Jim L'sarranaga

When I heard Coach L talk about how bad the team shots 3s, I immediately thought each perimeter player needs to shot 300 3s per day during the season to improve their shooting.
Some people laughed at the idea and said that is not how it works.
Well, he did it and he is on the verge of being an NBA All Star.
Your honor, I rest my case.

Advertisement

When I heard Coach L talk about how bad the team shots 3s, I immediately thought each perimeter player needs to shot 300 3s per day during the season to improve their shooting.

I mean, should any coach recruit a perimeter player these days who is not a very good (at minimum) 3 point shooter? I would say no, emphatically. Today's game just does not allow for it (except maybe in the case of a lightning quick, exceptional PG).

With our current roster, it's like L set out to only recruit players who can't shoot from outside.

Advertisement

The actual press conference is here:

The basketball part starts at around 8:30. Its somehow worse than the tweets indicate. Not only is he basically dismissive of L even being on the hot seat, he throws in a Covid excuse as well, as if every other team in the country isn't dealing with it too.

Did mention having a talk with Jim after the season about what they can do differently, but I suspect he does that every year, successful or not.

Watch Fox' shooting form, then compare it to Timberlake/Wong/Beverly etc. I didn't say practicing was useless, I said until you fix the underlying problems with their form, practice won't help much.

Also worth noting, Fox' jumper is a lot smoother now than it was in college. Practice is helpful once you've mastered the technique, but if you're practicing bad technique, you're just reinforcing bad habits. Timberlake could take a million shots from his nose every day, its not gonna turn him into a good shooter, primarily because he shoots from his f cking nose.

I mean, should any coach recruit a perimeter player these days who is not a very good (at minimum) 3 point shooter? I would say no, emphatically. Today's game just does not allow for it (except maybe in the case of a lightning quick, exceptional PG).

With our current roster, it's like L set out to only recruit players who can't shoot from outside.

And the one good shooter he did get, he booted for... reasons.

Maybe that was the problem; Matt was too good of a shooter. We can't have those kinds of players around here, so off you go.

Advertisement

Isn't Coach L the guy who talks about player development during the recruiting process. If he sees a guy struggling to make jump shots, he should be the first guy in the gym with the player working on shooting.
I guess the definition of coaching has changed or I am missing something.

Watch Fox' shooting form, then compare it to Timberlake/Wong/Beverly etc. I didn't say practicing was useless, I said until you fix the underlying problems with their form, practice won't help much.

Also worth noting, Fox' jumper is a lot smoother now than it was in college. Practice is helpful once you've mastered the technique, but if you're practicing bad technique, you're just reinforcing bad habits. Timberlake could take a million shots from his nose every day, its not gonna turn him into a good shooter, primarily because he shoots from his f cking nose.

I think his form was impacted by the injury to his left arm that has caused him to miss the season.

I'm not fond of the technique of some of our shooters, and agree with most of the comments about practicing. For me, the Free Throw problems (a few spurts of adequacy or better, but generally we suck) might make for an observation...

...wasn't it Rick Barry who did quite well at FT with his underhand shot? Meaning: one can have a bad technique at free throw shooting but master it, with practice and aim, so I'm all for the extra practicing. Certainly at the Free Throw line and certainly my buddy Beverly! As to in-game-contested-3-throws, it gets a bit more complicated, maybe.

Advertisement

The basketball part starts at around 8:30. Its somehow worse than the tweets indicate. Not only is he basically dismissive of L even being on the hot seat, he throws in a Covid excuse as well, as if every other team in the country isn't dealing with it too.

Did mention having a talk with Jim after the season about what they can do differently, but I suspect he does that every year, successful or not.

This idiot probably thinks not using all of the scholarships is a good thing as it helps the bottom line.

One of the easiest skills to learn in basketball is shooting. Repetition and muscle memory. If you're a basketball player that wishes to play at a high level, then you should be in the gym putting up at least 3-400 makes a day. Doesn't matter how many you take, but how many you make.

Advertisement

Sickening. Lol at Covid being an excuse. We're one of the few teams that hasn't had anyone miss time due to Covid.

I suspect "not having everyone get hurt" doesn't need to be said to Jim Larranaga.

But that isn't cliche enough so "what can be done differently" is a better meaningless phrase to throw out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back