Jimmy Johnson

Advertisement
JJ perfected what Schnelly started. JJ's greatest attribute was his ability to adapt. Schnelly installed a pro style offense. JJ coming form Oklahoma State was running your typical run first offense. He gets here and changes his philosophy and runs the pro style offense and recruits the local speedy kids. I don't think JJ created the persona, but he saw who the kids were, tried to understand them and let them be who they were.
Remember what Cristobal said on "The U" 30 for 30 about Jimmy Johnson and all of the brashness...it was either two things you saw...what he coached us to do, or what he allowed them to do. Make no mistake about it Jimmy might have been the only coach we have ever had that could put a leash on our players so to speak (bad anology, but JJ was the only one who those guys wouldn't want to let down)

I agree. But there's a difference between a bad personnel decision in a single game and bad coaching.

I'm sure he figured Vinny would get back in the groove before it was over. As it was it was close. It probably would have been better if they jumped out to a bigger lead. Then he would have replaced a rusty Testaverde with Torretta.

What's your point? I'm only saying the loss to Penn State in the '86 Fiesta was all on Jimmy. He was in charge. He could have elected to not play Vinny. He could have benched Vinny during the game. He could have called for a different game plan. He could have called for different plays at the end, near the goal line. He didn't.

He would agree.

Even the best coaches have their bad games and worse moments. Pete Carroll with USC vs Texas, and against Pats in the Super Bowl. Bill Belichick and the undefeated Pats against the NY Giants. Nick Saban and the Kick-6 against Auburn. Urban Meyer against Iowa and Purdue the two seasons.

Advertisement
But Superfan can vilify our only Coach with 2 NCs
Nobody Vilified him....This entire f-ing thread is not my original intent....It was about JJ talking to Olivadotti.....YOU were the one who came into My thread with some Erickson babble that I've heard umpteen f-ing times prior to today.....Same BS to fit your Dennis Walsh agenda....Means absolutely nothing to me. I'll ask you this one more time, and I pray you'll be honest....
IF you took 31 schollies from Erickson in 89
Do you really think he Wins 89 and 91 NCs??
(Remember...Bad recruiter).....

What's your point? I'm only saying the loss to Penn State in the '86 Fiesta was all on Jimmy. He was in charge. He could have elected to not play Vinny. He could have benched Vinny during the game. He could have called for a different game plan. He could have called for different plays at the end, near the goal line. He didn't.

He would agree.

Even the best coaches have their bad games and worse moments. Pete Carroll with USC vs Texas, and against Pats in the Super Bowl. Bill Belichick and the undefeated Pats against the NY Giants. Nick Saban and the Kick-6 against Auburn. Urban Meyer against Iowa and Purdue the two seasons.
I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is it was a single bad decision, not a reason to think less of him.

We were also playing with a quarterback who had been in a scooter accident and hadn't played for 47 days. Had Geoff Toretta started, we would likely have another ring.
Big reason for Testaverde throwing so many interceptions. His timing was way off due to his time off from practice.

Advertisement
Coach's record after 5 years:
JJ
Record: 52-9 (.852)
Record vs Top 25: 19-7 (.731)
Record vs Top 10: 12-4 (.750)
Wins vs #1's: 4
NC's: 1

Erickson-
Record: 53-7 (.883)
Record vs Top 25: 16-6 (.727)
Record vs Top 10: 10-4 (.714)
Wins vs #1's: 2
NC's: 2
from a stat standpoint it's basically even.don't understand the argument both helped the canes to establish that great tradition we have. if saban hadn't recruited Kelly and a few others to help get it start ed we might not have that tradition nobody ever gives him any credit.

You must have not seen our oline Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith couldn’t run. Behind that bunch. Maybe you know more than G on thos topic also. Coach E 63-9, UM HOF. 2 NCs. Gino Heisman, UM ROH, UM HOF, Davey O’Brien and so on. Nuff said, next topic!
you guys are forgetting that year we had to use an undersized te as a tackle because the injuries the oline suffered that year.besides both sides represent ed the canes both were great as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is it was a single bad decision, not a reason to think less of him.

I rate Johnson the second best coach in Miami history. 1b, actually. I rate Schnelly 1a because he took over a program at the bottom, nearly discarded, and won a NC in five years. There might not be a football program had Schnelly failed to make the Canes respectable, let alone win a NC.

Johnson’s only real blemish is the Penn State game. 1984 was a transition year. 1985 was a great success, although Tennessee blew out Miami in the bowl game. UT was a really good team, ranked 6th, maybe 8th. 1986 should have been a NC, but oops. 1987 was vindication. 1988 was stolen by the refs, although Johnson would likely agree the game should not have come down to that. Miami was the better team.

Who knows how many NCs Johnson could have won at Miami has he stayed another 5 seasons, 10 seasons. I’d put the over at 3 in 5, 6 in 10. Eventually he’d burn out or leave for the NFL.

Last edited:
Advertisement
from a stat standpoint it's basically even.don't understand the argument both helped the canes to establish that great tradition we have. if saban hadn't recruited Kelly and a few others to help get it start ed we might not have that tradition nobody ever gives him any credit.

I give him credit.
It's just that it's a little tough to hang with guys like Howard and JJ.
Here's another stat and the reason why, in my mind, Johnson is clearly ahead of Erickson:
Each coach's record over their last 3 years...
(mostly their players and their system in place)

JJ
Record: 34-2 (.944)
Record vs Top 25: 14-2 (.875)
Record vs Top 10: 8-2 (.800)
Wins vs #1's: 3 (3-0)

Erickson-
Record: 30-6 (.833)
Record vs Top 25: 10-6 (,625)
Record vs Top 10: 5-4 (.555)
Wins vs #1's: 0 (0-2)
NC's: 0

I give him credit.
It's just that it's a little tough to hang with guys like Howard and JJ.
Here's another stat and the reason why, in my mind, Johnson is clearly ahead of Erickson:
Each coach's record over their last 3 years...
(mostly their players and their system in place)

JJ
Record: 34-2 (.944)
Record vs Top 25: 14-2 (.875)
Record vs Top 10: 8-2 (.800)
Wins vs #1's: 3 (3-0)

Erickson-
Record: 30-6 (.833)
Record vs Top 25: 10-6 (,625)
Record vs Top 10: 5-4 (.555)
Wins vs #1's: 0 (0-2)
NC's: 0
Exactly....Great post

Advertisement
The 92 Sugar Bowl wasn't a great game plan all around - but, that team was pretty arrogant overall. They did not show up for that game. They expected to win just by stepping on the field. They were staying at the Le Meridien on Canal St and partying every night (coaches included) while Stallings had his guys bunkered down in some $hithole in Mississippi, concentrating on winning the game.
Drove to NO from Atlanta for that game, what a nightmare that game was, having to hear Roll Tide every 2 minutes, I still have nightmares

Advertisement
Back