Kaaya Gruden Camp Full

Kaaya imo is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. All he need to do is work on throwing on the run/moving (or w/o completely setting his feet), and moving around in the pocket while staying calm, but from a mental aspect he has what it takes.. the NFL is 60% mental.. Kaaya's problem are simple fixes he will get better with NFL talent and experience. If I was drafting a QB.. I'd take the one who played in 3 different systems (including a traditional pro-style), 2 different HCs and played well with no O-line or Defense to back him 2/3 years, not a turnover machine (Gets sacked a lot but doesn't fumble and doesn't throw many ints).. none of the other QB impress me.

Advertisement
Gruden is a whack job, haha really can't question Kaaya's passion. RPO just didn't suite him very well. Hope he gets the opportunity to get onto a team and sit back and learn and develop for the next couple of years

Gruden not only shytted on Richt's RPOs, he basically shytted on Kaaya's overall experience with UM coaching. Example his criticism of the whole looking to the sidelines for the play tactic. Although there is validity to his critiques, unintentionally this segment didn't come across as a good look for UM.

I think our fans don't appreciate what Kaaya did for us. We all admit that our OL was sub par for most of his career. We really had a talent deficit across the offensive board. I wish he had stayed for his sr. year with the players and staff we have now. You saw in that interview how important intelligence is when defining a top caliber college offence. We are intoxcated over Perry's running and passing through high school defenses. He better have the brains to go with it.

Gruden not only shytted on Richt's RPOs, he basically shytted on Kaaya's overall experience with UM coaching. Example his criticism of the whole looking to the sidelines for the play tactic. Although there is validity to his critiques, unintentionally this segment didn't come across as a good look for UM.
To be fair, he ***** on virtually all RPOs. I'd like to see him sit in a room with Aaron Rodgers and debate its merits. Or, Deshaun Watson's video at Clemson. Gruden's comments make it seem like, if he were still coaching, he'd sit there in max-protect. In reality, his days in Oakland were marked by one of the most slippery QBs I've seen in the pocket: Rich Gannon.

Advertisement
I dont see Brad Kaaya having much of an NFL career, the RPO wasnt a good fit for him, but James Coley Shotgun offense wasnt a good fit for him either. James Coley's offense had it's own flaws as well but the same issues in terms of Kaaya's own tendancy to get rattled in the pocket, take sacks that couldve been avoided, and miss on throws even when he had a clean pocket, stalled both offensive game plans just the same.

Watching some of these kids' reactions to Chuckie leads me to believe that he has many many of us fooled as to his "genius" when it comes to offense and QB's. The guy just sits there in his schtick voice and renames everything everyone of these kids draw up or talk about in the verbiage he probably used in Tampa or Oakland and the kids have to nod along as he rambles. He's not quoting some advanced textbook of universal terms here but just repeating what he's seeing Kaaya or whoever draw up using a different dictionary. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything but there are probably hundreds of other guys that could do exactly what he's doing there- they just lack the look and the faux intense voice.

Yeah, he's a real QB whisper. lol

I think our fans don't appreciate what Kaaya did for us. We all admit that our OL was sub par for most of his career. We really had a talent deficit across the offensive board. I wish he had stayed for his sr. year with the players and staff we have now. You saw in that interview how important intelligence is when defining a top caliber college offence. We are intoxcated over Perry's running and passing through high school defenses. He better have the brains to go with it.

What makes U assume/imply that Perry doesn't? Why wouldn't U assume that he does have the brains?

Perry is a heady, cerebral, high IQ student of the game. He just gets it. "It" is the benefit of doubt.

Advertisement
Watching some of these kids' reactions to Chuckie leads me to believe that he has many many of us fooled as to his "genius" when it comes to offense and QB's. The guy just sits there in his schtick voice and renames everything everyone of these kids draw up or talk about in the verbiage he probably used in Tampa or Oakland and the kids have to nod along as he rambles. He's not quoting some advanced textbook of universal terms here but just repeating what he's seeing Kaaya or whoever draw up using a different dictionary. I'm not saying he's a bad coach or anything but there are probably hundreds of other guys that could do exactly what he's doing there- they just lack the look and the faux intense voice.

As I said in another thread, he's an overrated *** clown, best known for making faces on the sidelines and winning with Dungy's defense

Every offensive guru in college runs the rpo, ***** chuckie. Dude is so overrated , " offensive guru" that fielded some major **** offenses in TB.

Advertisement

What makes U assume/imply that Perry doesn't? Why wouldn't U assume that he does have the brains?

Perry is a heady, cerebral, high IQ student of the game. He just gets it. "It" is the benefit of doubt.

7 pages

Wait, so when I was arguing that RPOs lead to more hits on the qb, and often leave a free defender, wasn't Coach Macho telling me how I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about?

Think he needs to explain to Jon Gruden why he is wrong.

Wait, so when I was arguing that RPOs lead to more hits on the qb, and often leave a free defender, wasn't Coach Macho telling me how I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about?

I think Gruden is the one who needs to explain why RPOs necessarily lead to more QB hits than any other common blitz. What he used as an example there was a Matthew Thomas blitz on the QB. Gruden's own comments indicated he was all over the place. An RPO doesn't typically option off a defensive lineman, which he tossed in there.

An RPO traditionally options off a hanging defender usually off of the LOS. Think of an OLB (just like you saw Matthew Thomas) or a Nickel DB. If the defender crashes in immediately, the QB hit is not caused by the RPO. It's basically a blitz. It's the QB's job in that scenario - where his hanging defender has blitzed the LOS - to take the pass option. If something behind that LB has confused him, then at worst the QB should be handing the ball off for a short loss (based on the option'd defender).

I still don't fully understand what Gruden is saying. He said the same thing last year to Jared Goff. The RPO, again, should not be used as a staple in an offense. It's not a foundational play. It should be sprinkled in so the defense ends up with its hanging defender "stuck" between responsibilities and the QB has the *option* to pass the ball (usually a quick in or a WR screen) or hand the ball off (usually an inside zone play). If that happens, how does that equate to "ridiculous protection offense?"

Advertisement

I think Gruden is the one who needs to explain why RPOs necessarily lead to more QB hits than any other common blitz. What he used as an example there was a Matthew Thomas blitz on the QB. Gruden's own comments indicated he was all over the place. An RPO doesn't typically option off a defensive lineman, which he tossed in there.

An RPO traditionally options off a hanging defender usually off of the LOS. Think of an OLB (just like you saw Matthew Thomas) or a Nickel DB. If the defender crashes in immediately, the QB hit is not caused by the RPO. It's basically a blitz. It's the QB's job in that scenario - where his hanging defender has blitzed the LOS - to take the pass option. If something behind that LB has confused him, then at worst the QB should be handing the ball off for a short loss (based on the option'd defender).

I still don't fully understand what Gruden is saying. He said the same thing last year to Jared Goff. The RPO, again, should not be used as a staple in an offense. It's not a foundational play. It should be sprinkled in so the defense ends up with its hanging defender "stuck" between responsibilities and the QB has the *option* to pass the ball (usually a quick in or a WR screen) or hand the ball off (usually an inside zone play). If that happens, how does that equate to "ridiculous protection offense?"

So Kaaya should have thrown the ball immediately on that play? Was the receiver ready? If not, what were Kaaya's options? Taking a sack rather than making a stupid throw is better. This is the scenario where someone with decent running ability could make something out of nothing.

Also, do you think Richt used the RPO as a foundational play? It sure seemed like it to me.

So Kaaya should have thrown the ball immediately on that play? Was the receiver ready? If not, what were Kaaya's options? Taking a sack rather than making a stupid throw is better. This is the scenario where someone with decent running ability could make something out of nothing.

Also, do you think Richt used the RPO as a foundational play? It sure seemed like it to me.
Kaaya's options were to hand the ball off, throw the ball or evade a sack. It's not a QB running play. If the WR wasn't ready, Kaaya was thrown off by something in the coverage or was just caught by surprise, then, yes, the ability to slide or shuffle would greatly have aided him, as I said earlier in the thread. That's no different than a passer in the pocket who's blitzed off the edge.

And, it was something I've probably written 5000 words on since Kaaya's freshman year. He slightly improved his sophomore year w/r/t showing the ability to climb the pocket against pressure. I think he actually regressed in those situations this past season. Part of that may have been new plays, new reads, or a new offense. But, he ran RPO in Coley's offense, too. I couldn't tell you what happened.

Nonetheless, to be a very good QB against today's blitz-heavy defenses, I think it's critical to have the ability to move. It doesn't mean the QB has to "run."

Love this kid in Zona with Bruce A. He sits a year and develops behind Palmer and take the keys when he retires.

He has a ring. That earns respect my friend.

Fair....but so does Brian Billick and that guy seemingly can't even get an interview anywhere.

It's about personality.

He's a SB winning ex-NFL HC (i.e. he knows his stuff) with a Marmite personality. Billick is as interesting as a post box in comparison.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back