-Williams (who is a great WR) in the 2015 class.
In 2016, he signed Chazz Surratt, another 3* kid who now plays LB, and 3* Logan Byrd (funny, he beat out Enos at Arkansas, Charlotte, Colorado St and Duke)
In 2017, UNC signed 2 QBs that i can't find any rankings or information on, Luke Hoggard and and Jack Dinges.
In 2018, it finally looked like a decent haul in 4* Jace Ruder and 3* Cade Fortin. Unfortunately neither kid grabbed the job and ran with it.
In 2019, Heckendorf went to Arkansas State and UNC signed Sam Howell (recruited by Brewster and the D-Coordinator Tommy Thigpen).

Advertisement
Seems like a poor plan. You got Silverfield excited about the possibility and players calling for him to be HC, only for another staff member to take over after? Those are the types of decisions that cause conflict amongst staff/friends (if they are).
You're not following. Siverfield was named interim head coach. Then the interim tag was lifted like 2 weeks ago and he is the full time head coach. Johns was never named anything except by the poster I corrected.

Looks like he struck out on every big name QB he recruited in 2014 and signed Nathan Elliott (3*, beat out Ark St, Army and Navy) and 3* Anthony Ratliff-Williams (who is a great WR) in the 2015 class.
In 2016, he signed Chazz Surratt, another 3* kid who now plays LB, and 3* Logan Byrd (funny, he beat out Enos at Arkansas, Charlotte, Colorado St and Duke)
In 2017, UNC signed 2 QBs that i can't find any rankings or information on, Luke Hoggard and and Jack Dinges.
In 2018, it finally looked like a decent haul in 4* Jace Ruder and 3* Cade Fortin. Unfortunately neither kid grabbed the job and ran with it.
In 2019, Heckendorf went to Arkansas State and UNC signed Sam Howell (recruited by Brewster and the D-Coordinator Tommy Thigpen).
Certainly concerning as Elliot and Suratt rotated at QB in 17 and 18 and were pathetic

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not comparing Diaz to Gundy but Gundy been coaching for like 20+ years, and is a well regarded offensive mind. He got a guy from Princeton to be his OC.

Where the guy comes from is not necessarily that important or reaching out to little known guys not indicative of how many names on your contact list.

Just find a competent guy that knows what **** he is doing.

The difference is that I think Gundy is competent and has the ability to go that route based on his ability as a coaching talent evaluator and his own understanding of offensive schemes.

Manny has proven himself to be nothing but incompetent as a talent evaluator. So when you go the route of searching through lower level football for a solution to the largest on-field issue with this team then you're increasing Manny's difficulty level tenfold, imo.

As far as contacts, what name in any of his hires so far has shown a breadth of legit power 5 coaches that he has relationship with?

Advertisement
Brady wasnt an OC in the NFL and they took a huge chance on him but their gamble paid off
Wasnt even a position coach. Wed kill Manny if he hired an analyst from the NFL to be an integral part of the offense.

He also very quietly underperformed in recruiting. Yes, he got a couple 4 stars, but he lost the big fish/top targets at the last moment, which is indicative of recruiting inexperience.

Point is, there is no perfect hire. Everyone will have faults.

Wasnt even a position coach. Wed kill Manny if he hired an analyst from the NFL to be an integral part of the offense.

He also very quietly underperformed in recruiting. Yes, he got a couple 4 stars, but he lost the big fish/top targets at the last moment, which is indicative of recruiting inexperience.

Point is, there is no perfect hire. Everyone will have faults.

There is no hire manny will make that this board will not kill him on.

The difference is that I think Gundy is competent and has the ability to go that route based on his ability as a coaching talent evaluator and his own understanding of offensive schemes.

Manny has proven himself to be nothing but incompetent as a talent evaluator. So when you go the route of searching through lower level football for a solution to the largest on-field issue with this team then you're increasing Manny's difficulty level tenfold, imo.

As far as contacts, what name in any of his hires so far has shown a breadth of legit power 5 coaches that he has relationship with?

Well if that is what you meant by original argument that you think Diaz is incompetent that is a different case. You said he's reaching out to Arky State as evidence of incompetence or lack of relationships. I think on surface that is faulty logic. I brought up Gundy as an example that reaching out to lower tiered schools or coaches is not evidence of incompetence.

You might be able to point to other evidence of Diaz's incompetence but your particular example was not a valid one in my opinion.

There is no hire manny will make that this board will not kill him on.

Theres a couple hires out there that this board would like but the ones complaining are the trolls of the board who will make it seem like its a bad hire

Advertisement
Back