Kaaya Gruden Camp Full

djemkay

Recruit
[video=youtube;a-MZwwjHzyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MZwwjHzyw[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Lots of good insights there. Not only on Kaaya, but on our offense. For those who want a breakdown on the RPO bubble player, please watch this video. Also, if anyone from the team is reading, please change the code names for the no huddle/RPO, lol.

Best breakdown of the video:

How the same play called against a GT athlete is totally different against an FSU athlete. And, therein lies our problem last year.

Brad did well. If he goes to the right team he will succeed in the NFL. I see him going to NE.

Also, Gruden pointed out the weakness of the RPO. The question is what can Richt do to mask or mitigate that weakness.

Advertisement
Lots of good insights there. Not only on Kaaya, but on our offense. For those who want a breakdown on the RPO bubble player, please watch this video. Also, if anyone from the team is reading, please change the code names for the no huddle/RPO, lol.

How the same play called against a GT athlete is totally different against an FSU athlete. And, therein lies our problem last year.

Gruden makes a great point about RPO's "ridiculous protection offense" and how you are leaving someone unblocked in the box every time.

I'm not corch enough to really know though. Did you catch that [MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]?

Gruden makes a great point about RPO's "ridiculous protection offense" and how you are leaving someone unblocked in the box every time.

I'm not corch enough to really know though. Did you catch that @LuCane?
I don't agree with Gruden there. If your QB can't slide or make a decision quickly enough to "beat" a bubble defender hanging 3-4 yards behind the LOS, he shouldn't be your QB. It's not like they're optioning off an OLB/DE in a track stance on the LOS. It's also different than running read-option where your QB might get crushed every other play.

At some point, there has to be some risk. Defenses are way too athletic and good now. The RPO is a calculated risk and actually is almost cheating at the college level because the OL aren't as closely watched for penalties downfield. Put it this way, if they're running RPO in the NFL, where franchises have bet the house ($) on QBs, I don't see a problem with running them in college.

In the play against FSU, Matthew Thomas used his athleticism to force Kaaya's hand. If Kaaya shuffles out or the WR turns his head quicker to execute the reception, I bet FSU is deterred from taking that kind of risk again. Kaaya just got crossed up there and was seemingly surprised by Thomas athletically coming downhill on him. It happens.

But, wtf do I know.

Last edited:

Can Richt learn from that and adapt? I guess we'll see.

I don't agree with Gruden there. If your QB can't slide or make a decision quickly enough to "beat" a bubble defender hanging 3-4 yards behind the LOS, he shouldn't be your QB. It's not like they're optioning off an OLB/DE in a track stance on the LOS. It's also different than running read-option where your QB might get crushed every other play.

At some point, there has to be some risk. Defenses are way too athletic and good now. The RPO is a calculated risk and actually is almost cheating at the college level because the OL aren't as closely watched for penalties downfield. Put it this way, if they're running RPO in the NFL, where franchises have bet the house ($) on QBs, I don't see problem with running them in college. In the play against FSU, Matthew Thomas used his athleticism to force Kaaya's hand. If Kaaya shuffles out or the WR turns his head quicker to execute the reception, I bet FSU is deterred from taking that kind of risk again. Kaaya just seemingly got crossed up there and was surprised by Thomas athletically coming downhill on him. It happens.

But, wtf do I know.

I probably should have added [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] to this. he might add valuable insight

Sorry i lulz at the bolded part

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brad did well. If he goes to the right team he will succeed in the NFL. I see him going to NE.

Also, Gruden pointed out the weakness of the RPO. The question is what can Richt do to mask or mitigate that weakness.

It's only a weakness with a QB like Kaaya. I love the kid, but he was a statue. Nkosi has the ability to shake that Mike LB and either pick up yards with his feet, or connect on a broken play seeing as he always keeps his eyes downfield when he scrambles.

Watching some of these kids' reactions to Chuckie leads me to believe that he has many many of us fooled as to his "genius" when it comes to offense and QB's. The guy just sits there in his schtick voice and renames everything everyone of these kids draw up or talk about in the verbiage he probably used in Tampa or Oakland and the kids have to nod along as he rambles. He's not quoting some advanced textbook of universal terms here but just repeating what he's seeing Kaaya or whoever draw up using a different dictionary. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything but there are probably hundreds of other guys that could do exactly what he's doing there- they just lack the look and the faux intense voice.

Watching some of these kids' reactions to Chuckie leads me to believe that he has many many of us fooled as to his "genius" when it comes to offense and QB's. The guy just sits there in his schtick voice and renames everything everyone of these kids draw up or talk about in the verbiage he probably used in Tampa or Oakland and the kids have to nod along as he rambles. He's not quoting some advanced textbook of universal terms here but just repeating what he's seeing Kaaya or whoever draw up using a different dictionary. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything but there are probably hundreds of other guys that could do exactly what he's doing there- they just lack the look and the faux intense voice.

He has a ring. That earns respect my friend.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. Made me like Brad and Gruden a little more. Brad's a great kid with a solid head on his shoulder. I would have loved to see him with a great signature win, but it didn't happen. It would have been great to see how he handled OT vs FSU this past year, but some OL decided to take the PAT off and cost us the opportunity. Best of luck to Brad, I hope he ends up in the right system.

Lu/D$ or anyone else in the know, do we use noodles during QB drills? Judging from the first scimmage, Richt calls them DE's. Someone should post that at the top of the page so the read option crowd doesn't keep confusing things when it comes to the RPO.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

Fair....but so does Brian Billick and that guy seemingly can't even get an interview anywhere.

Brad should have gave the ball to Yearby on that play, correct? Thomas ran himself out of the play of Brad hand the ball to Yearby.

Barry Switzer has a ring, too.

Advertisement

Barry Switzer has a ring, too.

And? He's on a list of very few men with that ring.

Brad should have gave the ball to Yearby on that play, correct? Thomas ran himself out of the play of Brad hand the ball to Yearby.

although there was no real room to the left on that play, at least from the camera angle that we got to see, i agree that a handoff might have been called for, even if it gained 3-4 yards. in addition, that was a penalty on thomas for leading with the helmet or hitting kaaya in the helmet/head, iirc

At some point, there has to be some risk. Defenses are way too athletic and good now. The RPO is a calculated risk and actually is almost cheating at the college level because the OL aren't as closely watched for penalties downfield. Put it this way, if they're running RPO in the NFL, where franchises have bet the house ($) on QBs, I don't see a problem with running them in college.

In the play against FSU, Matthew Thomas used his athleticism to force Kaaya's hand. If Kaaya shuffles out or the WR turns his head quicker to execute the reception, I bet FSU is deterred from taking that kind of risk again. Kaaya just got crossed up there and was seemingly surprised by Thomas athletically coming downhill on him. It happens.

But, wtf do I know.

The story of Kaaya's UM career being rattled in the pocket.

Advertisement
Back