Jim Morris

What in the world are you guys talking about with Lovelady coming on as an assistant? He's a head coach at D-I school and has a record of 124-56 in 3 years. 69-18 in the conference. He was (is) in the mix for the FIU job, his name has talked about for other openings (and will be, rightfully so). He's not going anywhere as an assistant (unless he's fired from his next big (ger) time gig.

He's a head coach at Wright State. That's a nowhere job.

Plenty of head coaches at smaller schools have taken lead assistant jobs at big schools. It's a better stepping stone to a major head coaching job.

Stick to basketball dude.

Advertisement
This is what I posted on the coldbeer, er Jagr is banned thread.

Whenever I see a situation like this I'm reminded of the Shula/Marino years with the Dolphins. During that time we almost always had a winning season and got eliminate in the first round of the playoffs. Every Monday we'd hear the Jaromir types explaining that Shula was past his prime and Marino is nowhere near as good as people think he is. This went on from 1985 until Shula left in 95 and Marino in 99. Since then we've had mediocre quarterbacks and sub par coaches.

So great, let's get rid of Morris and in all likelihood we won't have to worry about watching college baseball in June. Hey, it worked so well when we got rid of Larry Coker, right?

Whenever I see a situation like this I'm reminded of the Shula/Marino years with the Dolphins. During that time we almost always had a winning season and got eliminate in the first round of the playoffs. Every Monday we'd hear the Jaromir types explaining that Shula was past his prime and Marino is nowhere near as good as people think he is. This went on from 1985 until Shula left in 95 and Marino in 99. Since then we've had mediocre quarterbacks and sub par coaches.

So great, let's get rid of Morris and in all likelihood we won't have to worry about watching college baseball in June. Hey, it worked so well when we got rid of Larry Coker, right?

With regards to Marino and Shula, they stayed the course. How did that work out?

There is no way to know for sure what will happen after #3 leaves. Right? He is leaving in two years. There won't be a firing.

I suppose it is worth asking. If we could duplicate the level of success for the next 15 years that we have had the past 15, are you satisfied? Would there be a need for change in your eyes?

With regards to Marino and Shula, they stayed the course. How did that work out?

The Dolphins were the winningest franchise in the NFL since the merger. They won a lot of games and made the playoffs a lot.

Since then they've fired a lot of coaches and made the playoffs once since 2001.

Leave it to you to completely miss the point of the post.

Man I Have a hard time watching people call for the head of a guy who just led his team to the best regular season record in the country, CWS is about getting hot at the right time and our boys didn't. We will be right in the thick of it again next year with a good squad. Yall need to chill Don't wanna replace him with "Al Golden"

Advertisement

The Dolphins were the winningest franchise in the NFL since the merger. They won a lot of games and made the playoffs a lot.

Since then they've fired a lot of coaches and made the playoffs once since 2001.

Of course, no team in sports history has ever benefitted from a coaching change. Just leave everyone in place.

Of course, no team in sports history has ever benefitted from a coaching change. Just leave everyone in place.

What is funny is for as many wins as they had, they had no rings together. That is the point, winning it all. And I have you to thank you for your reply with quote. Lol I got to see lets be a winning team with lots of wins and no titles again from Brian. He just doesn't seem to get it. Possibly the best team in NFL history ever, can not even be in the discussion because of Eli Manning and that Giant DL. But they sure were good. They can't be considered great bc they didn't win the super bowl, the championship, the essence of what greatness is.

But hey Shula and Marino won a lot of games and DM threw for a lot of yards.
NO RINGS

With regards to Lovelady, we are going to have to accept watching him go somewhere else and missing out on him. The only way Lovelady comes to UM is as the Head Coach and that will only happen in my opinion, if he stays at Wright State and waits out Morris. Even then, how true are the rumors of DiMare taking over? So Lovelady would then have to continue succeeding at another school and wait out DiMare.

Point being, I don't see Lovelady coming here short of an epic collapse or a change in AD and philosophy.

With regards to Lovelady, we are going to have to accept watching him go somewhere else and missing out on him. The only way Lovelady comes to UM is as the Head Coach and that will only happen in my opinion, if he stays at Wright State and waits out Morris. Even then, how true are the rumors of DiMare taking over? So Lovelady would then have to continue succeeding at another school and wait out DiMare.

Point being, I don't see Lovelady coming here short of an epic collapse or a change in AD and philosophy.

Gino has been ostensibly named coach for life starting in 2018. The fact that 3's designated replacement, a guy who has proven exactly nothing as a college baseball head coach AND can never be fired, is a much much bigger problem than Morris having another two years.

Advertisement

A statement that nobody ever said. But thanks for your dishonesty.

What's at issue here that people like you think that we'll automatically get better by getting rid the current coach.

There are just as many examples of programs getting worse than getting better. But you don't see that. Just fire every coach all the time.

What is funny is for as many wins as they had, they had no rings together. That is the point, winning it all.

And how many have they won since?

13 years together
5 Division Titles, 1 AFC Championship, .614 winning percentage

20 years since
2 Division Titles, 0 AFC Championships, .490 winning percentage

So the point is winning it all but they got farther away with that decision.

Boneheads.

Lol I got to see lets be a winning team with lots of wins and no titles again from Brian.

Wrong again.

The decision here is being a winning team with lots of wins and no Super Bowls to let's not be a winning team with not a lot of wins and no Super Bowls.

The Dolphins got worse and haven't recovered.

Your title or die standard is going to leave you dead a helluva lot.

Last edited:
I'm not willing to get rid of a coach that keeps getting me close to take a chance that a new coach will get me closer. The odds of finding just that right person are slim at best.

Advertisement

There is no way to know for sure what will happen after #3 leaves. Right? He is leaving in two years. There won't be a firing.

I suppose it is worth asking. If we could duplicate the level of success for the next 15 years that we have had the past 15, are you satisfied? Would there be a need for change in your eyes?

The fact that you chose 15 years instead of 16 answers that question.

The fact that you chose 15 years instead of 16 answers that question.

Excellent point, it has now been 16 years!

Gino has been ostensibly named coach for life starting in 2018. The fact that 3's designated replacement, a guy who has proven exactly nothing as a college baseball head coach AND can never be fired, is a much much bigger problem than Morris having another two years.
Missed this post as I was reading yesterday. This is spot-*******-on. Great post...this guy gets it.

Advertisement
What in the world are you guys talking about with Lovelady coming on as an assistant? He's a head coach at D-I school and has a record of 124-56 in 3 years. 69-18 in the conference. He was (is) in the mix for the FIU job, his name has talked about for other openings (and will be, rightfully so). He's not going anywhere as an assistant (unless he's fired from his next big (ger) time gig.

He's a head coach at Wright State. That's a nowhere job.

Plenty of head coaches at smaller schools have taken lead assistant jobs at big schools. It's a better stepping stone to a major head coaching job.

Stick to basketball dude.

No, dude, that's a dumb move, and anyone knows it. He's winning there, and winning big. He's being looked at by bigger schools. His next job will be HC at a bigger school, possibly in a power conference. He's not going anywhere to be an assistant. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Stick to fighting with Jagr.

Then yes, I will be happy with 2 championships, one runner up, 13 CWS appearances, 3 conference championships, and 23 NCAA tournament appearances in a 23 year span. You'd be a fool to not think that was impressive.

He's winning there, and winning big.

He's winning big? He's in the Horizon League. He went 25-4 in conference play his first year and didn't make the tournament because it's a crappy 1-bid league.

He's beating out such heavyweights as Oakland, Youngstown State and Northern Kentucky.

Winning big, alright.

Advertisement
Back