Joe Yearby...Please say it aint so...

Advertisement
Yearby is one of my personal favorite RBs. Bruh had a big skillset, averaged 6.0 ypc. I bet if he stayed and teams had more film on him as a senior he would have at least been worth a late round flyer in the 7th. Great feet, great vision, average speed. I don't know why Joe Yearby gets so much hate on here.

The only issue I have seen people take with him is making the obvious mistake of leaving early instead of finish with a degree. It was obvious at the time, and its even more painfully obvious now.

I will admit I never said Yearby was better than Cook. But I wasn't worried about Cook going to FSU because we had Yearby. Joe HS tape was out of here. Really both of them and they may have made up the best High school duo I've ever seen in person. When they were in HS I was still living in Miami I didn't miss a game they had because you couldn't not want to go watch those two.

At Miami I've seen Yearby do things that haven't been done since Duke. Mainly vision wise. When I look at tape. I look at the RBs and the holes that they choose. I get frustrated whenever I see a RB leave yards on the field. Mark Walton left at least 500 extra yards on the field and If I took the time to do cutups of where he ran vs where he should have run you guys would see what I mean. The beautiful thing about Walton is that he breaks big runs sometimes from nothing.

Yearby is/was more a a consistent type of dude. No he wouldn't run for 20+ yard gains that often. I wish he stayed and that him and Walton could both carry the rock about 150 carries each.

Not a knock on Walton at all but you guys can go watch the film and you'll see how many holes even with a bad OL that Walton could have hit that he missed out on. So what I'm looking to see from Walton this season is a improvement in vision which will result in a higher YPC for him. He had 5.3 ypc last season. I'd like him to reach 6.5ypc on 250 carries this season before he heads to the league.

The problem, to me, is more institutional. Taking a chance at the NFL, even for practice squad at nearly $25,000/month is a "smart chance"; slightly better odds than buying a lottery ticket for an athlete like Yearby. (Had he been NFL legacy like Garrett or Simms he might have caught on, but it is what it is...). Yes, he could've stayed at UM for free room and board - and no bills, but he wouldn't be able to work to feed his kids. Leave, don't make the NFL..., and now you're staring at so many bills you can't do anything - and still fighting to feed your kids. Catch-22.

But, all that said, let's hope Yearby has serious entrepreneurial skills and the desire to go back and get his degree. I know that school isn't for everyone, but it's another task in his life that he can say he accomplished if nothing else. And, many people find their calling working for themselves than people who "get a job". I'm wishing him the best.

Advertisement
Hurts my heart man...I hope it isnt true he'd have made more money at UM if its true. Hoping its just a bad rumor. Hope he is still in school goes back to UM for his degree

Are people really this dumb or just this dumb at trolling? How the **** is he going to pay for tuition at UM? He is not getting free tuition if he is not on a football scholarship. Troll.

Advertisement
I hope he understands the importance of finishing his degree. Don't care if his major is janitorial services, he needs to graduate !

Hurts my heart man...I hope it isnt true he'd have made more money at UM if its true. Hoping its just a bad rumor. Hope he is still in school goes back to UM for his degree

Are people really this dumb or just this dumb at trolling? How the **** is he going to pay for tuition at UM? He is not getting free tuition if he is not on a football scholarship. Troll.

Most schools allow students to come back and finish their undergrad degree at any point, if the college athlete left with good in standing. So yearby cohld be 50yrs old and come back to finish up his degree with being charged.

He's better than Dalvin Cook

-Half of this board

giphy (1).gif

Advertisement

Unless you've been living completely under a rock, UM's policy of allowing student-athletes in good standing to return and finish their degrees free of charge has been well publicized and is one of the models used subsequently by many other universities.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

One of the very few things I'll hold against this staff. They did Yearby wrong. Look at the stats -- he produced when he got carries. We benched him for sorry *** Gus Edwards.

Advertisement
I was hoping he'd at least make a practice squad. I can understand why he left. He needs to earn income and figured his best chance to do that was now. He prolly knew his chances were slim, but figured the risk of playing another year wasn't worth it because if he's injured his chances go from slim to nonexistent.

One of the very few things I'll hold against this staff. They did Yearby wrong. Look at the stats -- he produced when he got carries. We benched him for sorry *** Gus Edwards.
This I agree with. I do not understand the appeal of Gus Edwards and that goes from the fans all the way through the staff. Between the two of them there's no question in my mind which one we be better off with having retained them on the roster.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Show me where the whiffed blocks show up on the stat sheet. Because Yearby was a **** matador out there. Not hating on the dude. It's just a fact. I wish we had him this year.

Advertisement
Back