Kaaya released by Panthers

I don't think Kaaya is "un-athletic" or that his inability to run was the source of his failure. He just seemed to have no balance, like he suffered from vertigo or something. If an offensive lineman merely bumped into him, he would topple over. He didn't , for the most part, look shell-shocked in the pocket, he was just a weeble - wobble who would tip sideways upon contact.

He is incredibly unathletic. Balance is a big component of athleticism. So is quickness and speed. He lacked all of those things about as badly as any P5 QB could.

He got by on his technique and arm and smarts. He was a pretty accurate thrower with a good arm who usually knew where to go with the ball. But his athleticism is off the charts bad.

This is pretty accurate. I can't really recall another QB that had an above average arm and above average football intelligence that was seemingly sooooo hampered by glaring weaknesses in general mobility and the ability to feel pressure and/or absorb ANY contact in the pocket. Like the later essentially negated the former and the arm and IQ are what most QBs (and coaches) would kill for first.

Advertisement
I wonder if Ken Dorsey was like, "I can't work with this!"

I wonder if Ken Dorsey was like, "I can't work with this!"

He was probably like:

"There's a lack of mobility (points at himself) and then there's NO mobility (points at Kaaya falling over on a nearby practice field due to a 5mph breeze). Thanks for doing me a solid and giving a Cane a shot. You can cut him now, Coach Rivera."

EVERYBODY knew that Kaaya needed another year of development. I'm not sure who talked him into the draft or maybe he was just tired of college. Scared maybe of injury I'm not sure.

After being cut twice before the halfway point of the NFL season is bad news for his future in the pros. I liked the kid especially after watching him pick up his tooth and take it to the sideline.

As with any Cane, I hope he is successful in anything that he chooses to do in the future.

I want to feel bad for the kid, but I don't.

He apparently had plenty of people suggesting he go back to school, but he was stubborn.

That whole Brad top 5 pick talk before his junior year got to his head and he believed his own hype.

Wishing him luck nonetheless

Lmao what hype?? Oh the delusional Canesinsight.com hype smh I guess he was a member on this site or something bc there was never any real hype except for what some cane fans believed smh

They were plenty of mock drafts and analysts that had Brad in the top 5 but carry on

no that never happened

Last edited:
Advertisement
You guys are assuming we would have been in a position where we needed a last second td against FSU and GT had Kayaa been our qb. But that's not a forgone conclusion, we could have been up a couple tds with him, who knows.

You mean like last year?

I am somewhere in the middle on BK. He definitely has his limitations, BUT, Richt did not do a good job playcalling last year, especially during the 4 game losing streak, and the OL was very porous as well, so its not so easy to generalize.

We would have lost FSU and GT with Kaaya... He couldn't beat them with basically the same team we have this year... And he completely wiffed on a ton of throws especially at the end of the FSU game 2 years ago...

Advertisement
We would have lost FSU and GT with Kaaya... He couldn't beat them with basically the same team we have this year... And he completely wiffed on a ton of throws especially at the end of the FSU game 2 years ago...

But other teams may not be as good this year . . .

Good arm (when he has time)
Good decision making (when he has time)
Good mechanics (when he has time)

If he didn't have time (+4 seconds), he can't get it done.

Think Kyle Wright with a weaker arm and one less OC excuse.

Good player, but I don't think he could've even beat N'Kosi in the depth chart, other than experience and knowing the playbook.

Advertisement
Brad would feel pressure and panic and curl up into the fetal position. Like the guy, did his best for us, but not even close to what Rozier brings. Rozier is a breath of fresh air

You guys are assuming we would have been in a position where we needed a last second td against FSU and GT had Kayaa been our qb. But that's not a forgone conclusion, we could have been up a couple tds with him, who knows.

No. We're assuming Kaaya would have been the same guy we saw for 3 years--pretty good stats but no ability to get it done in crunch time. He looked the same last year as he did the previous year under Coley.

On top of that, his insanely bad athleticism limited the offense incredibly.

The other day you responded to my post about Walton's season ending injury happening because Richt played him injured and said that I was making an assumption that couldn't be proved. Now you're doing that very same thing right here by stating unequivocally that we'd be 3-2.

If you want to talk about a most likely outcome based on Kayaa's history it would be a loss to FSU and beating GT by more than one score (not needing a last minute td drive).

Advertisement
I am somewhere in the middle on BK. He definitely has his limitations, BUT, Richt did not do a good job playcalling last year, especially during the 4 game losing streak, and the OL was very porous as well, so its not so easy to generalize.

So the playcaling is to blame for Kaaya throwing that horrific pass against FSU last year when we were driving to put away FSU?

No. We're assuming Kaaya would have been the same guy we saw for 3 years--pretty good stats but no ability to get it done in crunch time. He looked the same last year as he did the previous year under Coley.

On top of that, his insanely bad athleticism limited the offense incredibly.

The other day you responded to my post about Walton's season ending injury happening because Richt played him injured and said that I was making an assumption that couldn't be proved. Now you're doing that very same thing right here by stating unequivocally that we'd be 3-2.

If you want to talk about a most likely outcome based on Kayaa's history it would be a loss to FSU and beating GT by more than one score (not needing a last minute td drive).

It's clearly my opinion on what our record could be. Of course, it could be off. There's no way of proving or disproving it. I shouldn't need to explain that. Your opinion on Walton's injury being Rick's fault isn't any less goofy because my opinion on Kaaya isn't scientifically verifiable.

I'm not opining on Kaaya's specific past success against teams and trying to correlate that to this year. My opinion on Kaaya is based on the opponents we faced this year and how they relate to his specific abilities/deficiencies. We beat GT last year by 2 defensive TDs. Kaaya played pretty sporadically and poorly in that game. We didn't score any defensive TDs this year, and GT is a better team this year.

He was an OK QB, who almost never came through in the clutch. That's his legacy. I didn't make it for him. I supported the **** out of him while he was here. I'm glad we have a new QB this year.

So the playcaling is to blame for Kaaya throwing that horrific pass against FSU last year when we were driving to put away FSU?

Read my post again, all I am saying is that the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Advertisement
Back