Official JUCO WR Offer - Colbie Young: COMMITS!

I believe it's 3 as well. Had Albany and Maine outta high school. Given that he was a qualifier from high school and qualifies to reclassify ASAP, I gotta believe off the field is all good as well. Also saw someone mentioned PSU, he visited at the end of May before his trip to VTech. He's also got a teammate who's a 6'7 300lb OT, December grad though. Recently offered by FSU, VT, and South Carolina over the last 2 weeks.

My only question is why a guy does JuCo instead of prep school then. I thought that taking a JuCo scholarship requires you to earn the AA degree before you can transfer, which can be a 1.5 to 2 year proposition.

Prep school, I think you only need 1 or 2 semesters before you can bounce.

Advertisement
My only question is why a guy does JuCo instead of prep school then. I thought that taking a JuCo scholarship requires you to earn the AA degree before you can transfer, which can be a 1.5 to 2 year proposition.

JUCOS are for the kids with 100 percent grade casualty, a prep can be a kid reclassifying (adding another year) or a kid that may have fell a bit off on his sat/act scores....the juco kids dont have the core gpas to get into the schools or the correct credidt amount AND the test scores. Hence prep school kids can bounce because most times they only needed a better test score.

Some kids also go juco route to get better offers...there also are less prep schools than jucos.

I remember we use to use Milford Prep.....also VA had Hargrave Military Academy that were choc full of div 1 kids back in the day..i think there was another in VA too that was Hargraves rival..they are still around.

JUCOS are for the kids with 100 percent grade casualty, a prep can be a kid reclassifying (adding another year) or a kid that may have fell a bit off on his sat/act scores....the juco kids dont have the core gpas to get into the schools or the correct credidt amount AND the test scores. Hence prep school kids can bounce because most times they only needed a better test score.

Some kids also go juco route to get better offers...there also are less prep schools than jucos.

I remember we use to use Milford Prep.....also VA had Hargrave Military Academy that were choc full of div 1 kids back in the day..i think there was another in VA too that was Hargraves rival..they are still around.

Agree with all of this, and that's what I thought the deal was, hence my question on the kid going JuCo when some people said it was "NOT" grades. Again, not calling anyone into question, just curious is all.

Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers were JUCO kids with good grades, IIRC.

Advertisement
Josh Allen and Aaron Rodgers were JUCO kids with good grades, IIRC.

OK, fair enough. My question still remains, once they start a football scholarship at JuCo, don't they need to get the AA degree?

That's all, no arguments, simply curiosity.

As long as a player qualifies for a 4 year school before going to a JUCO, they can transfer after their 1st year without an AA. Just a qualifying GPA and SAT/ACT score. I believe Jeremy Shockey transferred after a year at JUCO to UM.

Interesting. So those who fail to qualify would need the AA, they can't just re-take the SAT or something to flip back to a 4-year college. Interesting.

VA has a couple besides Hargrave but you are probably thinking of Fork Union. They are a factory for producing guys to the NFL.

Mike Badgley went to Fuma for his post grad before coming to Miami.

Advertisement

For some reason I remember Vidal Hazelton went to Hargrave. WR that ended up at USC.

Not sure if Shady McCoy also went to Hargrave or if it was Milford Academy.

Advertisement
words

“They’re up there,” Young told The Athletic of the Hurricanes. “I was (kind of) leaning toward Tennessee. It was Tennessee and Arkansas State who want me to play receiver. Tennessee wants me at tight end. Now, with this, Miami just shot up right to the top. If I commit there now, I’d be able to work out with the team. They like my size. They said they loved my film and just need a guy that can come in and compete.”

Josh Pardini, the offensive coordinator at Lackawanna since 2014, has coached several NFL receivers, including Kevin White, Juwan Green and Donald Jones. He said Young comes from the same pedigree.

“He’s just a big dude, man. He could be 250 if he wanted to be. Just an athletic nightmare in terms of trying to match up from a defensive back perspective. Because his catch radius and body control are something I’ve never seen before, and we’ve had three or four guys make it to the NFL since I’ve been here. Playing basketball all those years definitely helped him. If the kid knows nothing at all, he can play 35 snaps a game inside the 25-yard-line at the next level. Go get it, Colbie. Everybody here knew it was coming and they still couldn’t stop him.”

Last edited:
Look at that film. There is no way in **** he ran a 4.6 in HS. He's a Langham or Cager type if we're lucky. His comp is putrid, so who knows. Not saying it's a bad take given our need. At least in his highlights he has good hands, which we sorely lack. And Gattis knows his WRs. But we're not getting a speedy big.
I wish this guy had Cager's 4.5 speed. If Cager could have caught passes with his hands like Young, he could have been an all time great. Instead he had to body catch everything which pretty much means his height was a waste.

Interesting. So those who fail to qualify would need the AA, they can't just re-take the SAT or something to flip back to a 4-year college. Interesting.

Been awhile since this impacted a Miami recruit but used to be if a kid was close test wise he would just go to a Military Academy like Hargreaves. If they didn’t have grades and test scores they would go to JUCO.

Advertisement

If you bumped that percentage down 1-2% I believe we would see the kids that qualified for scholarships, but wanted those better offers as you mentioned. And if he is smart, I assume he is, he may have decided juco was a way to get a year of school paid before he fully committed to lacrosse or football.

Don't forget Georgia Military College!!!!!!!

The question you should ask is “Is he a good football player?” If the answer is yes then you take him and put him in the best situation to produce.

Periodt A House Divided GIF by UMC - Stream Black Better

Advertisement
Back