Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Gattis out "recruiting" when we have WR's visiting this weekend....
Think About It GIF by Identity

Mike Vrabel, who is one of the most hard headed, stubborn, coaches alive took less than 48 hours after their final game to fire the Titans OC, OL coach, and DB coach. If Vrabel can act that fast then there is absolutely 0 excuse for Mario. He may end up canning Gattis, but this whole "let them find another job so they can save face" crap is not the way to go.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What is the point of keeping Gattis around if he’s not even doing the #1 thing Mario expects from his staff which is recruiting?? We can see he can’t coach or scheme up an offense.

A few years ago I’d assume we were broke and couldn’t get someone else in here or buyout Gattis contract…. Mario is making this harder on himself there is too many dudes out there that run successful offenses that can get us a top 50(wow that’s pathetic to set the bar so low) offense year one.

That’s the most frustrating thing of all.

For years we’ve heard and seen that the thing holding the program back was money and commitment from the school

Same crap different day

Mike Vrabel, who is one of the most hard headed, stubborn, coaches alive took less than 48 hours after their final game to fire the Titans OC, OL coach, and DB coach. If Vrabel can act that fast then their is absolutely 0 excuse for Mario. He may end up canning Gattis, but this whole "let them find another job so they can save face" crap is not the way to go.
Right. It's admirable but he's forgetting that he needs to be running this operation like an actual CEO and not a "bro." Jimbo, Urban, Saban, Kirby, and Dabo all understand this basic concept and would make all the necessary changes to attain the one goal that they were hired for....even if appears to be a **** move. We're talking about millions of dollars here!

Advertisement
What if:

Nobody wants to work for Mario?

Look at what happened to Gattis? He was being considered for P5 head coaching jobs last year and now he's at risk of getting fired. Has a Broyles award winner ever failed that fast?

We already know he didn't get his first choice at DC or OC last year.

What if he literally can't get a better OC than Gattis?

There's all kinds of narratives out there about him.

He micromanages.
He's demanding, especially in recruiting.
He meddles with the offense.
He wants to hire his whole staff and not let the coordinates hire/fire.

What if those narratives are keeping even more people away this year than they did last year?

I can understand how some of those are viewed as negative. Having said that I can't see how this one "He's demanding, especially in recruiting" could ever be seen as a negative.

I can understand how some of those are viewed as negative. Having said that I can't see how this one "He's demanding, especially in recruiting" could ever be seen as a negative.

This isn’t directed at you but the topic,

Which is it, is Mario demanding of his coaches, especially on the recruiting trail

Or, as Cribby stated, several coaches on staff are slacking and not pulling their weight

I dont get it

Advertisement
This isn’t directed at you but the topic,

Which is it, is Mario demanding of his coaches, especially on the recruiting trail

Or, as Cribby stated, several coaches on staff are slacking and not pulling their weight

I dont get it
I would hope that if they weren't pulling their weight he would correct that....one hopes given just how hard he works at recruiting.

Regardless..on the topic I hope he is very demanding of his coaches on recruiting.

Garrett Riley actually went to Clemson. I'm done.

Y'all dont have to put me on any Mario-believer lists anymore, that guy can **** off for all I care.

His strategy in hiring new coaches has backfired twice now, once bringing in an OC who was worse than Enos and now kept that guy around long enough to hurt recruiting in both the HS field and the NIL level.

What's the point of supporting this?

Advertisement
That’s the most frustrating thing of all.

For years we’ve heard and seen that the thing holding the program back was money and commitment from the school

Same crap different day
Well, UM has been and will continue paying Gattis about $35k a week through February 2024 regardless of whether he is working for UM or not. So a reasonable approach is that you keep him on staff getting some value for the $35k until the new guy is ready to be hired. The value UM is getting is nominal to be sure, and I think reasonable arguments have been made here about the downside to keeping him on as a lame duck (WR recruiting for one, although I am not sure having no OC or WR coach would have landed us an WRs in the meantime).

This seems to be the approach Dabo took, firing his OC and hiring Riley the same day. But it will be difficult knowing what the delay is attributable to until this is finished and we can speculate based on the hire whether Mario was striking out or dealing with timing issues that were not fully within his control. Regardless, I think it is a reasonable assumption that Riley was not coming here even if UM fired Gattis at halftime of the Pitt game given that Riley had the opportunity at Clemson and likely many others as well. Clemson is just a safer bet at this point, especially for a guy who likely wants to get up and out in short order.

Garrett Riley actually went to Clemson. I'm done.

Y'all dont have to put me on any Mario-believer lists anymore, that guy can **** off for all I care.

His strategy in hiring new coaches has backfired twice now, once bringing in an OC who was worse than Enos and now kept that guy around long enough to hurt recruiting in both the HS field and the NIL level.

What's the point of supporting this?
Chill boi. Tf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back