Kaaya

This is the same **** that happened during the Shannon era, the coaching is miserable and people get tired if *****ing about the coaching so they start attacking the players. Kaaya didn't forget how to qb he's just not being put in position to succeed. We have no identity on offense, I'm never sure what coley is thinking calling plays.

Advertisement
He moves great in the pocket. Only so much you can do with such conservative play calls. He looks good, you guys are crazy critical.

Coley didn't call conservative plays... This is Coleys offense. What we saw the past 2 weeks is what we will see all year. We now run the spread and TEs will never be a factor. You can't say we are conservaative while playing GAU and we dial up Flea flickers and such.

One flea flicker last wk and tn. Other than that the call s are very conservative. Sucks we've gone spread

This is what a bunch of people have been crying for around here. Spread offense is ****ing lame. With that said, it does lead to more "exciting" offense.

correction. coley's spread offense if ****ing lame. watch other teams that actually utilize their athletes. even teams with less athletic guys at the receiver position

I dislike the spread as a whole. It does lead to big plays which make the game more exciting, but really it leads to system play with a lot of plug and play players who often are just great athletes more than great football players. I feel like the players in many versions of the spread (not all) look kinda soft at times.

Last edited:
He moves great in the pocket. Only so much you can do with such conservative play calls. He looks good, you guys are crazy critical.

Coley didn't call conservative plays... This is Coleys offense. What we saw the past 2 weeks is what we will see all year. We now run the spread and TEs will never be a factor. You can't say we are conservaative while playing GAU and we dial up Flea flickers and such.

One flea flicker last wk and tn. Other than that the call s are very conservative. Sucks we've gone spread

This is what a bunch of people have been crying for around here. Spread offense is ******* lame. With that said, it does lead to more "exciting" offense.

The spread is not lame, and it has nothing to do with our issues. Baylor's spread isn't lame. USC's spread isn't lame. Oregon's spread isn't lame. COLEY CAN'T COACH. That's the problem.

Matter of fact, the spread has actually HELPED us run the ball so far this season. With the way our OL is playing we would no doubt have issue trying to run the ball if we lined up in 21 personnel (under center).

I never said the spread was our issue and that you can't win with it. All I said is that I'm not a fan of it. I completely agree Coley is the issue with our offense and I've been saying that since year 1 when everyone tried to place all the blame on Morris.

I completely understand the spread is a viable option and wins games for many coaches which is why it is so widely used. I understand there are fundamentals and proper gameplanning involved. Please don't twist or misunderstand what I'm saying. I know you love the spread and that's great, but it's not my preference and I understand it's not the problem with our team.

With that said, you named a bunch of spread teams who have not won a title running the spread. Sure they are getting wins, but with exception to Urban Meyer, most have not been able to take it all the way to a title win.

Last edited:
I don't think you guys quite get it.

If you are Nebraska, you look at our first two games and see a run oriented team that likes to throw short passes.

Now what happens when we play Nebraska and use more than 10 offensive plays?

What happens when we line up two tight ends, play action fake and send one crossing, and the other out and up the seam?

Defenses look for tendencies. They study film to discover tendencies. Right now our offense has shown only 1 card. That we like to run the ball.

Say what you want about our conservative playcalling in the first two games, and not using the tight ends. It's all true. I think we will see a much differently called game come next Saturday, with extensive play action fakes and many completions to tight ends running free up the middle and elaborate wr route trees.

Keep telling yourself this, my man.

This is what a bunch of people have been crying for around here. Spread offense is ******* lame. With that said, it does lead to more "exciting" offense.

The spread is not lame, and it has nothing to do with our issues. Baylor's spread isn't lame. USC's spread isn't lame. Oregon's spread isn't lame. COLEY CAN'T COACH. That's the problem.

Matter of fact, the spread has actually HELPED us run the ball so far this season. With the way our OL is playing we would no doubt have issue trying to run the ball if we lined up in 21 personnel (under center).

I never said the spread was our issue and that you can't win with it. All I said is that I'm not a fan of it. I completely agree Coley is the issue with our offense and I've been saying that since year 1 when everyone tried to place all the blame on Morris.

I completely understand the spread is a viable option and wins games for many coaches which is why it is so widely used. I understand there are fundamentals and proper gameplanning involved. Please don't twist or misunderstand what I'm saying. I know you love the spread and that's great, but it's not my preference and I understand it's not the problem with our team.

So then why is it lame?

Advertisement
Matter of fact, the spread is the only reason we've had any offensive success what-so-ever.

There is no way this O-line can establish dominance and run the ball if we lined up in 21 personnel. (with TE's and FB's) Defenses would simply load the box and this O-line does not have the ability to run into that. The spread has caused defense to give us 5 and 6 man defensive fronts (boxes) which has given our RB's more room to run. If we line up in the Pro Style then we'd get 8 and 9 man boxes and we don't have the explosiveness at the WR and TE position to stretch that out.

Yearby doesn't have a monster game last night if we're not in the spread. We went 4 wide and FAU has no choice but to put a LB on him in coverage. All we did was run our WR's deep to take away the CB's and Safeties which isolated Yearby against a LB. Easy money.

This is what a bunch of people have been crying for around here. Spread offense is ****ing lame. With that said, it does lead to more "exciting" offense.

With that said, you named a bunch of spread teams who have not won a title running the spread. Sure they are getting wins, but with exception to Urban Meyer, most have not been able to take it all the way to a title win.

Who cares if its a gimmick plug and play thing, it brings wins thats all that matters, thats how you win now a days is playing spread, and OSU won a national title with a spread option, oregon was there with the spread, TCU, baylor, most of the top ten with the spread, so yea it works

No offense works without the right principles and coaching points. Regardless of what you run, it has to be coached right. Coley can't organize a good Pro Style or a good Spread. The principles aren't there.

Who cares if its a gimmick plug and play thing, it brings wins thats all that matters, thats how you win now a days is playing spread, and OSU won a national title with a spread option, oregon was there with the spread, TCU, baylor, most of the top ten with the spread, so yea it works

Did you read my post at all? I understand coaches are winning with it. There are coaches winning without it too. Let's look at the recent champs. FSU- pro style. Alabama(3 titles) - pro style. Auburn - Spread. Ohio St - Spread.

Many spread teams try to take advantage of the mismatches and athleticism with an uptempo offense. The down side is they tend to wear out their defenses. It's the biggest problem the Big 12 had when the SEC had their championship runs. Their offenses would score quick and their defenses would get wore out (which so many just said it was because the defenses sucked but ignore how much time those defenses spent on the field).

Spread will win you games, but oftentimes it seems like they struggle when they run into a good physical team (why I feel they are soft). The exception is when the spread team also is physical, such as any good Urban Meyer team which is he wins championships with it and others generally don't.

Just like I told Macho, yes those teams are winning games and that's great, but it's not the only way to win as you are suggesting. There are plenty of pro style teams that win as well.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind elements of a spread in an offense. I see the benefits, but I also believe you don't have to be exclusively a spread team. I feel that a pro style team with spread elements or the ability to go into a spread is best. I don't want to be Florida where all our guys don't do **** in the pros. I tend to to see the pro style guys with more success in the pros since that's primarily what is run in the pros.

Advertisement
No offense works without the right principles and coaching points. Regardless of what you run, it has to be coached right. Coley can't organize a good Pro Style or a good Spread. The principles aren't there.

I agree and don't wholly disagree with your previous post about it working for us right now. As I just replied to cane since berth, I don't completely hate the spread element. I just dislike primarily being a spread offense. I'd always take a pro style over a spread, but I think the ability to implement spread elements are important for when you need them.

We had over 500 yards of offense and 44 points. What is everyone complaining about? I only have two complaints about the O. First is the lack of execution on third down. If we had been even average on third down we end up with 60+ points. Second is what appears to be a very bad offensive line. I am afraid that weakness will be increasingly exposed as the season continues.

All the other *****ing is a bunch of bull****.

The defense is another story... We've got some serious problems there.

I agree and don't wholly disagree with your previous post about it working for us right now. As I just replied to cane since berth, I don't completely hate the spread element. I just dislike primarily being a spread offense. I'd always take a pro style over a spread, but I think the ability to implement spread elements are important for when you need them.

You still haven't given a reason as to why, though.

I can tell you a bunch of reasons why I prefer the spread. And that's coming from a DC.

We had over 500 yards of offense and 44 points. What is everyone complaining about? I only have two complaints about the O. First is the lack of execution on third down. If we had been even average on third down we end up with 60+ points. Second is what appears to be a very bad offensive line. I am afraid that weakness will be increasingly exposed as the season continues.

Everyone is *****ing because for those that really watched the game, they saw that we struggled through 3 quarters both offensively and defensively against a team we should have had backups in by halftime. Lets not forget that this lesser team was down to their backup QB (taking his first career snaps) and RB. If they don't fumble 3 times on a short field for us, we might not have been talking about a win at the end of the day.

Advertisement

Bro, those yards game on big plays. Other than those big plays we failed to sustain a consistent offensive flow. We routinely found ourselves in 3rd down situations.

Other than throwing the ball to Yearby out of the backfield can you tell me anything we did well?

Everyone is *****ing because for those that really watched the game, they saw that we struggled through 3 quarters both offensively and defensively against a team we should have had backups in by halftime. Lets not forget that this lesser team was down to their backup QB (taking his first career snaps) and RB. If they don't fumble 3 times on a short field for us, we might not have been talking about a win at the end of the day.
Our defense caused all those turnovers. So what happened is not because of luck. So many missed tackles and Crawford killed the defense. Thank god for carter and Jenkins. Secondary except Crawford continues to be the defense strongest points.

I can tell you a bunch of reasons why I prefer the spread. And that's coming from a DC.

I said it earlier, they tend to look soft and get smacked in the mouth by more physical teams and generally due to running at a high tempo wear out their own defense. Urban Meyer teams are an exception here. It gets exciting because you find yourself in shootouts, but after awhile it gets to the perception (just like the Big 12 and Pac 12) that you are just playing inferior defenses which end up hurting you in the long run.

This is not an X and O thing. I'm not trying to pretend to know every in and out. I understand that it is a viable option and if run correctly (just like any offense) can be successful. I just personally don't like it for the reasons above and don't believe it would help us in the long run to primarily be a spread team. I ultimately think it would work against our selling point of pro canes as they would not adjust as easily to pro systems. Again not saying we couldn't still put kids in the pros or that it wouldn't work here, but it's just my opinion.

Advertisement

Our defense caused all those turnovers. So what happened is not because of luck. So many missed tackles and Crawford killed the defense. Thank god for carter and Jenkins. Secondary except Crawford continues to be the defense strongest points.

That's the point!!!!!!! Miami at our lowest point should not need turnovers with good field postion from FAU to win the game. This game should have been in hand long before that.

That's the point!!!!!!! Miami at our lowest point should not need turnovers with good field postion from FAU to win the game. This game should have been in hand long before that.
Turnovers change games. Defenses that cause turnovers are great defenses. Not saying we are but give them the credit for the win. They won us that game. Thats my point

Turnovers change games. Defenses that cause turnovers are great defenses. Not saying we are but give them the credit for the win. They won us that game. Thats my point

Average defenses don't give up 220+ yards rushing against FAU.

I said it earlier, they tend to look soft and get smacked in the mouth by more physical teams and generally due to running at a high tempo wear out their own defense. Urban Meyer teams are an exception here. It gets exciting because you find yourself in shootouts, but after awhile it gets to the perception (just like the Big 12 and Pac 12) that you are just playing inferior defenses which end up hurting you in the long run.

This is not an X and O thing. I'm not trying to pretend to know every in and out. I understand that it is a viable option and if run correctly (just like any offense) can be successful. I just personally don't like it for the reasons above and don't believe it would help us in the long run to primarily be a spread team. I ultimately think it would work against our selling point of pro canes as they would not adjust as easily to pro systems. Again not saying we couldn't still put kids in the pros or that it wouldn't work here, but it's just my opinion.

Ok, a few things about this...

1. Why would a scheme cause a team to be soft? What you're more than likely seeing is a difference in athletes. The only times where I' recall seeing the spread look soft is when they were playing against LSU and Auburn a few years ago, which at the time were loaded on defense. An Oregon offense is likely gonna look soft against an LSU, Auburn or Florida defense that's loaded with guys from the Southeast. It has nothing to do with scheme. Meyer's spread offenses never looked soft. Being soft is about personnel not scheme. You can run the same running plays out of the spread that you can out of the pro-style.

2. You don't have to run high tempo with the spread. They don't go hand and hand wither each other. Whipple ran a high tempo Pro Style. Right now Miami is running a slow tempo spread. Tempo and personnel have nothing to do with each other. FAU's high tempo spread caused all kinds of problems for our defense last night. Our guys couldn't get lined-up, they were tired, they couldn't get the defensive calls in time. The only defense that FAU's offense wore out was ours. (not their's)

3.Urban Meyer teams are the exception because of the athletes he recruits. Florida and Ohio State had studs on both sides of the ball during his tenure. (matter of fact, they were mostly on defense, as Meyer's offenses tend to make inferior offensive talent look better) Meyer has always had access to physical kids and elite defensive players.

The spread allows inferior players to succeed via match-ups. It allows less-talented QB's to succeed. It helps less-physical O-lines establish a running attack. A lot easier to run the ball when the defense only has 5 or 6 defenders in the box. A lot of easier for a QB to read what coverage the defense is in when they're all spread out.

Show me a Pro Style team that succeeds without superior talent. Alabama can run the Pro Style cause they always have elite talent at OL and RB. This causes defenses to stack the box and run Cover-3 (or Cover-1) which leaves CB's one-on-one with WR's like Amari Cooper.

You're not giving me a SCHEMATIC REASON as to why you prefer one over the other.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back