Jimmy Johnson

Thought you were done??....Walsh that revolutionized NFL Offenses with his West Coast Spread Long (early 80s) before Erickson was at UM...and you think Ericksons Off gameplan against Bama was smart??...You have a Stable of Good too Great RBs....and you decide it would be better to run a one back too no back gameplan against Curry and Copeland, with a 5'8 160lb (soaking wet) RB..(Conley?) Leaving Torretta like a sitting Duck??....C'mon Man....
You must have not seen our oline Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith couldn’t run. Behind that bunch. Maybe you know more than G on thos topic also. Coach E 63-9, UM HOF. 2 NCs. Gino Heisman, UM ROH, UM HOF, Davey O’Brien and so on. Nuff said, next topic!

Advertisement
To summarize, 2 guys “debating” which coach, jj or Erickson had the better record at the U. Same guys also boasting who personally knows more former Cane players. In summary, it appears to me that both of these guys have very boring lives and need to brag and “debate” an issue to compensate for their inadequacies in the “real” world of everyday life.
I agree! I’m going to play golf. Thanks for your input as you are correct. I support my friends, nothing personal

You must have not seen our oline Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith couldn’t run. Behind that bunch. Maybe you know more than G on thos topic also. Coach E 63-9, UM HOF. 2 NCs. Gino Heisman, UM ROH, UM HOF, Davey O’Brien and so on. Nuff said, next topic!
Ive held Torrettas Heisman in my hands...dont need any lessons....Put what Erickson (really JJ) Put into the NFL and Canton..compared to Butch (under sanctions) and its downright embarrassing.
Not too mention who Butch closed on, being JJs Main recruiter...then it becomes a Mockery...

Schnelly over Butch.

Schnelly won a NC five years after the school nearly dropped to D2, or dropped the program altogether. He won the NC as a 17-point underdog to one of the best teams in CFB history.

Schnelly created The State of Miami.

Schnelly created The U.

I have the utmost respect what Butch accomplished to overcome crippling sanctions. Had he stayed at Miami he very well may have had a Pete Carroll-Nick Saban-Dabo Swinney type run. Two, three, even four NCs. But he didn't, and reasons don't matter.

Rankings:
1a - Schenelly
1b - Jimmy
2 - Dennis
3 - Butch

Advertisement
Thought you were done??....Walsh that revolutionized NFL Offenses with his West Coast Spread Long (early 80s) before Erickson was at UM...and you think Ericksons Off gameplan against Bama was smart??...You have a Stable of Good too Great RBs....and you decide it would be better to run a one back too no back gameplan against Curry and Copeland, with a 5'8 160lb (soaking wet) RB..(Conley?) Leaving Torretta like a sitting Duck??....C'mon Man....

Alabama's defense would have eaten up a run-first game plan, IMO.

Alabama's defense would have eaten up a run-first game plan, IMO.
Nobody said Run 1st....mix it up (which we surely didnt do) Lol....Lets play action to a 160lb RB....Yeah...thats the ticket...Look at the RBs on the 92 team....why weren't they implemented better??....I mean...Erickson was Bill Walsh 2.0 according to some people....Lol

Advertisement
Nobody said Run 1st....mix it up (which we surely didnt do) Lol....Lets play action to a 160lb RB....Yeah...thats the ticket...Look at the RBs on the 92 team....why weren't they implemented better??....I mean...Erickson was Bill Walsh 2.0 according to some people....Lol

Fair enough.

As painful as it is to write, Alabama was the better team. The 92 Miami team was on it's last legs by the time the Sugar Bowl started. Could have lost to FSU, Penn State. Arizona, and Syracuse. I'm not crowning Dennis as the Sid Gillman of the late 80s but he was an excellent game day coach. Horrible recruiter. Let the inmates run the asylum.

Fair enough.

As painful as it is to write, Alabama was the better team. The 92 Miami team was on it's last legs by the time the Sugar Bowl started. Could have lost to FSU, Penn State. Arizona, and Syracuse. I'm not crowning Dennis as the Sid Gillman of the late 80s but he was an excellent game day coach. Horrible recruiter. Let the inmates run the asylum.
Exactly....**** Poor OL??....who tf's fault was that??....You had from 89 to 92 to recruit OLmen....

The 92 Sugar Bowl wasn't a great game plan all around - but, that team was pretty arrogant overall. They did not show up for that game. They expected to win just by stepping on the field. They were staying at the Le Meridien on Canal St and partying every night (coaches included) while Stallings had his guys bunkered down in some $hithole in Mississippi, concentrating on winning the game.

Advertisement
To summarize, 2 guys “debating” which coach, jj or Erickson had the better record at the U. Same guys also boasting who personally knows more former Cane players. In summary, it appears to me that both of these guys have very boring lives and need to brag and “debate” an issue to compensate for their inadequacies in the “real” world of everyday life.

Don't mind guys debating, but the ****in' contest of who knows who is out there...........LOL...

We all want the best for our Canes, and when it comes down to the product on the field, we just want the talent to win us games, and get us on the road to Elite status..

History is great, but we want wins now, without debating re Coaches that are legacy material, not current or germane to our present Canes.
Start the who knows who on Manny, and we will all be in.

I am going to

The blame would have to be placed as Dennis' feet.

Does this mean Dennis gets credit for the 91 NC? I keep reading he won both NCs with Jimmy's players.
Don’t you know Coach E won all 63 games with Jimmy’s players and lost all 9 with his own guys.

Advertisement
Don’t you know Coach E won all 63 games with Jimmy’s players and lost all 9 with his own guys.

Haha.

I am just trying to give credit and blame where due.

Erickson certainly had his failings, namely recruiting and player discipline. He was an excellent game day coach and an offensive innovator. This doesn't mean he succeeded or failed 100%. He had bad games as coach ('90 at BYU, '94 Washington). He recruited Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Yatil Green, Kenard Lang, Kenny Holmes and some other great Canes.

Haha.

I am just trying to give credit and blame where due.

Erickson certainly had his failings, namely recruiting and player discipline. He was an excellent game day coach and an offensive innovator. This doesn't mean he succeeded or failed 100%. He had bad games as coach ('90 at BYU, '94 Washington). He recruited Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Yatil Green, Kenard Lang, Kenny Holmes and some other great Canes.
My original point was that Coach E doesn’t get enough credit here. Simple enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blame would have to be placed as Dennis' feet.

Does this mean Dennis gets credit for the 91 NC? I keep reading he won both NCs with Jimmy's players.
He most certainly did....The 88 class was JJs....Tez included....When JJ wanted someone from 84-88 he without ANY question sent Butch....Plain and Simple....whats funny and ironic at the same time is, once JJs kids left after the 91/92 season....things started going downhill in ref to recruiting....Once Butch's kids left at the end of the 2004 season...The exact same thing transpired....What a f-ing coincidence I tell ya....LoL....

Advertisement
Back