Official JUCO WR Offer - Colbie Young: COMMITS!

Advertisement
I have no problem taking him. But I would rather run multiple TEs and treat them like flankers instead of a guy with average talent, because they’ve got serious talent. That said there’s no arguing we need the depth at WR.

First and foremost, he does what you want your 6’4” receiver to do: out jump the corner for the jump ball and catch with his hands. This is definitely a shot across Ladson’s bow. The staff definitely feels we still need that big body red zone threat. I’m curious how he runs. Most tall guys don’t have short area quickness but you want a guy who’s fast enough to get separation. Otherwise you’re just signing another Darrel Langham.

Advertisement
First and foremost, he does what you want your 6’4” receiver to do: out jump the corner for the jump ball and catch with his hands. This is definitely a shot across Ladson’s bow. The staff definitely feels we still need that big body red zone threat. I’m curious how he runs. Most tall guys don’t have short area quickness but you want a guy who’s fast enough to get separation. Otherwise you’re just signing another Darrel Langham.
By the looks of things, Langham would be in the rotation if he were here now. Regardless, I think this guy (Young) looks more explosive than Darrell ever did. I think he can help.

I wonder what the issue is with Ladson. I thought he flashed at Clemson. Seems to be struggling.

This! I say, “Leave no stone unturned”.If he can help, sign him up. He’s 6’4”. He seems to get off the ball and into his routes, pretty quickly. That shows some short area burst. He eats up the cushion between he and the DB, with each stride. I ain’t saying he’s a speed demon, but he ain’t slow. He catches the ball with his hands. He’s playing against JUCO DRs, which is a step above most high school DBs. And he’s got 3yrs left. Did I mention that he’s 6’4”?😆

By the looks of things, Langham would be in the rotation if he were here now. Regardless, I think this guy (Young) looks more explosive than Darrell ever did. I think he can help.

I wonder what the issue is with Ladson. I thought he flashed at Clemson. Seems to be struggling.
IDK. Maybe Ladson is not consistent enough for the staff. Maybe they don’t think his work ethic is where it needs to be…. so they’re trying to bring in some competition for that big WR role.🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Penn State takes kids out of this JUCO often, and they could use a receiver. Interesting they aren’t after this kid; maybe Stubbs didn’t like him the first go around. Hopefully his grades are good to go though.
He is also wearing Penn State gloves in the pic in OP.

If we’re serious about adding him it speaks volumes that they’re willing to take a JUCO kid...

Especially considering his size & athletic profile, to me, it’s pretty much them saying they think he can contribute as a big bodied Tall Flanker, which was supposed to be for a particular player they already added...

I’m all for adding him if we can, people have underestimated the need for another WR, the staff has basically spent most of post Spring camp turning over every rock & checking every crevice they can find for a WR lol

WR room is 💩 is what this tells me.

And this dude is like adding Robert Lockhart back in the day. JUCO that probably doesn’t do much.

Advertisement
Honestly, **** speed. He’s 6’4 216. He’s gonna be carrying corners with him into the end zone. I’m not talking about you in particular but this fanbase overrates speed on a constant basis and that why they **** themselves over Mark Pope but guys like Elijah Moore aren’t takes. The question you should ask is “Is he a good football player?”. If the answer is yes then you take him and put him in the best situation to produce.
I agree with what you're saying. I would argue though, it's not **** speed. Speed is needed. It's how the speed is used. If he runs a low 4.6 but hits top speed in the first few steps and changes direction quickly, that translates to speed on the football field. Agility and short-area bursts translate on the football field often as speed even if the guy is running a high 4.5 - low 4.6.

According to a poster here, He supposedly ran that 4.6 in the 10th grade. If that’s true, he’s probably faster than that now. IDK. But agreeing with a poster above., this speaks volumes about where our WR room is at.

Advertisement
According to a poster here, He supposedly ran that 4.6 in the 10th grade. If that’s true, he’s probably faster than that now. IDK. But agreeing with a poster above., this speaks volumes about where our WR room is at.

If he ran a 4.6 in 10th grade after being a 1st Team 2A All-State selection in football and a 5th Team 2A All-State selection in BBall (after averaging 22ppg), you would expect more attention and offers than what he has. It's not out of the question but something doesn't add up.

If he ran a 4.6 in 10th grade after being a 1st Team 2A All-State selection in football and a 5th Team 2A All-State selection in BBall (after averaging 22ppg), you would expect more attention and offers than what he has. It's not out of the question but something doesn't add up.
Well he has offers from Pitt and just got one from FSU.

Advertisement
Back