Justin Fields granted immediate Waiver by NCAA

Advertisement
First, you have the obvious. The coaching change. Along with that comes the fact that tOSU is doing things differently at QB now too. Martell also had to be talked about of transferring before, and may have some ammo related to the things Urban and others may have said to him to get him to stick around that turned out to be lies.

Second, you have the issue with the Urban Meyer scandal. Tate is very close with his sister and can easily build a case that because of his relationship with his sister he has a heightened respect for women and significant disdain for those who abuse women and those who look the other way when women are being abused. As such, he can easily make the case that he is disturbed by the way tOSU handled the situation and can't in good conscience continue to be a student at such an institution, let alone a student-athlete. One might challenge why he didn't transfer sooner, and the answer to that is simple, the scandal broke too close to football season to allow Tate to find another school that would be a good fit for him athletically and academically.
Got it. Could be a good case. Fingers crossed.

I think only the coaching change is a legit argument for the NCAA. Fields had the racism card (which I frankly agree with) that the NCAA won't argue; Tate can't point to an issue like that. I think the sister argument is clever, but might be a stretch. I'm hopeful, but not confident, that he'll get a waiver.

What do you mean? The baseball player was forced out at UGA and ended up at another school in another state. The racist was removed from the school.

Domestic violence and racism are both near 100% wins IMO

All Tate has to say is his former coach beat his wife & he was not comfortable in that environment. Can’t be denied.

Claim someone in his family (that he won't be compelled to name) was the victim of domestic violence. Done deal.

Look, it's unsavory to lie about that stuff but what card Fields played is worse, imo. At least the NCAA has an out with both- racism and domestic violence. As was mentioned though, Fields now opens the door for EVERY minority in the SEC and a lot at other Power 5 schools to try to play that card AND w/o a family member remaining behind at the institution they're claiming they can't exist at.

I think only the coaching change is a legit argument for the NCAA. Fields had the racism card (which I frankly agree with) that the NCAA won't argue; Tate can't point to an issue like that. I think the sister argument is clever, but might be a stretch. I'm hopeful, but not confident, that he'll get a waiver.

The domestic abuse issue is just as big of an issue. You think the NCAA wants to see headlines condemning it for refusing a waiver to a kid who had objections to abuse of women? In this age of #MeToo? I don't think so.

Advertisement
If Fields can get a waiver, Martell should as well. I believe his case could have more credence. Regardless of the two, Martin should get one.

Advertisement
What a joke. There is truly NO need for the NCAA. I really can't find a need for their existence. Schools can conduct there own post seasons. Other than the CFP, they are doing absolutely nothing in college football. Cheating is rampant and they just look the other way because the money is so **** good to them!!!

Good for Fields, but his reason for transferring was extremely weak. I'm African American and I didn't/don't think he was deserving over a racist remark where the perpetrator was removed from the baseball team for his action. If he was the starter at Georgia, he never would have entered the Portal so his claim is complete BS.

I expect Martell to get his clearance as well.

Claim someone in his family (that he won't be compelled to name) was the victim of domestic violence. Done deal.

Look, it's unsavory to lie about that stuff but what card Fields played is worse, imo. At least the NCAA has an out with both- racism and domestic violence. As was mentioned though, Fields now opens the door for EVERY minority in the SEC and a lot at other Power 5 schools to try to play that card AND w/o a family member remaining behind at the institution they're claiming they can't exist at.

Doesnt hurt that the idiot baseball player actually did that crap

Advertisement
All this fields has the race card thing. Is their video audio evidence this actually happened? Or is it all word to mouth
The kid got kicked off the baseball team and had his scholarship revoked. I think that it is pretty clear that it actually happened.

Advertisement
The domestic abuse issue is just as big of an issue. You think the NCAA wants to see headlines condemning it for refusing a waiver to a kid who had objections to abuse of women? In this age of #MeToo? I don't think so.

I agree with that from an optics perspective. NCAA might not be interested in the potential backlash. I just think it's pretty transparent. The staff made it clear Fields was the guy so Martell wanted out. I hope the NCAA is willing to give him a waiver in order to avoid any negative perceptions, even though I don't think concerns about domestic abuse are the real reason Martell put in a transfer request.

I agree with that from an optics perspective. NCAA might not be interested in the potential backlash. I just think it's pretty transparent. The staff made it clear Fields was the guy so Martell wanted out. I hope the NCAA is willing to give him a waiver in order to avoid any negative perceptions, even though I don't think concerns about domestic abuse are the real reason Martell put in a transfer request.

Sure, and Martell's real reason for transferring is identical to Fields' real reason.

Advertisement
Back