Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I didn’t say she was the hottest thing ever.

ATT is clearly trying to make her look more unattractive in their commercials.

I’m a fan of natural *****

I don't know man, this is kinda adding to the allure of it

know GIF

Also, Gattis Michigan offense is like Straight Talk, we know it's on the AT&T network but it ain't the same.

he also said that DVD is safe (we all know that) and a name to keep an eye on is James Coley
God I cringe when that name comes up. Why do we need to hire retreads from failed regimes. When was the last time Coley was part of a prolific offense? If recruiting is his big attribute, that does seem to be a little less valuable under Mario. Can he coach up WR or QBs?

That said, some folks more coaching savvy than me have said that if you have a chance to get Coley back on staff, you do it. Perhaps I’m just snake bitten by his time here as an OC.

Advertisement
Plain and simple: If Mario doesn't fire Gattis, and our offense in 2023 is as bad as this past year's offense and our record as poor, then Mario is going to hemorrhage support from the fanbase. That type of negative energy around the program will kill our recruiting class next year and hurt our ability to acquire talent.

And that's the likely scenario if Gattis is retained because Gattis ******* sucks. Mario will make a critical mistake that will kill the momentum of the program if he retains Gattis. The stakes are high.

Plain and simple: If Mario doesn't fire Gattis, and our offense in 2023 is as bad as this past year's offense and our record as poor, then Mario is going to hemorrhage support from the fanbase. That type of negative energy around the program will kill our recruiting class next year and hurt our ability to acquire talent.

And that's the likely scenario if Gattis is retained because Gattis ******* sucks. Mario will make a critical mistake that will kill the momentum of the program if he retains Gattis. The stakes are high.
Just because Gattis returns doesn't mean the offense will stink again, this scheme was always going to take time to learn. Numerous OCs have struggled year 1 to have success the following season, it's what Gattis did at Michigan. I'm not saying we will have a great offense or anything but just because he failed last season doesn't mean he will fail next.

Just because Gattis returns doesn't mean the offense will stink again, this scheme was always going to take time to learn. Numerous OCs have struggled year 1 to have success the following season, it's what Gattis did at Michigan. I'm not saying we will have a great offense or anything but just because he failed last season doesn't mean he will fail next.
So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

God I cringe when that name comes up. Why do we need to hire retreads from failed regimes. When was the last time Coley was part of a prolific offense? If recruiting is his big attribute, that does seem to be a little less valuable under Mario. Can he coach up WR or QBs?

That said, some folks more coaching savvy than me have said that if you have a chance to get Coley back on staff, you do it. Perhaps I’m just snake bitten by his time here as an OC.
I'm with you. The James Coley at OC experiment has been attempted 4 times. It ended with 1 demotion and 2 bosses getting fired, and with him not being allowed to call plays from the jump.

His one year at FIU was a train wreck and lasted 1 season (Mario was fired)
Jimbo named him OC but never let him call plays
His time at Miami ended with a halfback pass in the snow (Golden was fired)
He was demoted at UGA after 1 season because they "struggled to create explosive plays and ranked 61st in total offense"

He has no business as an OC. TE or WR coach? Sure. But not as an OC.

Advertisement
post much less

If he’s retained this board shouldn’t do it to themselves and might as well take the year off.

Once practice reports flow in about how improved talent makes Gattis’ offense look “lethal” with a run threat the fanbase is going to begin its downward spiral into thinking we’ll compete for the Coastal or something comparable.

Advertisement
I'm with you. The James Coley at OC experiment has been attempted 4 times. It ended with 1 demotion and 2 bosses getting fired, and with him not being allowed to call plays from the jump.

His one year at FIU was a train wreck and lasted 1 season (Mario was fired)
Jimbo named him OC but never let him call plays
His time at Miami ended with a halfback pass in the snow (Golden was fired)
He was demoted at UGA after 1 season because they "struggled to create explosive plays and ranked 61st in total offense"

He has no business as an OC. TE or WR coach? Sure. But not as an OC.
Oh My bad if I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t speaking of him for an OC. Coley has zero shot at that. I’m speaking in terms of as a position coach. I don’t want him on the staff. Again, I may be overly emotional from his time here.

I want new blood, new ideas, new faces. We’ve had a dog$hit offense for too long which should be criminal with the athletes we have down here.

The other thing is that I am a big advocate of having a new OC bring in at minimum at least 1 of his own coaches that is familiar with the playbook. I think that would really help with installing a new system and teaching the other coaches/players

As I noted in the first post of this thread, its not that Gattis didn't have success, its that he showed very little understanding of how to be successful as a play caller. He never showed that any plays could be built off of other plays. He never allowed the offense to get into any kind of a rhythm...Nothing! He generated the most pathetic yardage numbers ever seen in the modern era of college football. The guy single-handedly destroyed the season. He destroyed what was a top shelf QB room by treating QB's like yo-yos.

If Josh Gattis comes back, it will be more of the same. We'll be right back where we were with Coker in 2004, Randy in 2008/09 and Golden in 2012/13/14. We'll be 6-6 with all of the top kids from the last two recruiting classes leaving town via the portal. All of the real college coaches will be telling the 2024 class, "See I told ya so..."

This is a true test of Mario Cristobal as a leader. We'll see how he handles it.

Agree to disagree. I think it'll stink.

Advertisement
If he’s retained this board shouldn’t do it to themselves and might as well take the year off.

Once practice reports flow in about how improved talent makes Gattis’ offense look “lethal” with a run threat the fanbase is going to begin its downward spiral into thinking we’ll compete for the Coastal or something comparable.
I understand what you are saying but exactly what improved offensive talent? The OL will be better and I’m hoping the RB room won’t be decimated by injuries again but the WR room is leaving a lot to be desired at this point. I get that there will likely be another portal wave after bowl season and hopefully MC is able to improve the WR room in the next few weeks but it’s looking pretty ugly right now.

And who knows how TVD performs in year 2 under Gattis.

Lots of questions on offense and I find it a little disturbing that MC may be hitching his wagon to Gattis.

You are 100% inaccurate. It it NOT what Gattis did at Michigan. Gattis sucked horribly at Michigan in 2020. Harbaugh recognized his weaknesses ... and immediately promoted a TE coach to Co / OC with responsibility for GAME PLANNING and also added another offensive staffer to HELP GATTIS, and Harbaugh also had offensive play calling input for the 2021 season. GATTIS COULD NOT DO IT BY HIMSELF ... he lacks the requisite knowledge and the ability to manage the pulse of the game. 2021 at Michigan was MUCH BETTER ... not because Gattis adjusted and improved ... but because Harbaugh took drastic corrective action and took responsibilities AWAY from Gattis. He failed at Miami in 2022 because he IS NOT a good or even decent OC. It will be more of the same, regardless of the roster, HE will underperform and the team will underperform vs what could be attained with a HIGHER QUALITY OC. Mario owes it to himself, to the UM program, to upgrade staff just as he has upgraded roster. To fail to do so would be a major cop out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back