Jon Ford Ready To Follow In Willis Footsteps...

You talking lack of numbers at de or just not many proven guys? Because number wise they have enough.
Uh, we have 4 elligible DE's on our roster who have ever played a snap - Garvin, Hill (who was kicked off his last team), Patchan, Rousseau (who only played 2 games).
Joyner redshirted last year and is moving from LB. Jahfari Harvey and Cameron Williams are two Frosh DE's. Maybe Harvey can get some PT this yr, but Williams is doubtful....Sam Brooks is a LB and he won't likely be playing any DE this yr either.
Then of course Jaelan Phillips has to sit a year.

So legit we have 3 upperclassman DE's and 2 Freshman. Not exactly amazing depth.

Advertisement
Ford and Nesta steppi
6D746F1B-64C6-48EF-BA6C-CF5A88EA4C95.jpeg
ng up with Bethel and that UCLA transfer getting heavy rotation would be ideal. But I'm not sure Nesta is quite ready for that yet. And if Jordan Miller steps up and earns some PT this year, I'll be excited.

We may lack depth at DE, but I'm really excited for out DLine.
I hope Miller has made the next step because he looks like a beast in his uniform. He has transformed his body.

I have to disagree with you on the DEs. Patchan has been a solid contributor when healthy and he's now the healthiest he's ever been since attending UM. Rousseau is going to be a stud this year. We just didn't get to see him last year because of his ankle injury. Lastly, Harvey is an early enrollee that the coaches are raving about. Those 3 in rotation with Garvin and Hill as the starters. With Hill not transferring in until Summer, the rotational guys will get plenty of snaps during the Spring.

So, with the addition of Hill and Rousseau now healthy, we'll actually have more depth at DE than last year.

Last edited:
I hope Miller has made the next step because he looks like a beast in his uniform. He has transformed his body.

I have to disagree with you on the DEs. Patchan has been a solid contributor when healthy and he's now the healthiest he's ever been since attending UM. Rousseau is going to be a stud this year. We just didn't get to see him last year because of his ankle injury. Lastly, Harvey is an early enrollee that the coaches are raving about. Those 3 in rotation with Garvin and Hill as the starters. With Hill not transferring in until Summer, the rotational guys will get plenty of snaps during the Spring.

So, with the addition of Hill and Rousseau now healthy, we'll actually have more depth at DE than last year.
Look, I think we have talent, but you're just plain wrong about depth. Comparing it to last year doesn't matter, because our depth last year was also horrible. It's like not even debatable.

Patchan has literally never started a game, and it's not like he was some stud last year. I hope with him being fully recovered he will be a stud, but to assume he will be anything more than a solid rotational player is kinda ridiculous.

Hill was kicked off the team last time he played. He is a big risk, whether we want to admit it or not. He was above average as a Sophomore, and off to a good start as a Junior, but he missed basically the entire season. Who knows how he's going to return after all that time away. Hopefully he has been working his *** off, but without being part of a team for basically an entire year, it wouldn't be surprising if he wasn't in very good shape.

Rousseau was a **** true frosh last yr that played a few plays in 2 games. He has a **** load of potential, but that's it right now, same with Harvey. Do I think they'll be studs? Yes, hopefully. But they haven't proven ANYTHING yet.

So like I said, where we are RIGHT NOW, is not good depth wise. Garvin is the only 100% proven guy right now. So Depth is objectively not good. It's quite literally below average considering we have ONLY 3 Non-Freshman who are eligible at the position. When you're heavily dependent on 2 freshman (Rousseau & Harvey) to be able to play, you're depth is average or worse.

This Spring football chyt always produce numerous Greentree/IPF All-Americans. I'll make my judgements after seeing the Spring Game.

Advertisement
There is a long way to go until Orlando, but Ford has a lot of late bloomer potential.

He was a basketball player transitioning into a football player when he got here. In a perfect world, he would’ve redshirted. The size, length and athleticism is all there.

Kareem Brown is a guy who really blossomed after several years of strength training and coaching. Hopefully, Ford is the same way.

Advertisement
There is a long way to go until Orlando, but Ford has a lot of late bloomer potential.

He was a basketball player transitioning into a football player when he got here. In a perfect world, he would’ve redshirted. The size, length and athleticism is all there.

Kareem Brown is a guy who really blossomed after several years of strength training and coaching. Hopefully, Ford is the same way.
Why wasn't he redshirted? I cant recall him playing much his freshman year.

Oh and we need it for this defense not to take a step back. Would be huge to have an above average 2 deep there if we're not going to have Willis production.

An improved Ford and Nesta, Chigozie and one more DT on the roster stepping up would be HUGE.

I think the one more will be Miller plus an additive in a surprising development, one of the frosh. I think we all are going to be pleasantly surprised by the DT play this year with Ford and Bethel starting, Nesta/Nnoruka in the 2 deep, followed by frosh/Miller. We get the ability to rotate DT’s and not lose much in the way of play? This defense will be special again.

Advertisement
Looks like the light coming on for nesta

Baker was raving about him

Great to hear more than 30-40sec video clips. Sounds like the defense will gel well once they learn to play together and trust one another. SMH at SMD and her legacy question. Does she really think given the flow of all the questions previous to hers that it makes sense to ask that one at that time? Maybe ask it off to the side or ask the kids, Baker hasn’t been here nor does he care if a kid’s Poppa came to Miami or not. It’s evident he’s about producing on the field, not what your Daddy did.

Look, I think we have talent, but you're just plain wrong about depth. Comparing it to last year doesn't matter, because our depth last year was also horrible. It's like not even debatable.

Patchan has literally never started a game, and it's not like he was some stud last year. I hope with him being fully recovered he will be a stud, but to assume he will be anything more than a solid rotational player is kinda ridiculous.

Hill was kicked off the team last time he played. He is a big risk, whether we want to admit it or not. He was above average as a Sophomore, and off to a good start as a Junior, but he missed basically the entire season. Who knows how he's going to return after all that time away. Hopefully he has been working his *** off, but without being part of a team for basically an entire year, it wouldn't be surprising if he wasn't in very good shape.

Rousseau was a **** true frosh last yr that played a few plays in 2 games. He has a **** load of potential, but that's it right now, same with Harvey. Do I think they'll be studs? Yes, hopefully. But they haven't proven ANYTHING yet.

So like I said, where we are RIGHT NOW, is not good depth wise. Garvin is the only 100% proven guy right now. So Depth is objectively not good. It's quite literally below average considering we have ONLY 3 Non-Freshman who are eligible at the position. When you're heavily dependent on 2 freshman (Rousseau & Harvey) to be able to play, you're depth is average or worse.

You’re going to have this issue year after year due to early exits and graduation. So of course the DE’s are going to be speculated off of “potential”. Where I think you’re incorrect is Hill - he’s going to be the next in line if very good to great DE’s at the U. Coupled with Garvin and with the play of Ford/Bethel/Nnoruka/Miller will create a very good defensive front for 2019. We shall see if they get the TFL’s and Sacks we got last season but that’s all we can either hope for or discuss right now. The scheme Diaz/Baker runs will all but guarantee the TFL’s. It’s through effort and ability we will see the Sacks pile up. I for one am excited with the depth we have at both the DE/DT positions. They’re going to eat this year.

I hear your point, but I still disagree. Hill is a proven commodity. He's an All-ACC caliber player.

Secondly, so what if Patchan has never started
Look who has started in front of him and he played in 12 games last year. He's a quality player.

Lastly, my point is our backups will be improved. All the DEs will be improved. Nobody's stays the same
Guys improve from one year to the next even if they didn't play the previous year. That's what training in a program does.

Advertisement

Welcome to cfb. Inexperienced guys has to step up every year for almost every team.

I forgot to mention this yesterday but in G's live stream I seen Ford and he still had on a bulky black cast

Nnoruka was very productive at UCLA before they switched to a 3-4.

Advertisement
Back