Joe Yearby...Please say it aint so...

Surprised he didn't go the CFL or Arena Football route. Or maybe he did and didn't make it there either? I'm so confused. This one truly hurts my heart. If Donnell Pumphrey made it to at least preseason (and he's done jack) I figured Yearby would've carved out a niche.

Advertisement
Yearby had some of the best feet I've ever seen on a RB, great vision too. He was a good CFB RB, he just didn't have great athleticism.

Anyone who rips on Joe is a dummy, he had a family to try to support and did what he though was best. Good college RB and wish him nothing but the best in the future, wish he was still here. DOn't think he or Richt did each any favors and didn't work out for either party.

JY should do Trojan commercials like the smokers with lung cancer that they drag out for the anti-cigarette PSAs.

I saw him out there and thought he was just hanging out and helping out. When I was told he was actually coaching there...

tenor.gif

Would've never known this was his fate.

Advertisement
Humble yourself, or life will do it for you.

No excuse for Yearby to decide to leave Miami before he even had an NFL evaluation. The only folks excusing his decision are homers or idiots. Because anybody thinking him leaving school early was the best opportunity for him to "feed the family" is clueless about how hard it really is to make an NFL roster.

No excuse for Yearby to decide to leave Miami before he even had an NFL evaluation. The only folks excusing his decision are homers or idiots. Because anybody thinking him leaving school early was the best opportunity for him to "feed the family" is clueless about how hard it really is to make an NFL roster.
or feed a family

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

He's better than Dalvin Cook

-Half of this board

To be fair, how surprised will you be if cook washes out of the NFL? It's a fair point that it will take Yearby a decade to make what cook already has, but I wouldn't put any money on cook amounting to much.

I'd be very surprised - the only way I see that happening is with injuries.

I never thought Yearby was comparable to Cook coming out of high school (which wasn't a popular opinion to put on the board back then).

He's better than Dalvin Cook

-Half of this board

To be fair, how surprised will you be if cook washes out of the NFL? It's a fair point that it will take Yearby a decade to make what cook already has, but I wouldn't put any money on cook amounting to much.

I'd be very surprised - the only way I see that happening is with injuries.

I never thought Yearby was comparable to Cook coming out of high school (which wasn't a popular opinion to put on the board back then).

No doubt cook is the more talented back, I just don't believe in anyone from fsu or uf being any good in the NFL until they prove it. I'll ride with cook ending up a bust...not because he's not talented, but because he came out of fsu.

Advertisement

or feed a family

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Shoulda stayed at the U while he put the kids on food stamps. He would have come out ahead.

Advertisement
Surprised he didn't go the CFL or Arena Football route. Or maybe he did and didn't make it there either? I'm so confused. This one truly hurts my heart. If Donnell Pumphrey made it to at least preseason (and he's done jack) I figured Yearby would've carved out a niche.

who's Donnell Pumphrey? Is he a real person? Sounds made-up.

He's a 5'8 (most likely 5'6) RB from San Diego St...broke all of Ron Dayne's records.

Advertisement
Directors of Player Personnel also look for people who can stick it out and adapt to circumstances. Yearby, like Brad, should have stayed.

He's a 5'8 (most likely 5'6) RB from San Diego St...broke all of Ron Dayne's records.

Just shows you how out of the loop I am. I was reading the list of final cuts in the NFL last night, and I was amazed at how few names I knew, except for former UM players. Back in the '80's, I followed NFL and more of college football, and I was familiar with many, if not most, of the names in both levels. I used to notice that a lot of well-known players, both rookies and established pros, who went in the last cut.

Now, I never watch an NFL game. I used to spend hours on Sunday watching games. I used to love the Dolphins, but have no idea who plays for them or even who the coach is. I couldn't name the Dolphin QB, but I remember Griese, Morrall, Strock, Woodley, even George Mira and Jim Jensen. I used to subscribe to Dolphin Digest. I would go to Dolphin games when they used to play the old Baltimore Colts. I've even attended a few Dolphin-Redskin games in old RFK Stadium.

For some reason, as I get older, I have just lost interest in virtually everything other than my beloved Canes. I'm amazed, in the thread about Trevor Trout, I mentioned that my sister (who is in her early '60's) exchanged some non-football related tweets with Trevor. She has no interest in football and she was surprised I was so interested in the young man (for obvious reasons). Then somebody asked me, "Are you a Cane?" Of course, like most of the fans on these boards, they don't recognize the significance of my handle, "The Matador," for UM football. Most have no idea who George Mira Sr. was and how exciting he was and so much fun to watch back in the early '60's.

Man, I grew up on UM football, following it through parts of seven decades, starting in the mid-50's. Last night I looked up Alabama's record in the '50's. There was one year that they went 0-10. We played them in '54 and '55 and beat them both times. I went ot one of the games, it must have been the 55 game, on a Friday night in the OB. (Loved those Friday night games, walking up the circular ramps, air filled with cigar smoke...it was such a great way to spend a fall evening in south Florida). I believe the Green Bay Packer legend Bart Starr, later the QB of the great Packer teams under Vince Lombardi, was QB for that miserable Alabama team.

Anyway, when somebody must think I'm an idiot because I don't know the current players, well, I just can't keep up anymore. I have so many other interests and so many other things besides sports to read about. I live in the Washington DC area, so there are always a lot of speakers about current events, politics, etc. and I'm very interested in those.

Still, I love watching my beloved Canes. I'm still excited about the young kids now and hope we're experiencing a resurgence. So, if I don't know current and recent players in the NFL or college football, don't hold it against me.

#MUGA MaketheUGreatAgain!

By the way, it's sad about JY. I recall watching him in some drills while at a camp during HS. He did have very quick nifty feet, almost amazingly so. I remember one drill, a one-on-one, and he had such nimble ability to just juke the defender. I've never forgotten that. He didn't seem to have great speed if he got daylight in the games, not overly big. So, I don't know if he had the skills that the NFL really needs for a long season. There are just too many backs with speed and ability, maybe bigger and faster. I think it was wishful thinking to hope that he could do better than Cook in college. Cook seemed to do the same thing at FSU that I saw in his Miami Central games. If he got a lane he was gone. Yearby never had that kind of ability. Very different kind of back. Maybe a little bit like a bigger Leonard Conley who was a nifty but very small and not overly fast RB who actually started for us in the late '80's, early '90's when he only weighed about 170. Guys like that are good as a change-of-pace but they can't be every down backs.

I was just thinking last night as I read the list of cuts how unfortunate it was that Kaaya didn't make it. He still might. I was watching a few of his hghlights and I am still impressed even if many on this board are not. He could throw deep with accuracy and touch and I think suffered from not having a great surrounding cast at times. His lack of mobility was an issue, so he couldn't get away from pressure. I wonder if he felt pressured by family to leave in the hopes of a big pay check. His mother's acting career ended long ago, she was a single mom, and I used to wonder how she got by. She was trying photography, I think cooking or at least developing recipes and teaching her way of cooking, at one time acting and even as a stand up comic. It might be cynical and unfair for me to suggest that there might have been a motive and perhaps she was pushing him to go pro, but I wonder. I think he might have been even more ready with a year under Richt.

Hope you don't mind the long post.

Just shows you how out of the loop I am. I was reading the list of final cuts in the NFL last night, and I was amazed at how few names I knew, except for former UM players. Back in the '80's, I followed NFL and more of college football, and I was familiar with many, if not most, of the names in both levels. I used to notice that a lot of well-known players, both rookies and established pros, who went in the last cut.

Now, I never watch an NFL game. I used to spend hours on Sunday watching games. I used to love the Dolphins, but have no idea who plays for them or even who the coach is. I couldn't name the Dolphin QB, but I remember Griese, Morrall, Strock, Woodley, even George Mira and Jim Jensen. I used to subscribe to Dolphin Digest. I would go to Dolphin games when they used to play the old Baltimore Colts. I've even attended a few Dolphin-Redskin games in old RFK Stadium.

For some reason, as I get older, I have just lost interest in virtually everything other than my beloved Canes. I'm amazed, in the thread about Trevor Trout, I mentioned that my sister (who is in her early '60's) exchanged some non-football related tweets with Trevor. She has no interest in football and she was surprised I was so interested in the young man (for obvious reasons). Then somebody asked me, "Are you a Cane?" Of course, like most of the fans on these boards, they don't recognize the significance of my handle, "The Matador," for UM football. Most have no idea who George Mira Sr. was and how exciting he was and so much fun to watch back in the early '60's.

Man, I grew up on UM football, following it through parts of seven decades, starting in the mid-50's. Last night I looked up Alabama's record in the '50's. There was one year that they went 0-10. We played them in '54 and '55 and beat them both times. I went ot one of the games, it must have been the 55 game, on a Friday night in the OB. (Loved those Friday night games, walking up the circular ramps, air filled with cigar smoke...it was such a great way to spend a fall evening in south Florida). I believe the Green Bay Packer legend Bart Starr, later the QB of the great Packer teams under Vince Lombardi, was QB for that miserable Alabama team.

Anyway, when somebody must think I'm an idiot because I don't know the current players, well, I just can't keep up anymore. I have so many other interests and so many other things besides sports to read about. I live in the Washington DC area, so there are always a lot of speakers about current events, politics, etc. and I'm very interested in those.

Still, I love watching my beloved Canes. I'm still excited about the young kids now and hope we're experiencing a resurgence. So, if I don't know current and recent players in the NFL or college football, don't hold it against me.

#MUGA MaketheUGreatAgain!

By the way, it's sad about JY. I recall watching him in some drills while at a camp during HS. He did have very quick nifty feet, almost amazingly so. I remember one drill, a one-on-one, and he had such nimble ability to just juke the defender. I've never forgotten that. He didn't seem to have great speed if he got daylight in the games, not overly big. So, I don't know if he had the skills that the NFL really needs for a long season. There are just too many backs with speed and ability, maybe bigger and faster. I think it was wishful thinking to hope that he could do better than Cook in college. Cook seemed to do the same thing at FSU that I saw in his Miami Central games. If he got a lane he was gone. Yearby never had that kind of ability. Very different kind of back. Maybe a little bit like a bigger Leonard Conley who was a nifty but very small and not overly fast RB who actually started for us in the late '80's, early '90's when he only weighed about 170. Guys like that are good as a change-of-pace but they can't be every down backs.

I was just thinking last night as I read the list of cuts how unfortunate it was that Kaaya didn't make it. He still might. I was watching a few of his hghlights and I am still impressed even if many on this board are not. He could throw deep with accuracy and touch and I think suffered from not having a great surrounding cast at times. His lack of mobility was an issue, so he couldn't get away from pressure. I wonder if he felt pressured by family to leave in the hopes of a big pay check. His mother's acting career ended long ago, she was a single mom, and I used to wonder how she got by. She was trying photography, I think cooking or at least developing recipes and teaching her way of cooking, at one time acting and even as a stand up comic. It might be cynical and unfair for me to suggest that there might have been a motive and perhaps she was pushing him to go pro, but I wonder. I think he might have been even more ready with a year under Richt.

Hope you don't mind the long post.

LqeOL.gif

Should have stayed in school if feeding his family was so important. I think he had an overexxagerrated idea of himself. His body didn't no change while he was here. Made no sense. Same as dumb decision by Kaaya that some people are intent on defending. I'm personally glad Kaaya left. Seeing Rosier avoiding sacks and getting two yards was gold to sore eyes. But for Kaaya it was a dumb decision.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back