Jhavonte Dean decommits from Bama

Lots of Canes "fans" around here surrrrrre quick to defend the honor of Alabamy and the $EC in general......at every instance. Not one off arguments about the facts of a specific situation but more of a devotion to Lil Nicky and the mightiest conference in all the land. I'm about to ignite a grease fire. Please feel free to die in it.

Advertisement
so looking at his highlights I can see why the coaches want to take a chance on him. he's long and looks athletic (I don't see 4.3 but we'll see)

positives-
he uses his length and height well
decent feet and hips
shows some make up ability
played some slot at 6'1/6'2
he made covering the WR's he faced look easy

needs to work on:
takes some false steps
didn't look physical in press at all
needs to get stronger
needs technique work

overall:
I don't think he's as ready to plug and play as a starting CB as other people made him out to be but all the areas of concern are coachable and we've seen Rumph make improvements with physically gifted CB (Corn, Colbert). I'll bet on Rumph having him ready to start by week 1 and expect Dean to at least have Colbert's floor his first year with a higher ceiling.

so looking at his highlights I can see why the coaches want to take a chance on him. he's long and looks athletic (I don't see 4.3 but we'll see)

positives-
he uses his length and height well
decent feet and hips
shows some make up ability
played some slot at 6'1/6'2
he made covering the WR's he faced look easy

needs to work on:
takes some false steps
didn't look physical in press at all
needs to get stronger
needs technique work

overall:
I don't think he's as ready to plug and play as a starting CB as other people made him out to be but all the areas of concern are coachable and we've seen Rumph make improvements with physically gifted CB (Corn, Colbert). I'll bet on Rumph having him ready to start by week 1 and expect Dean to at least have Colbert's floor his first year with a higher ceiling.

While I don't know what his floor is, agree with the post. Nobody was expecting Colbert to be as reliable as he was (when he was on the field). Dean will be fine, so long as he applies himself. Colbert knew he'd been given a real opportunity and that clearly motivated him. Dean needs to cut the games as soon as he steps on campus and he'll be solid.

Get him to Gus!

Some of what ails Dean can be cured by a great SC/Nutrition program.

I like him and we need him. He needs some finishing work.

Advertisement
Get him to Gus!

Yeah I think those assuming he starts immediately might be a little ahead of themselves. He needs some work, but the potential is there. That said, I feel we really need this kid. I think having a little veteran presence will help the young guys. The defense always looked better when Colbert was healthy.

Get him to Gus!

When are JUCOS allowed to sign and come to campus? I think I read somebody saying that he cant come untill the summer???

***king hilarious. If we didn't land this kid, Richt would have been crucified, and Dean would be considered the second coming of Patrick Peterson that we let slip away.

Now if we land this kid, he's trash leftovers that Bama didnt want and Arizona State caliber only.

I expect this from FSU trolls like blackvern, but are there actual Cane fans that fall for this swill? smdh.

This is the nature of this board. I'm just curious & this isn't for you but everyone. If the main argument for Chris henderson & the reason for taking him is this game changing speed (physically everything else is very similar)than what could logically be the argument against taking Dean? You all should be sold just cause of his verified speed... the fact that his intangibles are also very similar to Henderson should just be the icing on top of the cake.

***king hilarious. If we didn't land this kid, Richt would have been crucified, and Dean would be considered the second coming of Patrick Peterson that we let slip away.

Now if we land this kid, he's trash leftovers that Bama didnt want and Arizona State caliber only.

I expect this from FSU trolls like blackvern, but are there actual Cane fans that fall for this swill? smdh.

This is the nature of this board. I'm just curious & this isn't for you but everyone. If the main argument for Chris henderson & the reason for taking him is this game changing speed (physically everything else is very similar)than what could logically be the argument against taking Dean? You all should be sold just cause of his verified speed... the fact that his intangibles are also very similar to Henderson should just be the icing on top of the cake.

For the record, I am very pro taking both Henderson and Dean. I think most people here want them both as well.

I would guess the argument against Dean would be that he only has 2 years to develop here and is supposed to be more of a quick fix. While Henderson would have 4 years to grow as a player and eventually take a spot.

Just to be clear I want them both.

Advertisement
He was a backup at in juco?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Lesean Mccoy was a back up to Cooper and we know how that turned out

That wound is too fresh. Please don't go there. The genius of onions recruiting strategy. Don't act like coop wasn't the truth though. He just shouldn't have been THE featured back opposed to A featured back in a stable of backs. No reason we didn't resign Lesean also.

For the record, I am very pro taking both Henderson and Dean. I think most people here want them both as well.

I would guess the argument against Dean would be that he only has 2 years to develop here and is supposed to be more of a quick fix. While Henderson would have 4 years to grow as a player and eventually take a spot.

Okay. So 4 years to 2? Problem with that is Dean is (or was )the #1 juco cb in the country. While henderson has no real clue how to play the position at this level & will require atleast a couple years of development before hes playing at a high level.key is to remember the speed is an intangible. The fact is they're being brought here to play CB. 2 years is the best you can hope for out of either of them.

Okay. So 4 years to 2? Problem with that is Dean is (or was )the #1 juco cb in the country. While henderson has no real clue how to play the position at this level & will require atleast a couple years of development before hes playing at a high level.key is to remember the speed is an intangible. The fact is they're being brought here to play CB. 2 years is the best you can hope for out of either of them.

That's a good point.

Advertisement
Is that what happened?

I always wondered what the situation was. He committed out of the blue and then I never heard anything about him again....

He would've been a quality RB here. Cooper.....really wasn't Miami quality....

And we had McCoy committed and signed his LOI, but he couldnt qualify

@brooklyn

I don't see posters arguing against taking Dean. Our DB depth is woeful, and adding an experienced corner w/ his speed is a no brainer.

Assuming Chris comes to UM, and I think he's UF bound, I still think he is a weapon on offense and would try him there, especially if that's where his heart is. His best highlights are on offense as I believe you and others have pointed out.

Having said that he will see the field early as a db if for no other reason than depth issues. Remember too that our out of conference schedule is ideal for young players to get quality minutes, and don't discount the impact on his development of him going against elite teammates at receiver every day.

I agree that it will take him some time to get to the level where we trust him to go against top receivers in game situations, but I think that's a function of how much playing time he gets and how committed he is to getting better, but I see him being good to go in year two if he plays a lot in year one.

Advertisement

This exactly! ^^^

Is that what happened?

I always wondered what the situation was. He committed out of the blue and then I never heard anything about him again....

He would've been a quality RB here. Cooper.....really wasn't Miami quality....

And we had McCoy committed and signed his LOI, but he couldnt qualify

Yep...he would have been a monster here... Cooper was a 5 star at prep school averaging 10 yards per carry.... he was highly sought after...Cooper was ok here...

Advertisement
Back