Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pay to see saban yell at gase lol
thumb-86-scaled.jpg

Advertisement
I have no doubt about that. But his one year at Miami absolutely accelerated his demise.

He probably could have faked it for a few more years, cashing in some big paychecks, before the chickens came home to roost.

That's the thing about the UM football program. It seems to be the purest filter for the marketplace. Look at the list of coaching hires/fires since Donna came in to destroy the program. Each one ended up with the same fate as Gattis is likely to face; A true outing of their limitations.

Coker - Won a title on autopilot. Ultimately the marketplace determined that his best role is a caretaker role in a lower level program. He had success in starting the UT San Antonio program from ground up.

Randy - Never again did he get a head coaching offer. D Coordinator was his ceiling, his time at UM proved that out.

Golden - Had no bidnizz being a head football coach. He was a fraud and the marketplace forced him all the back down to a minor position coaching role with the hapless Detroit Lions. It was his affiliation with pedophiles that finally got him a Coordinator gig at Notre Dame.

Dorito - Had to sit out and coach youth football before temporarily fooling the marketplace for a brief stint at University of Houston. Now back to being a position coach.

Gattis - I fully expect him to have to go back to position coaching for a few years before he'll be considered for a coordinator role again. And as a side note, he may need to find Jesus before the marketplace accepts him at all. We really arent seeing his name associated with any openings (aside from a couple tweets regarding the Ped State WR coach role).

[/QUOTE]@Cribby a lot of talk that Gattis has a chance to be back if it doesn’t play out the way everyone wants it to. Seems odd and can only make the staff chemistry and player development etc worse. Chances he is retained?
[/QUOTE]
Where is this talk coming from other than the one silly speculative article and then the people talking about that article? Not sure that counts as a lot of talk.

Echoes of Al golden sympathizers…yes points are the ultimate goal, but every statistical analysis shows there is a correlation between yds gained and points scored. In a small sample, you can score a lot of points with fewer yds, but it doesn’t hold up as the sample gets bigger. Use the yards per point metric for example, osu was best at 11.1, the 109th best team was 16.1. That’s not much variation over the top 109 teams

You are borderline...special...

Nobody is saying that there isn't a rough correlation.

This is about Mario Haters ignoring a postive stat and instead choosing the stat that makes someone look the worst, a stat that doesn't, you know, ACTUALLY WIN GAMES.

Again...Top 25 all three years in scoring. I'm not acting like "total offense" doesn't exist, but when you and others choose to harp on it while ignoring POINTS, that's when I know you have agenda and narrative to push.

And stop yapping about sample size, I cited full-season rankings. 18th in scoring, 25th in scoring, 16th in scoring, from 2017-2019. You just won't use THOSE rankings because they are not as favorable to your anti-Cristobal/Arroyo argument.

Advertisement
That's the thing about the UM football program. It seems to be the purest filter for the marketplace. Look at the list of coaching hires/fires since Donna came in to destroy the program. Each one ended up with the same fate as Gattis is likely to face; A true outing of their limitations.

Coker - Won a title on autopilot. Ultimately the marketplace determined that his best role is a caretaker role in a lower level program. He had success in starting the UT San Antonio program from ground up.

Randy - Never again did he get a head coaching offer. D Coordinator was his ceiling, his time at UM proved that out.

Golden - Had no bidnizz being a head football coach. He was a fraud and the marketplace forced him all the back down to a minor position coaching role with the hapless Detroit Lions. It was his affiliation with pedophiles that finally got him a Coordinator gig at Notre Dame.

Dorito - Had to sit out and coach youth football before temporarily fooling the marketplace for a brief stint at University of Houston. Now back to being a position coach.

Gattis - I fully expect him to have to go back to position coaching for a few years before he'll be considered for a coordinator role again. And as a side note, he may need to find Jesus before the marketplace accepts him at all. We really arent seeing his name associated with any openings (aside from a couple tweets regarding the Ped State WR coach role).
The great differentiator, Miami Hurricanes football 😞

This is about Mario Haters ignoring a postive stat and instead choosing the stat that makes someone look the worst, a stat that doesn't, you know, ACTUALLY WIN GAMES.

Again...Top 25 all three years in scoring. I'm not acting like "total offense" doesn't exist, but when you and others choose to harp on it while ignoring POINTS, that's when I know you have agenda and narrative to push.

And stop yapping about sample size, I cited full-season rankings. 18th in scoring, 25th in scoring, 16th in scoring, from 2017-2019. You just won't use THOSE rankings because they are not as favorable to your anti-Cristobal/Arroyo argument.

Scoring and 3rd efficiency are the two biggest benchmarks in my mind to judge an offense or Coordinator by

Over the past 5 years, if you wanna be top 25 in scoring you’ve gotta be at or above 34ppg

I agree with you, yardage stats aren’t super meaningful

Of course it didn’t work, Carolina was not a talented offense.

Not like Buffalo, with a MVP/Top 5 QB, elite WRs, and a pretty good first-year OC calling plays. Brady reports to him.
So Brady gets credit for Buffalo offense?

Advertisement
Cristobal should just humor me and hire Paul Johnson or one of them man that coaches Navy. Everybody is convinced certain man are sure fire success here like Mullen and Joe Brady. While others who had success wont, simply because they dont run the preffered 6 wide with the WR boots on the chalk.

I rather get a NFL coach, someone who is used to and proven in dealing with grown men. Kinsbury would satisfy the lets play backyard ball and people who want someone proven and experience. We need a proven play caller but we also need someone who is gonna command that offensive room. I value that more than any specific scheme. You can use that to get the best out of the jimmy's and joe's who then execute they x and o's. Thats why im not all that excited about Mullen after how UF imploded 1 year after almost winning the SEC title

Advertisement
Advertisement
Does accuracy matter?

First, 2017 was the year that Arroyo and Cristobal were Co-OCs. So if you are arguing that when Arroyo became the sole OC in 2018 he "inherited" a good offense, wouldn't he be partly responsible for that?

Second, in case you are ******** up your dates and facts, Herbert only started 7 games in the year before Arroyo-Cristobal arrived (2016), with only 2 wins, and then missed 5 games in 2017 due to injury. Herbert was talented, but let's not act like Oregon was in great shape at that point. One thing that is consistent in all 4 of Herbert's years, the top 2 Oregon RBs logged 1700-2000 yards each year.

In fact, the MOST successful running year for Oregon was Herbert's sophomore year, when the top 3 Oregon RBs went for 2,500 yards. And while Herbert was hurt for 5 games, it is also the one year (of Herbert's 2016-2019 years) when the offense ran the MOST and passed the LEAST.

Again...Herbert played only parts of his first two seasons. It wasn't until his junior and senior years that he was able to play in every game. So, you know, maybe there are legitimate reasons for Arroyo to let Herbert grow with the protection of a great running game, or to simply protect Herbert from injury.

Funny seeing you accuse anyone else of ‘f***ing up their dates and facts’ when you egregiously alleged earlier in this very thread that Justin Herbert didn’t play as a freshman.

Arroyo was minimally or partially responsible but Willie Taggart was Oregon’s playcaller in 2017 and it was Taggart’s offensive system. The first game in which Arroyo called plays was the Las Vegas Bowl after Taggart left for FSU.

Per OregonLive.com from August 2018:

“After a disastrous performance in Arroyo's UO play-calling debut in December's Las Vegas Bowl, his imprint on the offense remains to be seen.”

As far as the effectiveness of Oregon’s run game and their run/pass ratio, I have zero issues with either of those things. I actually agree with you. Using your great OL and effective RB’s to attack atrocious PAC-12 defenses and have a balanced offense? That’s smart.

My issues with Arroyo are similar to the issues I had with Gattis and they’re rooted in the severe limitations of their respective passing game philosophies/play designs.

In Herbert’s senior year with a future top 5 LT and a great overall OL, Arroyo called plays like he had Malik Rosier at QB and nothing but turnstiles across his entire offensive line. 23% of Oregon’s passing plays were screens and 21% of Herbert’s passing yards that season came on screens. Herbert’s 8.8 ADOT ranked 73rd in the country.

Their season opening loss to Auburn that year is a prime example of why I want nothing to do with Arroyo. They had a senior Justin Herbert while Auburn had a true freshman Bo Nix and it was Arroyo calling his offense like his QB was the one who needed training wheels.

Last edited:

The problem with those rankings is they don’t put anything in context.

Turnovers?
Field position?
Quality of defenses played?

I start on my own 1 yard line and drive 50 yards and punt against the best defense in college football.

I start on the other team’s 15 yard mine this is to a turnover, and get a FG against the worst defense in college football.

What was the better quality offensive position?

Scoring and 3rd efficiency are the two biggest benchmarks in my mind to judge an offense or Coordinator by

Over the past 5 years, if you wanna be top 25 in scoring you’ve gotta be at or above 34ppg

I agree with you, yardage stats aren’t super meaningful

Agreed. We've got a bunch of "Russian judge" posters, who are going to post the worst possible score.

It's just agenda/narrative, but the Cristobal/Arroyo posters are acting like Urkel.

Urkdownload.jpg

You literally said “**** off with all that yardage NONSENSE” and you apparently said it a million times… if that’s not dismissive, I don’t know what is. No one said anything similar like they dont care about points. And your sample size is Oregon over a couple years. I’m talking about the correlation of yds and points over the entirety of college football in years They keep relevant stats and you can even include the nfl in there. And it’s not just a rough correlation that can be ignored, it’s a significant correlation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back