Kaaya Gruden Camp Full

Kaaya imo is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. All he need to do is work on throwing on the run/moving (or w/o completely setting his feet), and moving around in the pocket while staying calm, but from a mental aspect he has what it takes.. the NFL is 60% mental.. Kaaya's problem are simple fixes he will get better with NFL talent and experience. If I was drafting a QB.. I'd take the one who played in 3 different systems (including a traditional pro-style), 2 different HCs and played well with no O-line or Defense to back him 2/3 years, not a turnover machine (Gets sacked a lot but doesn't fumble and doesn't throw many ints).. none of the other QB impress me.

Kaaya missed far too many reads for that type of praise. If you just follow Coley on every play, he's pretty much always open, but barely got a look from Kaaya.

If I'm an NFL GM I'm taking Mahomes and sitting him for a year. He has a special arm, which helps, but he's got brass balls and vision too. Let him get used to the speed and complexity of the NFL and let him loose. Any team that drafts Mahomes then tries to shackle him to their system (i.e. if he sees and open receiver and KNOWS he can make the throw, but it goes against convention, so take the easy completion) is moronic. He's in the Favre / Rodgers / Stafford bracket for me.

Advertisement
Kaaya imo is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. All he need to do is work on throwing on the run/moving (or w/o completely setting his feet), and moving around in the pocket while staying calm, but from a mental aspect he has what it takes.. the NFL is 60% mental.. Kaaya's problem are simple fixes he will get better with NFL talent and experience. If I was drafting a QB.. I'd take the one who played in 3 different systems (including a traditional pro-style), 2 different HCs and played well with no O-line or Defense to back him 2/3 years, not a turnover machine (Gets sacked a lot but doesn't fumble and doesn't throw many ints).. none of the other QB impress me.

Kaaya missed far too many reads for that type of praise. If you just follow Coley on every play, he's pretty much always open, but barely got a look from Kaaya.

If I'm an NFL GM I'm taking Mahomes and sitting him for a year. He has a special arm, which helps, but he's got brass balls and vision too. Let him get used to the speed and complexity of the NFL and let him loose. Any team that drafts Mahomes then tries to shackle him to their system (i.e. if he sees and open receiver and KNOWS he can make the throw, but it goes against convention, so take the easy completion) is moronic. He's in the Favre / Rodgers / Stafford bracket for me.

Good thing you're not a GM

tumblr_ngtcfeA2771u1buplo1_500.gif

RPO THIS!!!

I hope he gets his chance. He went through a lot of bullchit down here with Golden. I appreciate his dedication. He'll represent us well.

More like Johnny Manziel with Cardale Jones' arm.

Advertisement
What happened on that RPO against FSU almost never happens. They clearly prepared for our RPO game. They had Thomas attack downhill into the "back door" rather than move laterally, which is what most LB's do against zone. Also, if you look at the slot WR you'll notice that FSU had their DB playing inside leverage, taking away the RPO slant.

That's a freak play by Thomas and a good game plan by FSU. Most defenses won't/don't/can't play RPO's that way. Gruden is just a stubborn purist who's using one play to shoot holes in the RPO system, like he always does. I'm sure there's other plays during that game where the RPO worked.

This is why it helps to have athletes on defense. Not many LB's can fill the back door, decelerate, accelerate to full speed and blast a QB like that. Thomas basically ruined that play single handily.

Wait, so when I was arguing that RPOs lead to more hits on the qb, and often leave a free defender, wasn't Coach Macho telling me how I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about?

Think he needs to explain to Jon Gruden why he is wrong.

You are wrong and Gruden's an a$$ hat. He's using a freak play by a LB to say that there's no protection in the RPO. How many times you see an ILB do that?

Kaaya basically told him why it didn't work when he said that Thomas "triggered" downhill instead of laterally. Instead of Gruden acknowledging that what Thomas did was an anomaly he's gonna roll with his anti-RPO agenda.

Last edited:
Wait, so when I was arguing that RPOs lead to more hits on the qb, and often leave a free defender, wasn't Coach Macho telling me how I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about?

Think he needs to explain to Jon Gruden why he is wrong.
I think Gruden is the one who needs to explain why RPOs necessarily lead to more QB hits than any other common blitz. What he used as an example there was a Matthew Thomas blitz on the QB. Gruden's own comments indicated he was all over the place. An RPO doesn't typically option off a defensive lineman, which he tossed in there.

An RPO traditionally options off a hanging defender usually off of the LOS. Think of an OLB (just like you saw Matthew Thomas) or a Nickel DB. If the defender crashes in immediately, the QB hit is not caused by the RPO. It's basically a blitz. It's the QB's job in that scenario - where his hanging defender has blitzed the LOS - to take the pass option. If something behind that LB has confused him, then at worst the QB should be handing the ball off for a short loss (based on the option'd defender).

I still don't fully understand what Gruden is saying. He said the same thing last year to Jared Goff. The RPO, again, should not be used as a staple in an offense. It's not a foundational play. It should be sprinkled in so the defense ends up with its hanging defender "stuck" between responsibilities and the QB has the *option* to pass the ball (usually a quick in or a WR screen) or hand the ball off (usually an inside zone play). If that happens, how does that equate to "ridiculous protection offense?"

Thank you.

What happened on that RPO against FSU almost never happens. They clearly prepared for our RPO game. They had Thomas attack downhill into the "back door" rather than move laterally, which is what most LB's do against zone. Also, if you look at the slot WR you'll notice that FSU had their DB playing inside leverage, taking away the RPO slant.

That's a freak play by Thomas and a good game plan by FSU. Most defenses won't/don't/can't play RPO's that way. Gruden is just a stubborn purist who's using one play to shoot holes in the RPO system, like he always does. I'm sure there's other plays during that game where the RPO worked.

This is why it helps to have athletes on defense. Not many LB's can fill the back door, decelerate, accelerate to full speed and blast a QB like that. Thomas basically ruined that play single handily.
I agree with you on this one... The exact same play worked against WVU when we scored before the half. The defender had inside leverage and took away the slant and Berrios went deep and was wide open. Gruden is just entertainment like Skip Bayless. He clowned Cam Newton and Auburn's offense even tho they just came off of a NC.

Advertisement

What's to stop a team doing that on every down?

"The last time I saw him was in that clempson game. That's the last time I ever got to see him 'cause he went right back to Jersey after that. Right back home."

haleighluja.gif

You'd make it easy for the offense then. Lets not forget Matt Thomas was a 5* kid who was a top 20 player in the nation. He's probably a handful of LBs that can make that play. Sometimes the other team has a good plan for that play and the better athlete just happened to win.

Gruden is Al Golden...doing less with more his whole life. He gets way to much credit for Favre's development. If Bill Callahan, who might be the worse coach ever in coaching, wasn't the Raiders HC in the Super Bowl TB won then Gruden probably doesn't have a ring. Guy is a guru in his own mind.

Advertisement
Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Tim Rattay, Bruce Gradkowski, Jeff Garcia (ok), Luke McCown, and Josh Johnson...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

making the correct read. kaaya should have handed that off.

pause it at 13:43

[video=youtube;a-MZwwjHzyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MZwwjHzyw[/video]

"The last time I saw him was in that clempson game. That's the last time I ever got to see him 'cause he went right back to Jersey after that. Right back home."

View attachment 44409

For some reason I wasn't shocked that Golden scuttled off back to Jersey without saying goodbye to the players. Exactly his style, fake ****.

Advertisement

Either a run read, a prepared QB/WR or QB who can slip Thomas.

If the QB reads pass on the same play, and the DB is playing inside leverage to take away the quick in or slant, hit the WR up the seam. Even without that, if Thomas risks coming downhill and misses the QB, you're looking at a big chunk play. Give up a chunk play in a game that can swing your season, and the defense is likely to step away from it.

Well how would they know that we're running that RPO every down?

What if the defense uses that strategy every down but we don't run that specific play/RPO? Then they're out of position.

They (Gruden) happened to pick out one play where FSU was prepared for the RPO and ol' Chucky used it to shoot holes in the concept. A defense can't have their ILB shoot the B-gap and have their DB line-up inside leverage on the slot WR every play. At some point that strategy will leave the defense susceptible to other plays/concepts.

Also, most teams don't have an LB like Thomas who can do things like that. He effectively took away the B-gap and rushed the passer on the same play. Check out his stop/start ability on that play.

love reading ya insight man foreal

love reading ya insight man foreal

High five.jpg

Advertisement
Back