Jess Simpson recruiting impact

They don't all stay in Texas. We've had a lot of very good players from Texas--we just haven't tried much in recent years.

Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis started our Texas recruiting but it it pretty much died in the last decade or so. The last head coach to recruit Texas was Coker. Golden particularly had never heard of Texas so he never recruited there.

Golden never heard of a 4-3 either. That dumb ****.

Advertisement
I hear you Rell, but S. Florida alone just won't cut it. Not enough quality linemen below I-4 on an annual basis. We need Georgia to fill about 5 key spots each class.

Georgia ranks 4th behind Texas for most players sent to the NFL. Cali kids -- too far to uproot. Texas - forget about it; they stay in Texas. Georgia is perfect for finishing off our classes each year. There is much love for the Canes in GA.

Lots of TX kids leave the state. They go to Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU and many other states. We haven't put much in much effort there for at least 15 years. But as others pointed out, Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis always had several TX kids on their rosters.

Gus Malzahn had only been a high school coach when he was hired as Arkansas OC. And again Soldinger did alright at Miami after high school.

To be fair, while he was a very good high school coach, but he got that job largely due to Mitch Mustain.

You'd think it'd have a huge impact

MV5BZDFjZGNmNDgtZGU0NC00YWY0LTg3ZWQtZDAzZDE2ODBjYTNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgzMzAzMjE@._V1_.jpg
Forget them five star recruits, we going after DDs now!

Advertisement
Besides that his former HC is now coaching in Miami. I assume he was his HC since Simpson coached there until 2016. Also, the guy is a legend in GA and especially at the school he won a bunch of championships with. Not saying the kid will come, but it isn't unrealistic that there will be some interest
We’ve already seen how much the kids care about following a hs coach to college.

And that’s part of the problem. The kid has an offer from every school in the ACC except Duke, BC, Syracuse, Pitt...and Miami. All the top programs have offered this kid except Miami. Why? Columbus, South Bend and Palo Alto are not close to home. and if you’re one of the people (not saying you are) who would say that Miami would be a culture shock...then the Palo Alto will kill a kid from Buford.

Maybe the family told Searels or Richt to pound sand, I don’t know, but it’s strange that a near 5-Star kid doesn’t have an offer (according to 247) at a position where Miami will always need top flight talent.

Some might say it was because Kool was a lazy recruiter for us

Advertisement
Bro, I def agree...I'm just saying if we have a stud So Fla DL and there's a stud GA DL, I would hope we wouldn't skip out on the So. Fla DL b/c Simpson has connects in GA. We're just now starting to get love in So. Fla and even now it's still sketchy. I just don't want to focus on GA, is all I'm saying. All of the post kept saying his connects in GA, and I appreciate that...but we still need beast recruiters to take care of home, first.

100% agree. S. Fl first and foremost without question. We are not the Canes, otherwise.

Georgia simply to round out the classes each year. They’ve got some studs across the border, and sadly many of them are more loyal to the U than some of our home grown b*tches (won’t speak their names!).

Lots of TX kids leave the state. They go to Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU and many other states. We haven't put much in much effort there for at least 15 years. But as others pointed out, Jimmy Johnson and Butch Davis always had several TX kids on their rosters.

I definitely remember those days. Just saying that our incompetent staffs of the past decade have let our pipeline into Texas die out. It will take awhile to rebuild so we can’t rely on Texas right now.

GA should be our out of state poaching spot right now.

I definitely remember those days. Just saying that our incompetent staffs of the past decade have let our pipeline into Texas die out. It will take awhile to rebuild so we can’t rely on Texas right now.

GA should be our out of state poaching spot right now.
That was when we were in our prime and The U meant championships and NFL. We gotta knock alabaga off recruiting success in SoFL and out of the playoffs.

Advertisement
And that’s part of the problem. The kid has an offer from every school in the ACC except Duke, BC, Syracuse, Pitt...and Miami. All the top programs have offered this kid except Miami. Why? Columbus, South Bend and Palo Alto are not close to home. and if you’re one of the people (not saying you are) who would say that Miami would be a culture shock...then the Palo Alto will kill a kid from Buford.

Maybe the family told Searels or Richt to pound sand, I don’t know, but it’s strange that a near 5-Star kid doesn’t have an offer (according to 247) at a position where Miami will always need top flight talent.

Pretty sure will ha on son if Simpson is indeed hired..

Rick has an incredible track record of hiring fairly unknown coaches who turn out to be monster recruiters. Hoping he struck gold again with Simpson, and I think he did. You don't win like Simpson did and rise like he did without a convincing and winning personality that draws people in.

If we can set up shop in So Fla and GA, and cherry pick every where else like we did with Jordan, we're going to be good shape, at least good enough to play for the ACC Championship game every year. Coach Simpson is automatically going to get our foot in the door with a lot of programs in GA. but you have to look at it from a Territory standpoint, and not by position. Like Coach Hartly has set up shop in Duval, which makes bringing in the position coach to pursue that prospect much easier. I see the same setup with Simpson in the Atlanta area. I know it's a lot better than trying to establish a pipeline with NJ and NY recruits.

Advertisement
If we can set up shop in So Fla and GA, and cherry pick every where else like we did with Jordan, we're going to be good shape, at least good enough to play for the ACC Championship game every year. Coach Simpson is automatically going to get our foot in the door with a lot of programs in GA. but you have to look at it from a Territory standpoint, and not by position. Like Coach Hartly has set up shop in Duval, which makes bringing in the position coach to pursue that prospect much easier. I see the same setup with Simpson in the Atlanta area. I know it's a lot better than trying to establish a pipeline with NJ and NY recruits.

Well, to be fair, we've gotten some good ones out of NJ over the years. McKinney, Olsen, Njoku, etc. Just because we hit Georgia doesn't mean we can't look in any other state.

IMO the rough formula should be -- 50% from South Florida (Dade/Broward/Palm Beach), 25-30% from the rest of FL, and 20-25% from out-of-state.

Obviously given out connections, Georgia should figure heavily in the out-of-state category.

Agree about NJ - we should always recruit up there.

Miami has had solid players from there going back decades.

On the other hand, we have to keep getting these north Florida and Georgia players in each class. Very fertile areas to find quality ball players.

Advertisement
Back