Jim L'sarranaga

Advertisement
L's biggest problem is his last of an offensive system. All we do is run a high pick n roll, pound the rock, force penetration from a one-on-one situation and chuck up bricks from 3. There's no ball movement, no motion, no screening away from the ball. We don't even push the tempo. Every basket we get is a death struggle.

The offense needs to be modernized. I think the recruiting is good, aside from the frontcourt. We can't recruit a PF or C for sh't.

L's biggest problem is his last of an offensive system. All we do is run a high pick n roll, pound the rock, force penetration from a one-on-one situation and chuck up bricks from 3. There's no ball movement, no motion, no screening away from the ball. We don't even push the tempo. Every basket we get is a death struggle.

The offense needs to be modernized. I think the recruiting is good, aside from the frontcourt. We can't recruit a PF or C for sh't.
And I'm beginning to realize that we can't recruit a big because they aren't involved in our offense. At all.

Advertisement
Not a huge fan of Coach L, but whenever there were plays to the big man under the basket, there was too much "oops whats this in my hands?" and not enough "Alley"...

...if Dewan were back (and healthy) - or the equivalent - we might be seeing more passing plays like that. By the way, seems like the Raptors are giving Dewan another shot, although starting again in G league, as of Dec 19th. Good Luck Dewan.

Gotta hope for a Luka Garza situation. Not highly recruited at all out of his DC-area private school. Credit to Iowa for doing their research and listening to his HS coach when others did not.

Advertisement
It’s time for new life into this program. Force L to retire and find a young hungry innovative mid major coach.
Why do you only need a young, innovative mid-major coach? Michigan hired Juwan Howard who had never even coached in college. Rick Barnes was a retread at Texas and has Tennessee in the top 10 year after year. Same thing with Kelvin Sampson at Houston.

Why do you only need a young, innovative mid-major coach? Michigan hired Juwan Howard who had never even coached in college. Rick Barnes was a retread at Texas and has Tennessee in the top 10 year after year. Same thing with Kelvin Sampson at Houston.
You’re right. Doesn’t have to be a mid major young coach. Was just trying to be realistic because we’re too cheap to go another route.

Advertisement
Think we need a "high energy" coach who is, first and foremost, a charismatic recruiter. Sorta like a Donovan, Pitino or Cal, when they were just starting out!

For every Juwan, there's an Isiah Thomas at FIU. With the older coaches/retreads -- you have to wonder if they are on the downhill slope.

It's not as if we don't have a great product to sell -- nice facility, campus, great league to showcase your wares, even some success to crow about, etc. In the right hands, we could have a great future.

Downside would be keeping a coach who really succeeded here! And I believe that is a big reason why we have tended to pick guys who don't really fit that upwardly mobile profile.

Although I think Coach L bears some responsibility, the players have to share some of the blame. In the BC game some of the players were freelancing and not following what Coach L was calling for. He threw up his hands and turned his back in disgust after a player threw up a 3 ball without even looking to see if we had any other options. He does not have enough healthy players where he can afford to sit anyone for any length of time for freelancing. I think the players know this and continue to do what they want for themselves and not the team.

Think we need a "high energy" coach who is, first and foremost, a charismatic recruiter. Sorta like a Donovan, Pitino or Cal, when they were just starting out!

For every Juwan, there's an Isiah Thomas at FIU. With the older coaches/retreads -- you have to wonder if they are on the downhill slope.

It's not as if we don't have a great product to sell -- nice facility, campus, great league to showcase your wares, even some success to crow about, etc. In the right hands, we could have a great future.

Downside would be keeping a coach who really succeeded here! And I believe that is a big reason why we have tended to pick guys who don't really fit that upwardly mobile profile.
I'm sure Frank Martin will get another look although South Carolina hasn't been great since that miracle Final Four run. Could see Eric Konkol being the move given how well he's performed at La Tech.

Advertisement
I'm sure Frank Martin will get another look although South Carolina hasn't been great since that miracle Final Four run. Could see Eric Konkol being the move given how well he's performed at La Tech.

Konkol makes NO sense at this point. Here is a fun fact, if he never worked for Coach L, you would never bring him up based on his tenure at LT.

Konkol needs to win that conference and make the NCAAT. Start there.

At the very least, L needs to shake up his staff. The current staff simply isn't getting it done. Remember the days when we used to overachieve with a bunch of 3 star recruits? Now we have a roster with mostly 4 star, highly recruited guys and we're bottom of the barrel in the ACC.

Although I think Coach L bears some responsibility, the players have to share some of the blame. In the BC game some of the players were freelancing and not following what Coach L was calling for. He threw up his hands and turned his back in disgust after a player threw up a 3 ball without even looking to see if we had any other options. He does not have enough healthy players where he can afford to sit anyone for any length of time for freelancing. I think the players know this and continue to do what they want for themselves and not the team.
You may very well be right that some players are lackadaisical or not always doing their best for team play due to general circumstances, displeasure with what others are getting away with, and due to roster and team management. I don't really like "the buck stops here" accusation, but if you don't point fingers directly at the coaching staff for such a plight, well...

You may very well be right that some players are lackadaisical or not always doing their best for team play due to general circumstances, displeasure with what others are getting away with, and due to roster and team management. I don't really like "the buck stops here" accusation, but if you don't point fingers directly at the coaching staff for such a plight, well...
I've never once heard L or his staff say they need to do a better job. They either blame the players for lack of execution or blame circumstances such as injuries. L is less accountable than Randy Shannon at this point.

Advertisement
Back