Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this business differ than any other college or pro baseball, basketball, or football team or corporation or business?

Every business management consultant on the planet will tell you when you know it's time to fire an employee, you do it as soon as possible. There are no benefits to waiting.
Took him a long time to land on Josh Gattis last season, so yeah I think it’s fair to question his process here

Advertisement
regardless of what you think of dudes scheme the players don’t want to play for him. you can’t have your coordinator, the guy who is a whole HC to one side of the ball, be unlikable.

Doesn’t matter if they don’t like him. What does matter is they don’t seem to trust or respect him.

This by itself should demand a change of direction. He hasn’t shown anything in game that would warrant rolling the dice on another season with him commanding the offense. So why take the risk?

Mario needs to see the writing on the wall. If he lets hubris and stubbornness get the best of him, this fan base will make him wish he stayed in Oregon.

Took him a long time to land on Josh Gattis last season, so yeah I think it’s fair to question his process here

I suspect that the motivation to handle Gattis this way is contractual and financial, ie termination vs leaving for another opportunity.

It may cost Miami more to terminate him, and Gattis may not want the stain of a termination on his resume. Therefore, there may be some mutual benefit to handling the situation as is. I also suspect there is a drop dead date where if Gattis hasn't found another opportunity, he will be terminated, Miami will eat the cost, and Gattis will have the termination on his resume. I would take all the emotion out of it and look at it from a more likely angle.

Advertisement
I suspect that the motivation to handle Gattis this way is contractual and financial, ie termination vs leaving for another opportunity.

It may cost Miami more to terminate him, and Gattis may not want the stain of a termination on his resume. Therefore, there may be some mutual benefit to handling the situation as is. I also suspect there is a drop dead date where if Gattis hasn't found another opportunity, he will be terminated, Miami will eat the cost, and Gattis will have the termination on his resume. I would take all the emotion out of it and look at it from a more likely angle.
Sure. It’s where I’m at as well I’m actually incredibly indifferent to what’s happening at the moment just from seeing these things up close for many years.

Just saying taking away the emotional aspects I do get why some people are less than ok at the moment given how his timeline last offseason ultimately worked out.

I don’t know enough about what happened last year to comment though.

I’m with you. Miami is not some charity case. You don’t get to let an OC who sent Miami’s offense back to B.C. dictate your next moves. You want to let him interview for jobs? Great, saves you a buyout. Good looks.

But guess what? It’s been (in all honestly) well over a month since he’s known he’s gotta look for a job. Again all speculation for this part, but If you have no traction after this length of time…you’re either shooting way too high (which makes sense because the dude’s ego is inflated beyond belief) or no one wants you. Mario should not have to take him back simply because it’s the easy way out. It would look absolutely horrible if he’s retained, and I’d reckon TVD would leave for starters.

Maybe he wants to focus on ESD first before making staff changes. Quite possible, and certainly fits Mario’s timeline in terms of how he operates. But man can it be frustrating. It’s like pulling teeth. I promise you all you need is a competent OC, and recruiting will be so much easier. He’s carrying **** near the entire load right now, especially on offense.
I think he is prioritizing ESD. Zo can be tasked with coming up with a list of candidates while Mario does his thing recruiting.

The Gattis to Iowa rumor makes sense due to their recent transfers on offense and if they want to wait to announce things after the bowl game that could explain the delay in announcing Gattis is gone.

Advertisement
Doesn’t matter if they don’t like him. What does matter is they don’t seem to trust or respect him.

This by itself should demand a change of direction. He hasn’t shown anything in game that would warrant rolling the dice on another season with him commanding the offense. So why take the risk?

Mario needs to see the writing on the wall. If he lets hubris and stubbornness get the best of him, this fan base will make him wish he stayed in Oregon.
they know they’re not being put in a position to succeed, and on top of that he’s an a**hole. players will play hard for an a**hole. they won’t play hard for an a**hole who isn’t putting them in a position to succeed.

I’m a big Mario fan and want him to succeed but anyone not acknowledging that Mario is taking a huge risk by keeping Gattis on until past ESD is fooling themselves. These kids all saw us lose 4 out of the last 6 games in embarrassing fashion. One of those wins was dreadful. There isn’t a single committed recruit tied to him. We also don’t have a lot of traction with any of our remaining offensive skill targets. There’s kids like Dante Moore taking seconds looks and we are nowhere near that conversation, atleast publicly.

We can site all the logic in the world of why he’s still here but these kids live in a world of what’s trending, what’s cool and what excites them. They make Decisions based on emotion. Right now none of that is in our favor with Gattis here. Mario can sit in everyone of these kids living room, be genuine and tell them there’s going to be huge changes. The minute he walks out another recruiter walks in, tells them all the negative shït we already know and then proceeds to show them on tape. He could mitigate that by getting rid of him and selling them on the change thats to come. Right now he doesn't even have that to sell. It may all workout in the end but he's taking a huge risk.

If I am an offensive recruit, why in the world would I want to be part of this abortion of a system...

Last edited:
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Army just went over 10 yards for the half…so much for them upgrading OC with Gattis

Look, I don’t have an answer as to why Gattis isnt gone yet

But I do know on good authority:

1. Gattis was a plan F or G candidate
2. Mario was very unhappy with the offense and is “well aware the impact it had on the team, attendance and recruiting”

I’m still confident Gattis will be gone

I'll go w/ F+ on number one.

By putting this off again for w/ever unknown reason(s), he's right back in the same spot which led to the Gattis mistake in the first place.

Btw, not shooting the messenger here. Only adding my comment to yours.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Wait, didn’t Mario say you shouldn’t commit to school for a position coach because they stay at a school for 2 years max? Fire his *** MF!

I refuse to believe that 1.8 million is the reason why Gattis is still here. Waiting for a certain date for that number to go down? Ain't no way.

I think right or wrong, recruiting is priority #1 right now and they will deal with OC and other staff changes over Christmas break, as more coaches come into the market after bowl games and playoffs. I'd totally be okay with this strategy if that meant Zo is using backdoor channels to use his connects to find out who will be available and wants to come.

All that said, I think there is a date sometime after ESD where the changes are scheduled to happen and that gives Gattis time to do what he needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back