Joe Yearby

Yearby is hitting the hole much quicker than Duke!, I wonder why!?
Extra weigh is good for duke-lol My ***!
That extra weigh is affecting duke's explosion
Agreed, while he will still have a high YPC, there were a couple runs last night that I t hink pre weight gain Duke would've takin to the house vs the shoelace tackle

Advertisement
Yearby ++. I think he had a great game. Really coming into his own. I hope he has taken any carries Gus would have gotten for the rest of his career.

I definitely think that Gus is about to fall by the wayside. I don't see Yearby as some All-American but he's better than Gus. To tell the truth, he looks a ton like Graig Cooper--number, build, running style.

Depends what they do with Yearby moving forward.

If they pack the weight on to him like they have Duke then I can see him losing his effectiveness.

He's not a workhorse back, but he'll keep those chains moving all day if he's part of a rotation.

Maybe both. They'll put some weight on him but he may still end up best as a rotation back. He's a small guy frame-wise.

On the weight thing, the component people never talk about is that it's best for the PLAYER to gain weight in terms of their future. The NFL isn't clamoring for 175 lb scatbacks. It's hard to be a high draft pick below 200 lbs. If a small back wants to maximize draft status, you need to get to that 205 lb range and hopefully retain some of the quicks you had at 175. Ameer Abdullah did the same thing.

You just need to look at Duke's Freshman tape and compare it to now.

He looks great in both, but he's a much more dynamic player at a lighter weight. If he wants to be a 'workhorse' back in the NFL then yes the weight has been good for him - but imo he'd make just as much money as the dynamic guy in a rotation at a lighter weight. Nobody wants anything to do with a 190lb Johnson in the open field - he makes guys look foolish trying to tackle him.

I'm confused. How would he make money as a 190lb. scat back? The only back that I see that's 190 lbs. is Darren Sproles, and he's 5'6, Duke is 5'9. Basically, both backs have the same build already. Duke will be fine at the next level.

Advertisement
Yearby is hitting the hole much quicker than Duke!, I wonder why!?
Extra weigh is good for duke-lol My ***!
That extra weigh is affecting duke's explosion

Huh? Duke has looked tremendous this year , the best he has ever looked. The line was crap the first game and made no holes but Duke has been one of the top 3 backs in college this year . What is amazing about him is he insanely quick , fast and tough as **** to bring down. A true NFL back .
He's leading the country in all purpose yards but he dosent have any burst lol.

Love watching Yearby run. The way he uses his shoulders to manipulate defenders before he cuts is as good as it gets. Kid is just flat out exciting when he has the rock.... It reminds me of how I felt when watching Duke, Gore, Hester, Parrish, etc when they were frosh. I think his long speed might be better than we think, too. We will see how he grows but it's fun to watch.

We faced central 3 times in a two year period, and I can tell you with full certainty that we were glad to see Cook come into the game. We were able to maintain gap integrity and keep Cook in check. Joe was able to make guys miss and get big yardage. He's a football player all the way through. We just need him to develop his body. He has every other tool.

Yearby ran a 4.6 in the summer... so he will get faster.. im more glad we didnt lose him to USF , cause he didnt get through clearinghouse sooner than he thought and thought he was goin to be denied...

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];2004214 said:
Definitely special. Would love to see duke and him again next year but I think duke is gone.

Only way I think duke stays is if there is a new staff and he feels we can compete for a ship. Otherwise he should go and make his money.

Love watching Yearby run. The way he uses his shoulders to manipulate defenders before he cuts is as good as it gets. Kid is just flat out exciting when he has the rock.... It reminds me of how I felt when watching Duke, Gore, Hester, Parrish, etc when they were frosh. I think his long speed might be better than we think, too. We will see how he grows but it's fun to watch.

I will say he looked plenty fast on that td catch.

Advertisement
I definitely think that Gus is about to fall by the wayside. I don't see Yearby as some All-American but he's better than Gus. To tell the truth, he looks a ton like Graig Cooper--number, build, running style.

Yearby has instincts that Cooper could only dream of. Yearby makes moves quickly while continuing down field. Cooper tap danced and waited for defenders to fall down. There was a lot of wasted motion in Cooper, none in Yearby. I'd like to see about a 65/35 split in carries between Duke/Yearby from here on out.

Yearby is what Cooper should have been. Cooper ran too much east and west. Yearby runs north and south and gets it done.

Yearby is a stud.

Depends what they do with Yearby moving forward.

If they pack the weight on to him like they have Duke then I can see him losing his effectiveness.

He's not a workhorse back, but he'll keep those chains moving all day if he's part of a rotation.

Maybe both. They'll put some weight on him but he may still end up best as a rotation back. He's a small guy frame-wise.

On the weight thing, the component people never talk about is that it's best for the PLAYER to gain weight in terms of their future. The NFL isn't clamoring for 175 lb scatbacks. It's hard to be a high draft pick below 200 lbs. If a small back wants to maximize draft status, you need to get to that 205 lb range and hopefully retain some of the quicks you had at 175. Ameer Abdullah did the same thing.

You just need to look at Duke's Freshman tape and compare it to now.

He looks great in both, but he's a much more dynamic player at a lighter weight. If he wants to be a 'workhorse' back in the NFL then yes the weight has been good for him - but imo he'd make just as much money as the dynamic guy in a rotation at a lighter weight. Nobody wants anything to do with a 190lb Johnson in the open field - he makes guys look foolish trying to tackle him.

I'm confused. How would he make money as a 190lb. scat back? The only back that I see that's 190 lbs. is Darren Sproles, and he's 5'6, Duke is 5'9. Basically, both backs have the same build already. Duke will be fine at the next level.

jacquizz rodgers, dexter mcluster.....look em up you dont have to be over 200 lbs to be a back in the nfl

Advertisement
jacquizz rodgers, dexter mcluster.....look em up you dont have to be over 200 lbs to be a back in the nfl

Not the point.

It's about what would make him the most valuable and what would prolong his career.

People who talk a lot about Duke as a freshman, forget those games where he was ineffective and/or was limping off every other play.

The weight helps him withstand the punishment that will assuredly be dished out to a running back.

I lost count how many times I said prior to the season that Coley better figure of a way to get Yearby involved in the passing game. He's a completely mismatch out there. Good to see. His running style is a thing of beauty, he's just a bit undersized. Huge future in front of him but no surprise really.

We are going to be in good shape even if duke goes pro.

Yearby, with williams and Scarlett is going to be nice.

Don't forget Chocolate

Not the point.

It's about what would make him the most valuable and what would prolong his career.

People who talk a lot about Duke as a freshman, forget those games where he was ineffective and/or was limping off every other play.

The weight helps him withstand the punishment that will assuredly be dished out to a running back.

the way i look at it, workhorse backs in the NFL pretty much dont exist any more every team is going by committee approach, duke's best asset is his explosiveness and homerun ability in my opinion thats not going to be enhanced by packing on too much muscle, it will help withstand the punishment now and break more tackles at the college level but he's not going to be asked to carry the load for anyone at the next level, he's not gonna be counted on for durability with 25 touches a game. he'd be crazy not to drop weight at the nfl combine to showcase his speed and agility, believe me no scout is looking at duke and saying this is gonna be our 25 carry a game back, he's a third down, change of pace/special teams guy who can create mismatches. so why not enhance your natural strengths instead of artificially becoming a bruiser back. small backs like duke who i would compare in the nfl like lamichael james,or the other backs i mentioned, rodgers and mccluster would not become better nfl guys by going over 200 lbs.

Advertisement
Back