Kaaya Gruden Camp Full

Macho, do you think that maybe there was a "tell" on that play where Thomas hit Kaaya? It almost looked like they knew exactly what was coming. Or did they just roll the dice?

Advertisement
Macho, do you think that maybe there was a "tell" on that play where Thomas hit Kaaya? It almost looked like they knew exactly what was coming. Or did they just roll the dice?

Could've been a call by the DC based on down-and-distance, formation, etc. Information that's collected during film study.

EXAMPLE: Miami likes to run their RPO on 2nd & 6+ out of the 2x2 formation blah blah blah.

Could've also been a default adjustment, something they do against certain formations that Miami gives them.

Could be so many different possibilities.

Could've been a call by the DC based on down-and-distance, formation, etc. Information that's collected during film study.

EXAMPLE: Miami likes to run their RPO on 2nd & 6+ out of the 2x2 formation blah blah blah.

Could've also been a default adjustment, something they do against certain formations that Miami gives them.

My guess is a tell.

I kept waiting for Njoku to be used vertically out of the slot in the FSU game. It didn't come till like a quarter into the UNC game (next game). Sometimes I've wondered if FSU has a really good spy hanging around our facilities or if their coaching staff really adjusts that well. Half-joking, but I watch them against other teams (e.g. Ole Miss) and they get roasted at times.

Against us, they played everything as if we were ultra-predictable (which, again, at that point in the season, I guess we were a bit). We hadn't shown some formations up until that game. They tossed a DB (I think Trey Marshall) with inside leverage on Njoku in the slot and basically forced us into using Njoku as a decoy.

My guess is a tell.

I kept waiting for Njoku to be used vertically out of the slot in the FSU game. It didn't come till like a quarter into the UNC game (next game). Sometimes I've wondered if FSU has a really good spy hanging around our facilities or if their coaching staff really adjusts that well. Half-joking, but I watch them against other teams (e.g. Ole Miss) and they get roasted at times.

Against us, they played everything as if we were ultra-predictable (which, again, at that point in the season, I guess we were a bit). We hadn't shown some formations up until that game. They tossed a DB (I think Trey Marshall) with inside leverage on Njoku in the slot and basically forced us into using Njoku as a decoy.

Yeah, I remember your displeasure with how little Njoku was used in that game.

What happened on that RPO against FSU almost never happens. They clearly prepared for our RPO game. They had Thomas attack downhill into the "back door" rather than move laterally, which is what most LB's do against zone. Also, if you look at the slot WR you'll notice that FSU had their DB playing inside leverage, taking away the RPO slant.

That's a freak play by Thomas and a good game plan by FSU. Most defenses won't/don't/can't play RPO's that way. Gruden is just a stubborn purist who's using one play to shoot holes in the RPO system, like he always does. I'm sure there's other plays during that game where the RPO worked.

This is why it helps to have athletes on defense. Not many LB's can fill the back door, decelerate, accelerate to full speed and blast a QB like that. Thomas basically ruined that play single handily.

What's to stop a team doing that on every down?
Either a run read, a prepared QB/WR or QB who can slip Thomas.

If the QB reads pass on the same play, and the DB is playing inside leverage to take away the quick in or slant, hit the WR up the seam. Even without that, if Thomas risks coming downhill and misses the QB, you're looking at a big chunk play. Give up a chunk play in a game that can swing your season, and the defense is likely to step away from it.

on the play in question, all kaaya had to do was hand the ball off.

Advertisement
What happened on that RPO against FSU almost never happens. They clearly prepared for our RPO game. They had Thomas attack downhill into the "back door" rather than move laterally, which is what most LB's do against zone. Also, if you look at the slot WR you'll notice that FSU had their DB playing inside leverage, taking away the RPO slant.

That's a freak play by Thomas and a good game plan by FSU. Most defenses won't/don't/can't play RPO's that way. Gruden is just a stubborn purist who's using one play to shoot holes in the RPO system, like he always does. I'm sure there's other plays during that game where the RPO worked.

This is why it helps to have athletes on defense. Not many LB's can fill the back door, decelerate, accelerate to full speed and blast a QB like that. Thomas basically ruined that play single handily.

If the QB reads pass on the same play, and the DB is playing inside leverage to take away the quick in or slant, hit the WR up the seam. Even without that, if Thomas risks coming downhill and misses the QB, you're looking at a big chunk play. Give up a chunk play in a game that can swing your season, and the defense is likely to step away from it.

Sure, but I can see why he got crossed up. His read lunged. He thought he had the WR open over Thomas' head, as he was available during other plays in the game (I'd have to look for the example of the same RPO to the other side of field). You can see Kaaya always flinch when he realized he was being both blitzed and the DB was essentially sitting inside.

Brad Kaaya's worse season was under James Coley's offense.... this RPO **** is overblown. Brad Kaaya isnt a consistent QB under any offensive scheme.

Sure, but I can see why he got crossed up. His read lunged. He thought he had the WR open over Thomas' head, as he was available during other plays in the game (I'd have to look for the example of the same RPO to the other side of field). You can see Kaaya always flinch when he realized he was being both blitzed and the DB was essentially sitting inside.

Looked like Kaaya wanted to go outside when he realized the slant was covered but he didn't have enough time.

Advertisement
Back