John Campbell is not hurt... but he in the portal

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Campbell news is surprising. I mean, even the biggest John Cambell fans wouldn't have called him a SEC OT.

I wish Cambell, Gaynor, and Clark the best but I still don't think they start here.
Agree on Gaynor and Clark since both are centers and Lee is much better.

Cambell? Disagree. He would likely start at LT and allow us to move Rivers to RG. At a minimum, he is quality depth. There’s a reason Rivers has exclusively played on the interior until this year. He’s better suited at guard but is being forced to play on the outside because the frosh aren’t ready and we have nobody else.

Cambell? Disagree. He would likely start at LT and allow us to move Rivers to RG. At a minimum, he is quality depth. There’s a reason Rivers has exclusively played on the interior until this year. He’s better suited at guard but is being forced to play on the outside because the frosh aren’t ready and we have nobody else.

Campbell has done absolutely nothing to merit that praise. No way would he start over Rivers, and I’m the one who thinks Rivers should move inside because his feet aren’t quick enough for tackle. Campbell’s feet are molasses. Pate and UTn are deluded. He will disappoint.

Advertisement
People tend to overestimate the amount of talent nationwide when they appraise our guys, especially at a scarce position like tackle.

Campbell has high-end size, is decently athletic and has experience. We wanted to keep him but are more than comfortable with the youth movement.

Besides Zion, we haven't had a quality OT for bit. Campbell, during his time here, had every opportunity to lock down a starting spot and couldn't.

If Alex Mirabel, a coach who had developed NFL OL, thinks Rivers can play LT, I'm not going to question him. I do have my doubts. Truthfully, every OL we have, besides Zion, is keeping that spot warm for Samson Okunlola.

Campbell has done absolutely nothing to merit that praise. No way would he start over Rivers, and I’m the one who thinks Rivers should move inside because his feet aren’t quick enough for tackle. Campbell’s feet are molasses. Pate and UTn are deluded. He will disappoint.
What praise? That he will be missed more than Gaynor and Clark? That he would probably start at LT ahead of Rivers? You don’t think its reasonably possible that Cambell would indeed start at LT and Rivers would return to his natural position?

I’m not saying he’s McKinnie but he would have given us a swing tackle without having to play RIvers out of position or possibly rush Samson before he’s ready (hopefully he will be ready).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Save the hate for him for when you hear we didn’t have depth on the OL 👀
Season 2 Episode 3 GIF by Amazon Prime Video

What praise? That he will be missed more than Gaynor and Clark? That he would probably start at LT ahead of Rivers? You don’t think its reasonably possible that Cambell would indeed start at LT and Rivers would return to his natural position?

I’m not saying he’s McKinnie but he would have given us a swing tackle without having to play RIvers out of position or possibly rush Samson before he’s ready (hopefully he will be ready).

Rivers OT / Cooper OG >>>> Campbell OT / Rivers OG. ... And that's with me preferring Rivers at OG. That's how little I think of Campbell's ability to hold up under pressure come game time. I've been hoping he'd cross the chasm for 5 years, like Chris Washington and McLaughlin, it never happened. The guy is a JAG. I'd rather have kept Clark.

He left Miami so now I must HATE HIM

I don't hate Campbell. I just think he's a weak link and am happy he's gone. Jordan Miller, now that's a loss. All those kids that went to play for Lashlee, I wish them the best. Will probably watch their games to see how it turns out for them.

I just don't see it with Campbell. Zion and he both played horrifically vs UF four years ago. Since then, Zion has become a good-to-great football player. Campbell has been injured most of the time and looked terrible when healthy.

Grover - I prefer Campbell over the other two but you might be right. Let’s see how he performs with Rocky Top and how Rivers holds up at LT. Cohen’s interview with ON3 posted on the main board is encouraging.

Advertisement
Back