Official JUCO WR Offer - Colbie Young: COMMITS!

Nope. Grades weren't an issue. He was an academic qualifier outta high school, which is why he's able to reclassify outta 2023 from JUCO now that the bigger schools are calling.
When a kid goes juco there’s only a few reasons why.

1. Grades / Test scores
2. Off field issues
3. No solid offers and use juco to get more interest from bigger schools

I take it it’s number 3?

Advertisement

1. Grades / Test scores
2. Off field issues

I take it it’s number 3?
I believe it's 3 as well. Had Albany and Maine outta high school. Given that he was a qualifier from high school and qualifies to reclassify ASAP, I gotta believe off the field is all good as well. Also saw someone mentioned PSU, he visited at the end of May before his trip to VTech. He's also got a teammate who's a 6'7 300lb OT, December grad though. Recently offered by FSU, VT, and South Carolina over the last 2 weeks.

Look at that film. There is no way in **** he ran a 4.6 in HS. He's a Langham or Cager type if we're lucky. His comp is putrid, so who knows. Not saying it's a bad take given our need. At least in his highlights he has good hands, which we sorely lack. And Gattis knows his WRs. But we're not getting a speedy big.

No knock on the kid but this tells me they don’t like the Ladson kid…. Grabbing a juco kid this late in the game solidifies it.

Good receipts in that Ladson thread to whoever kept hyping up that former “5Star talent”

1. Grades / Test scores
2. Off field issues

I take it it’s number 3?
Dude played HS ball in Binghamton, NY. I'll take #3. Not exactly a prep football hotbed, he's not a speed freak to go with the size(he's not slow though), and he likely didn't camp much if any in the offseason. Hard to believe if he camped at Syracuse that they wouldn't have offered. Maybe dude fancied himself more as a hooper and got a hard dose of reality? Either way, we could use him if we have buyer's remorse on Ladson...

Advertisement
From 247...

Coming out of high school, Young had offers from Albany and Maine amongst others before the junior college route opened up doors to offers from other programs such as Florida State and Virginia Tech.

“They were just saying that they need guys and they really just want to bring in somebody who’s experienced kind of and has been around in the college level. They just need a receiver and I can compete for a spot,”

Dude played HS ball in Binghamton, NY. I'll take #3. Not exactly a prep football hotbed, he's not a speed freak to go with the size(he's not slow though), and he likely didn't camp much if any in the offseason. Hard to believe if he camped at Syracuse that they wouldn't have offered. Maybe dude fancied himself more as a hooper and got a hard dose of reality? Either way, we could use him if we have buyer's remorse on Ladson...
This happens more than you would think. Dude really fell thru the cracks.

From 247...

Coming out of high school, Young had offers from Albany and Maine amongst others before the junior college route opened up doors to offers from other programs such as Florida State and Virginia Tech.

“They were just saying that they need guys and they really just want to bring in somebody who’s experienced kind of and has been around in the college level. They just need a receiver and I can compete for a spot,”
That sounds familiar...

tenor.gif

Did even play his sr season due to covid? Some kids slipped through the cracks with no sr season summer camp opportunities.

Advertisement
That sounds familiar...

tenor.gif

That Ladson isn’t any sort of player just reinforces my cynicism over the “eyeball test”

Which from the perspective of a canes fan, is a disheartening dose of reality. Kid SHOULD be really good. He just isn’t.

But kudos to the staff for giving him a fresh start and a chance to at least show if he can compete.

That Ladson isn’t any sort of player just reinforces my cynicism over the “eyeball test”

Which from the perspective of a canes fan, is a disheartening dose of reality. Kid SHOULD be really good. He just isn’t.

But kudos to the staff for giving him a fresh start and a chance to at least show if he can compete.
How about we give Ladson a chance to show what he can do throughout the course of a full season...and start judging his performances after we've actually seen him play a few games (during the season). Frank has good measurables. If he works hard & has his priorities straight, he may surprise us to the upside. I'm rooting for him to succeed as a Cane.

Weirdly OT. I graduated from Lafayette. In the early quarter of the twentieth century, when private, eastern schools ruled football, we won two national championships by recruiting out of this area and these schools. No more coal crackers there anymore but plenty of bodies. We do have a winning record against Penn State.

Just saw they have a McKinnie Hall at Lackawana. Trying to find out if he endowed it.
My dad is a Lehigh graduate. I’ve been to many Lehigh-Lafayette games. Great rivalry.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back