June 2nd camp updates

And on Lane...

For what it's worth...

I have kids who know him from the 7-on-7 circuit and they say he loves Miami.

Exact quote was...

"Co ("coach")...Earmon luh da U. I dunno why he don't commit awready. Dats all he talk about."

CJ Worton....

Advertisement
great post dmoney...thanks.....hey do you where can I get a swag hat..?

- This was the best group of quarterbacks I can remember at a Miami camp. As expected, Brad Kaaya was the top guy. He is a legit 6'4, throws a tight spiral and has a clean, consistent release. His accuracy and anticipation stood out. Kaaya also seemed to embrace his role as leader of the class, as he made it a point to talk to guys like Johnnie Dixon. Even Kaaya's mom got involved and spent time with Johnnie Dixon's mom and Ermon Lane's party. Malik Rosier is a Russell Wilson look-a-like, but his playing style reminds me a bit of Robert Marve. Rosier has a live arm, and on some routes he actually showed more zip than Kaaya. I'd say he is about 6'0, definitely not the 6'2 he's listed at. He was inconsistent early but got better as the camp went on. Dwayne Lawson from Tampa (2015) was the tallest quarterback at the camp and threw the ball well. His release is a little funky but it is quick enough. There was a blonde kid wearing #3 who also looked like a potential D-1 kid.

- Johnnie Dixon only participated in a few drills but he was far and away the strongest and most explosive receiver on the field. I'm a Corey Holmes fan but Dixon is no worse than #2 in South Florida. Coach Coley was loudly giggling after some of Dixon's routes. The UM staff was all over him and spent considerable time with him and his mom, who was wearing a UM hat. He seems to have a good relationship with Coach Carroll and also spent some time with Kaaya. His friend Travis Rudolph also had a good day. He doesn't have Dixon's strength and burst, but he is a very quick route runner. Devonte Peete had a tough outing. Didn't run very well and struggled catching the ball. He is every bit of 6'5, though. An under-the-radar kid who made a ton of plays is Antoine Griffin from Cocoa Beach. Not really a UM kid but someone who could be a good player. CJ Worton was there but only participated sparingly.

- Isaiah McKenzie of American Heritage ran a 4.43 and made several impressive plays in coverage. One guy who caught my eye was McKenzie's teammate, Carter Jacobs. He moved very well for an in-the-box safety and had some good battles with Peete.

There were a bunch of kids out there who didn't participate, including Ermon Lane, Travonte Valentine (enormous), Reilly Gibbons and Joseph Yearby. Coach Golden's son was also running around wearing a Swag hat. Stacy Coley should get royalties on that one.

“@KhairiClark: Was suppose to attend the Al Golden Football camp but I overslept”

you really think this kid would oversleep for a nick saban camp?

Nope, and I'm sure some guys on here who think so highly of Clark are saying he's an elite D1 prospect so who cares he doesn't need to go.

No ****ing false, this is more of a sign of his character. Don't bull**** me with he's just a kid type **** it happens, Im a kid who played D1 college lacrosse, I went through the recruiting process, I went through attending coaches camps and recruiting showcases. When your giving your word to coaches and adults you give your word you will be attending there. I could never imagine my father allowing me to commit to a camp and then "over sleeping" it's just ridiculous.

well put, the difference is though the demand at current better programs is the difference of why joker kids can pull this off at a school that went 7-5 with a desperate need for DT. clearly this kid thinks he has the upper hand at miami and that we should roll out the red carpet for him. wouldn't be surprised if al looked in a different direction, not saying he will but wouldn't be surprised as these are the kind of kids that blandy and coker would still pursue and be the inmates that run the prison once they got to campus.

i'd only take issue w/ the comment that Randy would "pursue" anyone. He was of the ilk that only wants guys who already want to be Canes; in other words, randy did not go after recruits that needed persuading (read: recruiting).

So what if a dude named Lane says he doesnt want to participate. will you A say well stay home and do something else or B get him on campus and take in sights? from a fan perspective we think of Miami as the holy graile but big time recruits dont see us the same so take it easy they have people coming left and right trying to tie thier shoe so they can get them on campus BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY so be happy they are on out campus instead of fsu florida or bama

of course the staff will still pursue Lane intensely. but it's disappointing that he isn't participating in Golden's camp, bc that suggests he's more of an uphill battle, which sucks for a stud from one of our historical feeder schools.

So what if a dude named Lane says he doesnt want to participate. will you A say well stay home and do something else or B get him on campus and take in sights? from a fan perspective we think of Miami as the holy graile but big time recruits dont see us the same so take it easy they have people coming left and right trying to tie thier shoe so they can get them on campus BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY so be happy they are on out campus instead of fsu florida or bama

of course the staff will still pursue Lane intensely. but it's disappointing that he isn't participating in Golden's camp, bc that suggests he's more of an uphill battle, which sucks for a stud from one of our historical feeder schools.

What?

Advertisement

the fact that Lane was there is a good sign.

I'm sure that Bama is in the picture but I think we have a great shot with Lane.

Lane, Dixon, Rudolph, Yearby, and...Cook?

mindblown.gif

Since I didn't read anything about it, I'm gonna guess that Michael Johnson didn't get offered.

Fans have been saying The U or Bama for a year now when it comes to Lane, which probably means he won't be signing with either. The more people think they have an elite talent figured out, that's obviously keeping it close to the vest, usually the further off everyone ends up being.

Advertisement

Why is it disappointing? He's the top WR in the state, and possibly the nation. He's got offers from every major program. He's got absolutely NOTHING to prove. The fact that he showed up was good enough. There is no need for him to put on a show for anyone.

The camps are MOSTLY for guys on the bubble. Younger guys looking to get on the coaches radars, mid level guys hoping to impress and snag an offer. And maybe some guys with conditional offers, who want to show the coaches they deserve to be locked in. Or guys who want to put on a show for other kids, fans, media and other coaches. I suspect Kaaya came out to see the school, see some of the other recruits, show that he's the top dog QB in this class, and take leadership of this class. Which he has already been doing.

Most of the top guys with solid committable offers really just needed to show up, chit chat with coaches, etc... but they have nothing to prove at this point.

Why is it disappointing? He's the top WR in the state, and possibly the nation. He's got offers from every major program. He's got absolutely NOTHING to prove. The fact that he showed up was good enough. There is no need for him to put on a show for anyone.

The camps are MOSTLY for guys on the bubble. Younger guys looking to get on the coaches radars, mid level guys hoping to impress and snag an offer. And maybe some guys with conditional offers, who want to show the coaches they deserve to be locked in. Or guys who want to put on a show for other kids, fans, media and other coaches. I suspect Kaaya came out to see the school, see some of the other recruits, show that he's the top dog QB in this class, and take leadership of this class. Which he has already been doing.

Most of the top guys with solid committable offers really just needed to show up, chit chat with coaches, etc... but they have nothing to prove at this point.
Seriously, people should be happy he went, the more time he spends on campus, with coaches, players, and commits, the better

13.jpg

Lebron getting that boat ready!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ERA-9FIFTY-Snapback-Green-Orange-SWAG-Hat-One-Size-Fits-All-/310679073574?pt=US_Hats&hash=item4855ea7326
great post dmoney...thanks.....hey do you where can I get a swag hat..?

- This was the best group of quarterbacks I can remember at a Miami camp. As expected, Brad Kaaya was the top guy. He is a legit 6'4, throws a tight spiral and has a clean, consistent release. His accuracy and anticipation stood out. Kaaya also seemed to embrace his role as leader of the class, as he made it a point to talk to guys like Johnnie Dixon. Even Kaaya's mom got involved and spent time with Johnnie Dixon's mom and Ermon Lane's party. Malik Rosier is a Russell Wilson look-a-like, but his playing style reminds me a bit of Robert Marve. Rosier has a live arm, and on some routes he actually showed more zip than Kaaya. I'd say he is about 6'0, definitely not the 6'2 he's listed at. He was inconsistent early but got better as the camp went on. Dwayne Lawson from Tampa (2015) was the tallest quarterback at the camp and threw the ball well. His release is a little funky but it is quick enough. There was a blonde kid wearing #3 who also looked like a potential D-1 kid.

- Johnnie Dixon only participated in a few drills but he was far and away the strongest and most explosive receiver on the field. I'm a Corey Holmes fan but Dixon is no worse than #2 in South Florida. Coach Coley was loudly giggling after some of Dixon's routes. The UM staff was all over him and spent considerable time with him and his mom, who was wearing a UM hat. He seems to have a good relationship with Coach Carroll and also spent some time with Kaaya. His friend Travis Rudolph also had a good day. He doesn't have Dixon's strength and burst, but he is a very quick route runner. Devonte Peete had a tough outing. Didn't run very well and struggled catching the ball. He is every bit of 6'5, though. An under-the-radar kid who made a ton of plays is Antoine Griffin from Cocoa Beach. Not really a UM kid but someone who could be a good player. CJ Worton was there but only participated sparingly.

- Isaiah McKenzie of American Heritage ran a 4.43 and made several impressive plays in coverage. One guy who caught my eye was McKenzie's teammate, Carter Jacobs. He moved very well for an in-the-box safety and had some good battles with Peete.

There were a bunch of kids out there who didn't participate, including Ermon Lane, Travonte Valentine (enormous), Reilly Gibbons and Joseph Yearby. Coach Golden's son was also running around wearing a Swag hat. Stacy Coley should get royalties on that one.

In terms of them taking care of the field. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how much its been raining the past week. I've been on campus and the intramural fields have been closed for weeks. I wasn't sure why but it was probably for this camp.

Advertisement
He's mad about the length of the camp? Is this real life?
I understand where you're coming from, but it's really not fair to some of these kids, especially QBs. Early June is when many of these recruits hit the camp circuit hard. Asking a guy to throw for 6 hours puts a lot of strain on a guy. It can really wear on a teenage kid that's trying to prove himself for the U and at other campuses. Just my opinion though.

He's mad about the length of the camp? Is this real life?
I understand where you're coming from, but it's really not fair to some of these kids, especially QBs. Early June is when many of these recruits hit the camp circuit hard. Asking a guy to throw for 6 hours puts a lot of strain on a guy. It can really wear on a teenage kid that's trying to prove himself for the U and at other campuses. Just my opinion though.

Who was throwing for 6 hours? From what I can tell by looking at the schedule, they have drills & 1 on 1s from 9:30-11:30 and 1-3. This is a camp designed for player instruction and putting that instruction into practice, not a combine where they're just testing and running a few 1 on 1s in an attempt to get an extra star next to their name. If you look at other football camps, they're going to be just as long, if not longer. Jimbo's has 4 practices and 3 "game" periods across 3 days.

Advertisement
Back